Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy!

I found little Mira on the side of the interstate, about 2 1/2, 3lbs of skin and bones.

She has little to no hair on her legs and paws, elbows, and ears.

I never thought I'd like chihuahuas, I always thought they were "Yappy" and too small.

That was until I found this little gem.

She's tiny, and scares me a little that I'll hurt her, but she's so sweet, and loving despite all she's been through.

She goes to the vet tommorrow to get a check up and see if her missing hair is just malnourishment, or something more.

My name's Ashleigh, and I'm a newly-turned Chi-lover.

This is Mira, day 1.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Oh my goodness!! How adorable. So wonderful of you to stop and get her into your car. A vet visit is always good to see if there are any issues? I wonder if she is pregnant and the people dumped her???? Good luck with her. Sue

·
Registered
786 Posts
She is absolutely adorable!!!! My Chi is 1.8 - 2lbs (depending on if her belly is full - LOL!) and she is 8 to 9 months old. Not skin & bones, just a "tiny structure!" - trust me, her belly is kinda pudgy ;) LOL! I think your little lady will be back to perfect health in no time. Get her on a good diet, a vet visit, and she'll be wonderful!

And yes - I never thought I would be a Chi owner either & then I found my Ote. I never knew I could love an animal this much - she's like a child! Chi's steal your heart!!! Not the yappy, bothersome stereotype that people make them out to be, are they!? :)

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
You are so wonderful to save her. I can't imagine she would have survived if you hadn't rescued her. She will fill your life with love.

·
Registered
946 Posts
I am so happy for you both! Good luck with the vet check.... And come back to the forum often! We have such wonderful people here with great advice, support & fun to share ( I am grateful that I found this site--I was new to the Chi breed to) :):):)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mira's vet check went well, no heartworms, or mites.

We're waiting on the Ringworm culture.

The vet thinks she's around 8 years old, if not a little older, perhaps.

The only bad news is: No microchip.

Granted, it's bittersweet.. I feel bad for her old owner (unless she was dumped. In which case, what a jerk!) - but I'm happy that we might get to keep her after all.

She's fast becoming my best buddy.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Do not feel bad. Unless she was stolen (unlikely) or there is a town very close by and somehow she escaped, she was probably dumped.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Oh she really is a beauty :) A lovely Chi for a lovely owner! She was very lucky such a kind person picked her up! Im sure she'll have a fab life with you!
Keep us updated and would love to see more pics :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
We picked up a pretty pink collar (With tags!) , harness, and leash for her at Petco, along with some Blue Buffalo puppy chow and Missing link vitamin stuff.

Good news - She loves it! She also loves being dressed up, much to my father's displeasure - he hates putting clothes on dogs.

Oh well, the vet says if she goes out, she needs a sweater! Lol.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
You really should see if she has an owner first. She may have gotten loose and they are desperately looking for her. With all my strays, I run ads in the newpaper and online for the required two weeks. Different states have different laws, here in CA you must look for the first owner two weeks before legally the dog is yours. Otherwise, it's called stealing. I know if it was one of my dogs, I would be devastated if one got out and the person finding it decided to keep it.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I have to agree with Pam, and as I stated in your other thread - she just looks like she belongs to someone!! Yes, she's thin, but she came to you when you called her, and you found her along the road. Perhaps someone stopped at a rest stop on the interstate and she got out and got lost! A little 3 pound chi would NOT survive on its own very long. What is it going to eat? How would it get out of the weather? It would be lunch for a coyote or a hawk in an instant. I just believe that she is someone's PET and somehow got away from her owners.

If she is abandoned, then by all means - keep her! But you have to TRY and find her owners! You can't just assume that this little dog you found on the side of the road is yours now. That is theft. If her owners are out there looking for her, you have an OBLIGATION to find them!!!

Edit: I just read where you said she likes to be dressed up!! That confirms it! She has belonged to someone. Otherwise she would not tolerate it. Dogs have to be trained to like clothes and get used to it. Oh, please please please try and find her owners. They are probably worried sick. :(

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have contacted my local agency - and was informed the hold for strays is only 3 days.

However!

We have called papers for towns nearby where I found her, and the nearest animal shelter .

The papers were given the ad asking to call with a description, and the Animal Shelter was given a full description and emailed photo.

I was told the same thing, however, that after 3 days, legally, we would then be her new owners.

If anyone has any other suggestions - I'm open.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Thank you for doing this. The only other thing I can think of is check the paper and Craigslist lost and found, too.

·
Registered
1 Posts
she is adorable!!! how admirable that you saved her and took her in. don't worry about hurting her... she might be little but i bet she's tough!

·
Registered
801 Posts
( Just reading this for the first time )

Yes she more than likely belongs to someone,
and I sure hope she has a chance to reunite with them.
If I lost one of mine I would be beside myself with worry.
I'm sure after being around her a short while you can see
how upsetting it would be to lose her.

However, that does not negate what an amazing thing
you did by saving her. She was lost and would not have
made it on her own. Even if you find her owner, what
you did still makes you a hero in my book and hers too
I'm sure.

Update us when you can please!

·
Registered
371 Posts
Hi Mira,
It's a great thing that you saved this chi's life. She seems definitely grateful too. I don't think she would have made it out there without you!
Everybody's right though, she seems like she was a loved pet, and people don't just dump their pets off the side of the road. I wanted to keep every lost dog I found on the street when I was little so I can feel your bittersweet pain when you know she might be reunited with her owners, and I cheer your efforts in doing so!

·
Registered
655 Posts
Awwww! She has such wise, kind eyes.
And you are a hero! My little chi mix is a
rescue dog, too. They are so grateful and
appreciative to get a loving home.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
She is too cute! But I'm betting also that she belongs to someone. Most animal control facilities will give 3-7 days legally before you can claim the dog as your own; but I would definitely network online if you can. Definitely put an Ad up on Craigslist (but make the description vague, do NOT include pix; and make sure anyone who claims the dog is able to identify some markings on her or even provide pictures that she belonged to them (to deter anyone just looking to steal her.) Just say "Found Chihuahua on (Intersection or Street name) ; Email and describe your lost dog in detail to determine if it is yours. Send photos if able." You can also put one up on Ebayclassifieds.com. And even check google Lost Dogs plus your area. I know in IL we have a "lost dogs illinois" page on Facebook that gets updated daily with new lost and founds. I definitely understand wanting to keep her; but IMO you should make plenty of effort to try finding her old owner. Maybe even posting fliers (again, NO photos!) in nearby cities Post Offices. Some folks wouldn't even think to call animal control or anything and may just be looking the old fashioned way for posters etc. (Or, they may have Lost Dog posters up somewhere too.)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts