Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone!
I am so glad I found this forum. I have just adopted my first chihuahua on saturday and have so many quesitons. I have owned dogs before, and am currently living with my mum and dad who has a westie (bear and the westie (Jack) are already great mates which im stoked about!) but I have never had small dogs.
Well, I am already in love of course.
My little chi man is 9 weeks old, and his name is Bear. He is the most outgoing little character, full of beans and very happy...until I have to leave him alone, then the whimpering and howling starts...so this leads to my first question...

How do i prevent separation anxiety?? Last night he was going crazy, and I went in to try and calm him down and he had pooped EVERYWHERE. It was slightly runny too, and he had walked all through it. Had to bath him and he was cold so ended up sleeping in my room all night. He was so good, didnt get wake up till 5am.

My second question is, is it true that Chis are really hard to toilet train? I want to teach him to go outside and have been taking him out lots, nearly every hour. He has done a couple of poos and wees outside, but also a few inside, and unfortunately he has done them when I have had my back turned for one second so I havent been lucky enough to catch him in the act, tell him no, and then put him out.
Any tips or advice on this?

Is there anything else I should know about chis? Health problems etc? How many times a day should a puppy be peeing and pooping?
He has a vet check up this Wednesday so should I ask my vet anything in particular?
How do Chis go at puppy preschool?

Sorry for so many questions. This is all very new to me...my first dog that is actually 'mine' and that IM bringing up, not mum/dad.

Thank you all so much :D

P.s Here is a picture of my gorgeous Bear x View attachment 7627

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all so much for your replies.

I will definitely give raw food a go, that is scary stuff about the pet food that is MEANT to be good quality :-|
Should I wean Bear onto raw food? Or will he be ok just to swap straight over from the food he is having now (about 30 small pieces of kibble mixed with a tsp of wet food, 3 times a day)?

I am loving the idea of the ticking clock, I will give it a try tonight :) Although I am starting to enjoy his snuggly company at night lol My partner has just left for 4 and a half months for the army, and I am so lonely, little Bear has been the best company <3

Sounds like the potty training is something I am just going to have to be persistant and watchful with. He went by himself on the puppy pad in the laundry last night, i was so proud, but upset that i missed it so i couldnt praise him for it straight after.

I have enrolled in puppy preschool and we start tomorrow night, so excited! Hopefully he enjoys it.

AussieLass, one of your Chis in your signature looks exactly like Bear!
gosh they are just gorgeous aren't they :D

Thank u all for the warm welcome xoxo

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.