Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 16 year old Chi died several months ago and last week I finally purchased an 8 week old Chi (so now he is 9 weeks). I am trying my best to potty train but want to make sure I am doing things right.

Currently it seems like he cant hold his bladder for more that 1-2 hours. I take him outside to the same spot everytime and when he goes I give him a very tiny treat that he loooooves. If he has accidents I do not hit/spank him or anything of the sort but rather clap my hands and say "NO" very sternly and then proceed to take him outside. I have been trying to get him on a feeding schedule of same times everyday but it is quite difficult. He is a very passive eater as opposed to eating all at once. I might need to change his food since he seems to not be too interested in it. Funny thing, he is MUCH more interested in the adult dog food we keep out for the yorkies.

The problem I am having is that about 3/4 days a week I have to work 9 hours a day. This really poses a problem for potty training. I am trying to get him crate trained but the only time he is in his crate is when I am not home. I cant lock him in his crate because there is no way he can hold is stuff that long and will def need to go to bathroom. I did purchase one of those fake patches of grass and was trying to rig it up to where he can get out of his crate but only into a small area of grass. Is this a good idea? Any suggestions on housing him during "I am gone" times that wont hender/back track his potty training? Can he go without food for 9 hours?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
12,272 Posts
No you can't leave a puppy of 9 weeks for 9 hours without food, he could get low blood sugar levels and you will have a very ill or dead puppy,he should be getting 3-4 meals a day,puppies his age need to go out every hour for a pee etc.What food are you feeding that he doesn't like ?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh man, good to know! The breeder had him already on dry dog food, Eukanuba. On my way home I stopped at Petsmart to buy a bag and there was a guy in the dog food isle doing a promotional thing for Bil-Jac and basically convinced/forced me to buy his food. Its expensive, healthy, and made with real chicken. I thought that he would chow down on it hard core but I was wrong. He doesnt just "not" eat, but rather finickly picks at it for a couple min and then he is done.

So, yesterday I said to hell with Bill-Jac and I pulled out the baggy of Eukanuba the breeder had given me. He seemed a bit more willing to eat that over the Bil-Jac food but still nothing like what I have seen other puppies do to food in front of them....

I will note that he still has been pooping about 2x a day even though he seems to not eat all that much. Also, I took him to the vet first day I got him and they did a fecal, nothing bad was found.

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
He needs to go out every hour. You are right, he cannot hold his bladder at that age. Also, he needs to eat every few hours. Why don't you get a play pen and put his food, water, pad, and a bed/blanket in with him while you are gone. That's what I did and it worked well.

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free

·
Registered
363 Posts
He needs to go out every hour. You are right, he cannot hold his bladder at that age. Also, he needs to eat every few hours. Why don't you get a play pen and put his food, water, pad, and a bed/blanket in with him while you are gone. That's what I did and it worked well.

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free
I got a play pen as well and put a puppy pad on one corner, food and bed on the other. Luna (almost 11 weeks old) has learned from what time I have spent with her teaching her to go to the pad, that when I'm not there, she has to go to the pad in the play pen too. That'll probably be your best bet.

·
Premium Member
5,887 Posts
I have a baby's Pack and Play playpen for Leo too, it's the perfect size for water, bed, and potty pad. I had to get a potty pad holder too bc Leo started tearing his potty pads to shreds, lol.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I have a baby's Pack and Play playpen for Leo too, it's the perfect size for water, bed, and potty pad. I had to get a potty pad holder too bc Leo started tearing his potty pads to shreds, lol.
OMG me too! Zeus never did that, but Luna (I swear she thinks she is a cat) uses it like a scratching post!! They are so different!

How is work going for you today? ;)

·
Premium Member
5,887 Posts
OMG me too! Zeus never did that, but Luna (I swear she thinks she is a cat) uses it like a scratching post!! They are so different!

How is work going for you today? ;)
I know! I've never had a potty pad chewer before, like he's mad we r not home! Lol. Work is ok, today is my longer day (10.5hrs) so I just gotta get it over with...how ru?? I can't wait for u to get ur little hoodie! ;)

·
Registered
363 Posts
My 16 year old Chi died several months ago and last week I finally purchased an 8 week old Chi (so now he is 9 weeks). I am trying my best to potty train but want to make sure I am doing things right.

Currently it seems like he cant hold his bladder for more that 1-2 hours. I take him outside to the same spot everytime and when he goes I give him a very tiny treat that he loooooves. If he has accidents I do not hit/spank him or anything of the sort but rather clap my hands and say "NO" very sternly and then proceed to take him outside. I have been trying to get him on a feeding schedule of same times everyday but it is quite difficult. He is a very passive eater as opposed to eating all at once. I might need to change his food since he seems to not be too interested in it. Funny thing, he is MUCH more interested in the adult dog food we keep out for the yorkies.

The problem I am having is that about 3/4 days a week I have to work 9 hours a day. This really poses a problem for potty training. I am trying to get him crate trained but the only time he is in his crate is when I am not home. I cant lock him in his crate because there is no way he can hold is stuff that long and will def need to go to bathroom. I did purchase one of those fake patches of grass and was trying to rig it up to where he can get out of his crate but only into a small area of grass. Is this a good idea? Any suggestions on housing him during "I am gone" times that wont hender/back track his potty training? Can he go without food for 9 hours?

Thanks!

By the way your new baby is cute! What did you name him?

I know! I've never had a potty pad chewer before, like he's mad we r not home! Lol. Work is ok, today is my longer day (10.5hrs) so I just gotta get it over with...how ru?? I can't wait for u to get ur little hoodie! ;)
Working working. LOL I'm good, ready for the weekend! :) I am so excited about the hoodie! I'm sure Zeus will sniff it like crazy too if it smells like your chis! :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
12,272 Posts
Oh man, good to know! The breeder had him already on dry dog food, Eukanuba. On my way home I stopped at Petsmart to buy a bag and there was a guy in the dog food isle doing a promotional thing for Bil-Jac and basically convinced/forced me to buy his food. Its expensive, healthy, and made with real chicken. I thought that he would chow down on it hard core but I was wrong. He doesnt just "not" eat, but rather finickly picks at it for a couple min and then he is done.

So, yesterday I said to hell with Bill-Jac and I pulled out the baggy of Eukanuba the breeder had given me. He seemed a bit more willing to eat that over the Bil-Jac food but still nothing like what I have seen other puppies do to food in front of them....

I will note that he still has been pooping about 2x a day even though he seems to not eat all that much. Also, I took him to the vet first day I got him and they did a fecal, nothing bad was found.

Thanks!
Eukanuba is not the best food,sorry i'm in England so i don't know about the other food you mentioned,a 5* food is Ziwi Peak,it's raw but freeze dried

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
Mylo will rip up the pad sometimes if I leave one in his crate but only now and then. I put one in there if I'm gone for more than a couple of hours but he never uses it. I usually take him to pee when I wake up during the night but if I don't wake up he'll wake me up around 7 to go and he's been doing that since 8 weeks. He must be an odd one!

·
Premium Member
5,887 Posts
Mylo will rip up the pad sometimes if I leave one in his crate but only now and then. I put one in there if I'm gone for more than a couple of hours but he never uses it. I usually take him to pee when I wake up during the night but if I don't wake up he'll wake me up around 7 to go and he's been doing that since 8 weeks. He must be an odd one!
Ummmm odd? How about super well trained and behaved!! Ur so lucky!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts