Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I will be flying from TX back home to CT. We do not have a direct flight, one plane change. We are bringing back with us a 3 month old Chihuahua (my brother’s dog had a litter and he is giving us one). I do have a reservation for her and she will be flying in the cabin with us. I am anxious that she will cry and upset other passengers. I will be with her in TX for five days so I was planning on taking her each day in her carrier in the car to get used to the transporting. Do you have any tips that will make this as easy on her as possible?

Thank you for your help!

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Sorry, wish I could help but I never flew with a dog before. From what I have heard, the dog usually is very quiet and goes to sleep. I hope that is the case with yours. I think taking it out and getting it used to the carrier is a great idea.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
I have flown many, many times with one or more of my dogs. Here's what I would advise, anyway :)

You will need to bring with you:
::soft sided carrier
::absorbent pads for bottom of carrier
::2 puppy blankets...one for a snuggle inside crate/one to put over top of crate to help keep him warm.
::small bowl or cup of sorts to offer puppy a limited amount of water from.
::NUTRICAL (you will want to rub a dab of this on his gums/tongue every hour or so even if he doesn't seem to want it. You can also offer him pieces of his kibble (he might be too stressed to eat at first).
::medium water bottle with tight closing lid (a Nalgene would be good). If it feels really cold at your feet, you should ask the flight attendant to fill it w/ 2/3 hot water, 1/3 cold water. Wrap the blanket around it so puppy has his own little heater to snuggle up against! Make sure it feels very warm but not TOO hot.
::puppy's collar and tag attached to it.
::eek:ne or two chewie sticks and a chew bone and a toy.

Going through Security...
::Go to Security. You will put puppy's carrier through the x-ray machine but NOT PUPPY. I REPEAT, DO NOT PUT PUPPY THROUGH X-RAY machine (I have seen people try to do this), you will CARRY him in your arms through the metal detector. Perfect opportunity for a snuggle. =) They may or may not ask for puppy's health certificate but they have never asked me for one when I travel with Oakley, so, they probably won't.
::After you go through security put puppy back in his carrier. Go to your gate. At the gate, you will need to let the agent know you are traveling with a dog. ANY TIME PUPPY IS OUT OF HIS CRATE HE MUST HAVE HIS COLLAR ON because they are fast and can run off! He MUST be in his crate at all times on the plane and in the airport but you can peek in and check on him or reach in and pat him.

This is the carrier I recommend for transporting a chi puppy on a plane: Amazon.com: Bergan Comfort Carrier Soft-Sided Pet Carrier, Large, Black: Kitchen & Dining

--expect puppy will make a "mess" in his crate on the trip. Young puppies just can't hold it for that long. If he poos, clean it up with a tissue and put it in the toilet/flush it. Pee you can't really do anything about which is why you need the absorbent crate pad. =)
--Puppy will likely need a bath when you get back, but before you give puppy a bath, give puppy snuggles, food, and a nap if he wants one. Baths can be stressful for the little guys. A little nutrical before his first few baths isn't a bad idea. He won't need baths very often.

The puppy may cry but fortunately airplanes are very loud. My puppies have never cried their first time on an airplane, instead they are more obnoxious when they are older and more comfortable in the world!!! No one will be able to hear the puppy anyway once you take off, so don't worry too much about it.

·
Registered
322 Posts
GREAT advice above....never flown with a dog before but it is good to know all this...in the UK you can't have a dog in the cabin with you (not that i'm aware of?)....no way would I put my little Lola in the hold of an aircraft so we don't fly!

·
Registered
384 Posts
I have flown many, many times with one or more of my dogs. Here's what I would advise, anyway :)

You will need to bring with you:
::soft sided carrier
::absorbent pads for bottom of carrier
::2 puppy blankets...one for a snuggle inside crate/one to put over top of crate to help keep him warm.
::small bowl or cup of sorts to offer puppy a limited amount of water from.
::NUTRICAL (you will want to rub a dab of this on his gums/tongue every hour or so even if he doesn't seem to want it. You can also offer him pieces of his kibble (he might be too stressed to eat at first).
::medium water bottle with tight closing lid (a Nalgene would be good). If it feels really cold at your feet, you should ask the flight attendant to fill it w/ 2/3 hot water, 1/3 cold water. Wrap the blanket around it so puppy has his own little heater to snuggle up against! Make sure it feels very warm but not TOO hot.
::puppy's collar and tag attached to it.
::eek:ne or two chewie sticks and a chew bone and a toy.

Going through Security...
::Go to Security. You will put puppy's carrier through the x-ray machine but NOT PUPPY. I REPEAT, DO NOT PUT PUPPY THROUGH X-RAY machine (I have seen people try to do this), you will CARRY him in your arms through the metal detector. Perfect opportunity for a snuggle. =) They may or may not ask for puppy's health certificate but they have never asked me for one when I travel with Oakley, so, they probably won't.
::After you go through security put puppy back in his carrier. Go to your gate. At the gate, you will need to let the agent know you are traveling with a dog. ANY TIME PUPPY IS OUT OF HIS CRATE HE MUST HAVE HIS COLLAR ON because they are fast and can run off! He MUST be in his crate at all times on the plane and in the airport but you can peek in and check on him or reach in and pat him.

This is the carrier I recommend for transporting a chi puppy on a plane: Amazon.com: Bergan Comfort Carrier Soft-Sided Pet Carrier, Large, Black: Kitchen & Dining

--expect puppy will make a "mess" in his crate on the trip. Young puppies just can't hold it for that long. If he poos, clean it up with a tissue and put it in the toilet/flush it. Pee you can't really do anything about which is why you need the absorbent crate pad. =)
--Puppy will likely need a bath when you get back, but before you give puppy a bath, give puppy snuggles, food, and a nap if he wants one. Baths can be stressful for the little guys. A little nutrical before his first few baths isn't a bad idea. He won't need baths very often.

The puppy may cry but fortunately airplanes are very loud. My puppies have never cried their first time on an airplane, instead they are more obnoxious when they are older and more comfortable in the world!!! No one will be able to hear the puppy anyway once you take off, so don't worry too much about it.

awesome advice! now i know what ill need if i go flying with randy. thanks. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I am overwhelmed at such amazing advice! You have put me at ease!

I have a 2 year old Chi and never flown with her so bringing this puppy back was really throwing me a curve ball. I was worried about her being so small and remember that at that size blood sugar could be an issue...so I was really fretting. I never knew about Nutrical and am so thiankful that you shared that with me. It is at the top of my shopping list!!!

Flippedstars - I read so many articles online, spoke to my vet and none of the info holds a candle to what you posted. EVERYTHING you shared, I will be doing. My sincere thanks!

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
hi really enjoyed the education on flying witha small puppy i have no answers im just learning excellant question

1 - 8 of 8 Posts