Chihuahua People Forum banner

first time flying..

1K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  flippedstars 
#1 ·
alright, so it's Leni's first time flying this summer, and we have a long journey. going from Vancouver, BC to Greece.. she is confirmed to be in cabin with me.. and i know i need health certificates etc etc.. (which unfortunately, i can't even finish doing until 10 days within travel) BUT.. the only thing stressing me out now is how she'll deal on the plane?

she loves her carrier bag.. if i leave it open at home she goes and lies down in there thinking we're going for a ride! she's quiet while in the bag.. but it'll be her first time on a plane, and i'm worried she'll start squealing from her ears popping or something and i'll become one of those hated airplane travellers... someone ease my mind?

(also, the first flight is 8hours long, second is 2hours, and last is 45 minutes.. i know it's a long journey for her, but we have a few hours to stretch our feet in between flights.. and i'll somehow sneak a bit of healthy treats on for her and hope they arent taken away)

#2 ·
I haven't ever flown with my pups, but personally I would try to think of all the possible bad things that MIGHT go wrong, and make sure you're covered...
Thirsty pup? Have a little travel water
Hungry pup? Snacks she likes, possibly a bully or some sort to keep her occupied for a lengthy time.
Gotta potty? Make sure you have a little non-scented bag for poo should she have to go so you and others don't have to smell it!
Cold in the cabin? Blankets, a sweater perhaps?
Scared Snappy girl? I know a lot of people object, but a mesh muzzle would definitely do the trick. Even if she hasn't bit before, if you're worried about other people (children in particular) it might make them more comfortable to see there is no way she can bite even if she's showing aggression...
Just a few thoughts. Hopefully someone here has real life experience. :)
Also, about worrying about the other people on the flight feeling resentment for you, that would be the last of my worries! If it's between leaving my pup at home with someone, having her fly in the CARGO (most common!!!) or having her right by my side acting like a mad dog, I'll take the mad dog any day! At least I know she's safe and what her conditions are like..! :)
Good luck! Greece sounds amazing... I'm so jealous! ;)

#3 ·
yeah.. you're right.. who cares what others think? it's not like it's completely silent on an airplane anyway.. plus on the busses she's usually quiet looking at people, so i'm sure she'll be okay... im just also wondering, if i was to getup and go to the washroom, would i be allowed to bring her with me if she's in her bag? because i'm worried she might wimper while im gone for the 5 minutes...

#5 ·
I used to be a flight attendant. You shouldn't have any problems getting treats on, so no worries there.

Bring a travel bowl for her water. You won't want to give her a lot of water, but you will want to offer her some every 3 or so hours. Again, not a lot, but a few sips.

Feed her 4 hours before the flight and not again until you arrive at your destination. A few treats are OK, but you want to avoid her having to poo on the airplane.

Bring a few potty pads. If worst comes to worst, you can put the potty pad out on the floor in the lavatory and put Lexie on it and give her a few minutes to potty. Obviously don't...you know...er, make it known you're doing this...but it's one way to avoid extreme discomfort for your pup which I think is important =0)

Look up and talk to airlines regarding requirements for entering Greece for dogs. Make sure it will all be allowed and there will be no quarantines. Check and double check. Most people, vets, travel agents, etc. Aren't quuuuite sure what the rules are and someone might give you trouble along the way if you didn't get it right.

BRING LONG LASTING CHEWIES...don't just give them to her, but if you can tell she's getting antsy, that's when to whip 'em out.

Bring Nutrical. Since you probably can't bring a whole tube of it, squeeze a good bit into a plastic bag. Put the bag in your pocket before going thru security/customs. No one will know you have it.

Planes can be VERY chilly. Especially down at your feet in the cabin if you are seated in a window seat. For this reason, I would recommend bringing a large empty nalgene bottle and a piece of fleece that will wrap around it with you. If you feel it's getting chilly for your baby, go ask the flight attendant to fill it up 2/3 of the way with boiling water, 1/3 w/ room temperature water. Wrap the bottle in the fleece and put it in with your baby to snuggle.

Right before you get to the airport, it's OK to give your baby a bit of benedryll, dosage 1 mg per lb. This will help make her a bit sleepy. If you're really worried, you can ask the vet for a tranquilizer but personally I'd just go with the benedryll. You also can buy calming treats for her, all natural treats that will make the whole travel experience less stressful for her.

When you finally land at your destination, resist the urge to give her a giant bowl of food and only feed about 1/2 of what you normally give her. In another 4-6 hours its OK to offer her a full meal, but you don't want to overwhelm her tummy which will be on empty at that moment.

Good luck, and safe travels.

Oh...one more thing...dog's ears don't pop like ours do. She'll be OK =)

#6 ·
On giving her water....a friend of mine traveled with her cat on a long flight, and rather than give her water, she just offered ice. Not as potentially messy, (spills and such) had a little more entertainment value and was good portion control, cube by cube.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.