Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I took Parker on his first real walk today and oh my was it horrible. I've put a harness on him a couple of times before. He's never liked it but didn't throw much of a fit. Well today when the harness went on he screamed for like ten mintues straight. Got the leash attached and again screamed forever. I figured once the other dogs started walking he would just kinda follow along with them....but NO! He kept stopping and anytime I would give the leash the least bit of a tug he would scream bloody murder. Wasn't gonna give up, figured he would eventually realize it wasn't hurting him. But finally after having walked around this little trail with him screaming pretty much the whole time I finally just picked him up and carried him for the rest of the walk. Anyone else ever had a similar experience? I am really bummed about this. The girls love their walks and I can't imagine not being able to bring Parker along. :(

·
Registered
407 Posts
When I first got Sparkles she had never been on a leash. It took me 6 tries. She would just plant her bumb on the ground and not move. There was no screaming though. Once I started to bring treats on the 7th time and my neighbor and her pom walked with us for a bit Sparkles has been heeling and walking on her leash ever since. Dont despair. Your baby will catch on.

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
Yep, I had the same problem! When I got Lion he would stand and stare at me while I walked. I even dropped the leash and kept walking to try and get him to follow, but he refused. I was convinced he would never walk, but now he loves walks! Just keep trying :)

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The not walking part I kinda figured would happen, but it's the screaming bloody murder part that has me upset. It sounds like he is being killed!! People were looking at me like I was hurting him. I just now tried a different harness on him and got the same response from him. He was screaming and foaming at the mouth he was so upset.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Try putting on the harness OUTSIDE, and with a treat lure him a few feet. Slowly, slowly. He gets the treat when he is not screaming. He is letting you know the only way he can, that he is in distress. Frightened, mad, whatever. Just keep working him and before you know it, he'll come running for the harness. Good luck Sue

·
Registered
149 Posts
My little girl hated walking when we first got her. She would pull backwards so we finally got her a harness so she wouldn't hurt her neck with her collar. Treats only got her to move a few feet, but she was so terrified of the world that I would have had to treat her for each step she took. We figured out that she walked happily as long as she was walking home, so we started out carrying her to the half-way point of our walk, and letting her down to walk back. She also loves playing in grass so we made a grassy place at our apartment complex the half-way "reward". Now she knows that when we walk, she's going to go play in her favorite grass, and she walks all the way on her own!

Maybe try a collar instead of the harness. A harness feels more strange for a touch-sensitive puppy than a collar, so maybe that will help. Then let him follow you around in the house with it on for a few seconds, and work up to longer periods as he gets use to it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts