Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been trying to get my 9 week old chi Freddie to walk on the lead a little bit for the last couple of days. I carry him over to the park nearby, then put him down and encourage him to walk alongside me, using treats. So far he will only walk a few feet or so, following behind me, with a lot of encouragement. He doesn't really seem to like it, and he gets cold very easily (its about 10 degrees celsius here atm). I take my bag with me with a hot water bottle in it, so I can put him in there when he starts to shiver too much. Generally when i put him on the ground, he starts whining and asking to go back in it after a few minutes.

Just wondering if its normal for chis to not really like walking at first? At what age do they usually start walking confidently? And is there a warm jacket or something i could get for him? I think all the clothes I've seen are for adult chihuahuas..

I'm really keen to get him walking properly as soon as possible, to burn off some of his energy! But i'm worried, with winter coming, that he's just going to be less and less up for it :/

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
Stay at it. Put him on the ground and don't pick him up, at the min he wines and you pick him up so he will continue to do so unless you leave him for a bit. Put him down and take a step back bend down with a treat and try make him walk. Keep at it he will eventually get the hang of it.

Welcome to the world of fussy chi's !! As most chi's hate the curtain weather conditions. Ninja hates rain and snow. You can buy coats on amazon or local pet shops just get xxs.

Also has your chi had all its injections yet ? As you have one at 8 weeks then another at 12 then the puppy can go out a week or so after that injection. He seems a little young to be taken to the park as he is not supposed to be around other dogs at that time he also shouldn't be out on the ground.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Yup as sammy says don't pick him when he whines! As he's only wrapping you around his pinky and getting his own way. Pups can be cheeky like that :D

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok will keep at it and try to ignore the whines! I'm just worried he'll get sick if he gets too cold..

He's only had one injection, but from what i've read/been told, most people seem to say its worth the risk, as its important to get him used to everything before he's 12 weeks old. I'm not letting him come into direct contact with other dogs, (i pick him up if any approach), but i am walking him in a public park :/ If I had a garden i would just do it there, but i live in a small apartment. Its a very nice park, which is closed at night, there's no stray dogs in there..

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
Keep up with your work, and you will see progress. Puppies can be stubborn ;)

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
Yea i read those to and at the time ninja was pooping and seeing everywhere i was tempted but after a quick google on things that she could catch i didnt take her out. Carrying your chi wile out would be ok as long as your chi doesn't go nose to nose with another dog. That way your chi can get used to her surroundings and smell new smells etc.

Its up to you but its not worth the risk as foxes still run through locked parks along with cats. But congrats on your new puppy woukd love to see some pics :D

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
Mine both walked very quickly and loved it but Willow would not walk once it got cold. She seems to feel the cold very easily, Mylo doesn't seem to notice. She would whine the entire time she was on the floor when it was cold. Once she got used to it and realised she loved walks she just got on with it. I never take them out in cold weather without a jumper or something. Elaina on here has fantastic clothes at great prices and all kinds of sizes. She's also great at helping you find the right size.

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
Ok will keep at it and try to ignore the whines! I'm just worried he'll get sick if he gets too cold..

He's only had one injection, but from what i've read/been told, most people seem to say its worth the risk, as its important to get him used to everything before he's 12 weeks old. I'm not letting him come into direct contact with other dogs, (i pick him up if any approach), but i am walking him in a public park :/ If I had a garden i would just do it there, but i live in a small apartment. Its a very nice park, which is closed at night, there's no stray dogs in there..
I would not risk it, they can catch things like parvo from remnants of excrement which is likely to be around in a park. I took mine on walks with me holding them so they could meet people, hear the sound of traffic etc, took them on the bus but I wouldn't risk public. Maybe if you had a friend with a garden?

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
my puppies walked on the leash perfectly since the beginning.
I started training them inside, by first getting them used to having a harness on, once that was done, I got them used to having a leash attached, after that I started walking them inside with a lot of praise, you could use treats if it's easier to get his attention.
once they had all the injections, they were pros at waking on a leash and they were ready for going out.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
733 Posts

He can wear a jumper if it's cold. But that's what fur is for! But if it is noticably cold then jumpers or coats are available.

Also the shivering can often be confused for nervousness ;)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Zailey was carried around all the time from when we had her at 8weeks z& when she could finally go out at 12 weeks was properly scared. We just keep going every day at least twice a day & she gets use to it but we have found that she walks better if we take her in the car further away frOm home rather than just Waling her round the block.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts