Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started taking 3 fish oil caps a day a few wks ago because of all the benefits i've read about. But I realized they were causing me stomache upset. I have stopped taking them :(
Is there anything similar that you guys know of that may give the same benefits without the tummy troubles?

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
LOL funny you should mention this. Someone told me that giving fish oil can help a puppy's ears stand. So I started giving it to Asia (my older dogs all get it and handle it fine)...ABSOLUTELY upset her poor little tummy tum tum. So she is off that now and her ears seem to be up anyway. But it doesn't surprise me that its upsetting your tummy too, then. TBH I think the only equivalent you can do is eat a can of sardines or something, and ewwww, who wants to do that?

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
What about coconut oil?

·
Registered
5,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
eww not me!!! Crap, the possible benefits were amazing I was totally psyched about taking them. But not working for me. I may try them again and see if i get the same result and make sure it wasn't some weird fluke. My tummy is funny sometimes. :rolleyes:
Leila has a salmon oil everyday and i just bought some more glucosamine chondroitin yesterday...triple strength. She's getting that 1x day and i'm going to start taking them too for my "crunchy" knees and because i bought 2 gynormo bottles (better deal) ;) She's doing fantastic, never holds her leg up anymore.
I thought of Oakley yesterday when leila and i went out, our temps are abnormally low and wind chills are in the negs. and when leila and i went out to potty she took a few steps with front paws only. Guess that snow was too darn cold for her. ;) LOL

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
My mom gets an upset stomach too. Her doctor recommended that she put her fish oil in the freezer. I'm assuming it worked for her since I haven't heard her complain about it.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I will read up on that. ;) Does it come in pill form?
I don't think so. You can cook with it! I was reading that some people put it on salads or even melt some and take it straight out of the spoon. It has a very mild flavor.

There's tons of info out there on the benefits of coconut oil.

Maybe you were taking too much fish oil? Maybe you could just take one a day instead of three and still get some of the benefit? I think a 'typical' dose is 1000mg a day.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
eww not me!!! Crap, the possible benefits were amazing I was totally psyched about taking them. But not working for me. I may try them again and see if i get the same result and make sure it wasn't some weird fluke. My tummy is funny sometimes. :rolleyes:
Leila has a salmon oil everyday and i just bought some more glucosamine chondroitin yesterday...triple strength. She's getting that 1x day and i'm going to start taking them too for my "crunchy" knees and because i bought 2 gynormo bottles (better deal) ;) She's doing fantastic, never holds her leg up anymore.
I thought of Oakley yesterday when leila and i went out, our temps are abnormally low and wind chills are in the negs. and when leila and i went out to potty she took a few steps with front paws only. Guess that snow was too darn cold for her. ;) LOL
LMAO the handstand!! WOOO! Yeah, it is mad cold here too...the dogs don't wanna go out at ALL.

·
Registered
5,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I put her coat on her this morning when we went out,(i don't always since she's so quick pottying) she just stood there awkward for the longest then she peed and wanted back in. Normally she does both so i thought it odd. We came in and i fed them and then she went by the door and sat :rolleyes: which means "i need to go out" and so i had to go BACK out again!!! Translation: she didn't want to poop with her coat on! :laughing8: goof ball!!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I started taking 3 fish oil caps a day a few wks ago because of all the benefits i've read about. But I realized they were causing me stomache upset. I have stopped taking them :(
Is there anything similar that you guys know of that may give the same benefits without the tummy troubles?
I recommend to Canola oil,protects from hear disease, high cholesterol, cancer and high blood pressure.It's one of the fastest growing edible oil in the world.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Apple cider vinegar works wonders!! My hubby has been taking Zantac every night before bed because of bad indigestion. I asked him to stop taking the Zantac and mix 1 tablespoon ACV with an 8 oz glass of cold water instead. He has yet to have a heartburn attack and hasn't took a Zantac in about a month.
TBH, 3 fishoil pills sounds like a lot to me, especially just starting out! Why don't you try just taking 1 for a while to see how that does & if you're not getting an upset tummy, maybe increase to 2 after a few months. You're body probably needs time to adjust to something new.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Maybe just a different brand? My father-in-law takes Mega Red krill oil. Or try taking it at bedtime. That often works for meds that make people sick.

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
The best source of Omega 3's are Flaxseeds (outside of oily cold-water fish :/)

One tablespoon is enough daily. It has to be ground up first.
You can buy it already ground, but it's better to grind it yourself.
You can use a coffee grinder.

I put it on Oatmeal, salads, in smoothies, even in oatmeal cookies.

Walnuts are another good source. You can start the day with oats, walnuts and a tablespoon of flax seed and you are set.

Omega 6 fatty acids are found in a variety of food, not so much with Omega 3, which is why people supplement with Fish Oil.

I take Fishoil twice a day and have for years. How much were you taking ?
You might to work up to it by taking a small dose every day or two.

·
Registered
946 Posts
I take a product called Omega Brite. You order online. I have been taking it for years with no tummy troubles (and I have severe acid reflux/GERD). I have several of my clients taking it with wonderful results too...take a look:)

·
Registered
580 Posts
Also try to take it with food. On an empty stomach it could make your tummy upset.

So funny I see this thread now as I just started to take Omega 3-6-9 again today.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts