Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
I've gotten & fed smelts I had gotten from my brother. I personally would keep it frozen for a couple months to kill any parasites that may be in there as some fish do contain them. Cooking kills them when we eat fresh fish...but freezing them for a good length of time does as well. I have a couple bass in my freezer my daughter & brother caught a year & a half ago...just haven't gotten around to feeding it. haha

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Catfish are ok but in moderation but be sure to cut off any sharp fins of the fish before feeding. I've also read & it's a good idea that on bigger fish to cut open to make sure it has not swallowed any hooks...would not be cool for the dogs to eat! :tard: But I did read to avoid feeding too much carp, smelt, herring, and catfish, since these fish contain an enzyme that binds Thiamin, or Vitamin B1. But once in a while they'd be great. :)

Got that info here: Practical Answers to Practical Questions About Raw

And a small article on parasites as well: Parasites In Raw Fish | Dogs Naturally Magazine

They say to freeze for 3 weeks but I'm a worry wart & freeze fish for as long as I can possible hold off. LOL I use 2 months as a minimum. Saying that...my dogs are NOT crazy about fish. So we never did feed it often. Canned salmon or sardines (no salt added--in just water) they loved though so we did feed that on occasion.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Oh & the smelts I fed whole. They're tiny so it wasn't an issue. I never have fed a bigger fish so I can't say if we fed it whole or fillet. I'd probably just toss it to them honestly though. LOL

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.