Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone, Molly my 7 month old Chi Chi has extremely dry skin. Does anyone know the cause of this and what can be done to clear it up?

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
I've been reading a lot about dry skin..Depending on the severity of Molly's a few options could be:

oils-(fish, coconut, vit e, etc.)-but make sure you research the dosages

Miya gets 500mg of fish oil every day.

I bought this coconut oil and apply it to Miya's fur every couple days. It can also be eaten by pets or humans and is very good for you. It's CocoTherapy Pet Organic Virgin Coconut Oil.

Too much coconut oil can cause upset tummy though...

I also read that many people here give their dog NUPRA. I haven't tried this yet, but I plan to. You may want to see if anyone of the veterans on this site can tell you about it..I also searched "dry skin" in the Chi-People search box and found a lot of helpful info.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have heard of alot of people that add 1 tbsp of cooking oil to the pets food. I don't know if I would try it. I will look for the Nupra. But my chances of finding it around here are very slim. Thanks for your advice.

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
I got EPI products this for Amberleah works really good. she feels so soft and smells really good I got Shampoo and treatment and ear cleaner. Another chi person on here told me about it. Here is link
where it say vendor

Vendor

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Welcome!

I'd wonder first about food. Grains, specifically.

I might also ask if your baby is bathed often and with what she is bathed. Do you give any oils or other supplements?

I will also ask when we get to see a picture of her!!

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
i have the same problem :( probably not as bad but tillie has a bit of dry skin on her belly and back , i may try some of the suggests on here and then report back :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I usually bath her once a month. Molly diet consist strictly of Healthy naturals by Iams. I do give her some banana every couple of days. She will almost do a back flip for bananas. She does not get alot of treats. We use them as rewards. Especially when she poops outside. Had trouble getting her to do number 2 outside. It is winter here and nights can be very cold...

·
Banned
37 Posts
dry skin is mostly caused by food allergies. putting canola oil or vegetable oil on kibble DOESNT DO ANYTHING or dry skin and itching. what are you feeding your dog? he could be allergic to something in his food and also if you bathe your dog more than once a month you could be drying out his skin. you shouldnt use additives to your dogs kibble UNLESS your vet gives the okay to do so. if he bites at his butt area and his feet area it is most likely a food allergy. try changing brands or go to a raw diet made by Natures Variety it clears up skin problems and dogs with tear stains and its pretty cheap.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
dry skin is mostly caused by food allergies. putting canola oil or vegetable oil on kibble DOESNT DO ANYTHING or dry skin and itching. what are you feeding your dog? he could be allergic to something in his food and also if you bathe your dog more than once a month you could be drying out his skin. you shouldnt use additives to your dogs kibble UNLESS your vet gives the okay to do so. if he bites at his butt area and his feet area it is most likely a food allergy. try changing brands or go to a raw diet made by Natures Variety it clears up skin problems and dogs with tear stains and its pretty cheap.
Not to start an argument but this may not be the case for all dogs. Biting a certain areas may not mean one thing..bathing once a month is ok for some, oil on the food is reccommended by many vets.. Food, supplements, bathing, allergies..all depends on the dog. This site has been very helpful with an abundance of information, but to say one thing is absolute is not ideal in my opinion. I would talk to your vet and other vets as well to see what the general consensus is.

Again, I am not trying to argue with anyone, we all want the very best for our little guys and gals. I come here when I'm at a loss for things and also check with professionals. Doing that through both, we can get a good idea as to what is best for our pups.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
I agree. If I waited for my Vet to approve what I gave my girls, one of them might not be here today.
I am the one who researched and solved her food issues (with the help of a few VERY knowledgeable people here). He looks bewildered and shrugs when I talk about what I give them. He had never heard of Ziwipeak nor Nupro. Only our holistic Vet agreed with the Sardine and Anchovy Oil. Of course, she also put Hope on Chinese herbs and now all girls are on enzymes and probiotics.

·
Premium Member
5,275 Posts
on the advice I recieved from a post I recently made (CLICK HERE)

I bought Kody some Salmon oil and have added to Chico & Kody meals... the dandruff is gone!!! and the fur nice and shiny

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
If I had a dollar for every time I heard that! haha!

People who know us in person or come to our home always say that if they could come back for another life they would chose to come back as one of our dogs!

We feel an obligation to give them the very best care. We believe that if we cannot we do not deserve to have them.

Eden started shaking her head and DH noticed that she was scratching her ears so we used the ear rinse and drops we had from when Ruby had an ear infection and I called to make her an appointment for tomorrow.

We lost our boy, ****, at age 13 from congestive heart failure. Unknowingly, we fed him IAMS because we believed we were feeding him a quality food. Sadly, we know better now about health and nutrition. We vowed to keep these girls as healthy as possible.

Just how it works at our house!

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
hey you and I are alike! I feel the exact same for little Miya. Poor DH, doesn't know what he's gotten himself into introducing me to the love of chihuahuas. I think we are getting a big dog once we're settled in Japan. He's always wanted a labrador so I imagine we'll get one of those..soon though, another chi. Miya is my world and I love spoiling her.

·
Banned
37 Posts
i have talked to my vet and many vets and all have said canola oil and vegetable oil dont do anything for dry skin. you need FISH oil. i also read about it online at the vetnostics web page. you dont have to bash on me for trying to HELP someone solve their dry skin issues. they were just tips to help the person out. i have been in the pet store industry for over 6 years and am going to vet tech school this coming fall semester. if you are feeding a great quality food their really is no need for added vitamins but i will agree on pre and pro biotics as an additive as i give them to myself as well and know how amazing they are. I give my chi Nupra as well because of her sensitive stomach and tear stains and it really helps.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts