Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you who give garlic or garlic powder to combat fleas, how much do you give? I don't do well being told just use a little or sprinkle some on her food. Scares me that I will use too much. I need to know--1/4 tsp? 1/8 tsp? less/more? Help please.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
I thought Garlic was bad for dogs???
My understanding is that the study that started all this "garlic is bad" showed that garlic causes anemia in dogs when given in very large quantities. In small amounts many people think it is much better for preventing fleas and other parasites than nasty chemicals. (as in better for the dog- the jury is still out about what works better!) They even sell commercial flea control products that are essentially just garlic powder.

Luckily we don't have bugs like that here- so I don't have to worry about any of that myself :)

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
I am actually not sure on the recommended dosage. I think there are multiple ways to use it; and not necessarily just fed it; or sprinkled etc. I'll stay tuned to this too though, as I'd like to know too.

Just as a recommendation too, Neem Oil makes a really great repellent if you're looking for natural ways to repel pests. The biggest downside though is it's very smelly, potent, and makes skin greasy for a while (but no more than any Frontline type product, I guess.) It's kind of a "garlic vinegrette" smell... if that makes sense.

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just as a recommendation too, Neem Oil makes a really great repellent if you're looking for natural ways to repel pests.
Thanks. Where do you find that? Health food store? I put a sprinkle of garlic powder on her food this morning--probably too much as I tend to over do things that's why I asked--and she wouldn't eat her ZP which hasn't happened since I got it. :(

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
This is what I used to use:
Amazon.com: Synergy Richard's Organics Pet Wellness/Pet Healing Neem Oil, 4 Ounce: Pet Supplies

But there are other neem products. I would just mix up a batch with some water (since it's an oil it doesn't really dissolve but I was able to get it to 'spray' from a bottle if diluted well! You just only want to mix up as much as you use.

ETA: I realize the most recent review there is not a good one. That said I've not heard of this before; but know that animals can have adverse effects to anything, I don't think it's a common side effect! O_O

·
Registered
801 Posts
Tina - I believe in using garlic for dogs for fleas and other health benefits.
I give my dogs Nupro daily and it contains garlic ( see link below ), therefore
I don't add garlic to their food anymore on a reg basis. I do make their crunchy
scrambled eggs about every other week or so and I will sprinkle garlic in those,
kind of like you would salt your food.

NUPRO - All Natural Dog Supplement

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.