Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:hello1:What kind of flea protection do you guys use?

I just hate to put that poison stuff on Firgy.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
I also use Advantage :) I never have any fleas in our home, I also use it on my 4 cats too!!

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
I don't use anything. I'm very leery of flea products as they are poison and would only use them as a last resort. Just my personal feeling on the matter. In the warm weather I keep a close check on them, do a daily comb for fleas etc. They have not had any on them. I always regularly wash their bedding and vacuum daily.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
I use apple cider vinegar in their water and am thinking of getting lavender oil to spray! Apparently raw fed dogs are less likely to get fleas idk why but I've only ever seen one flea and that was after lotus ran through some grass taller than her when I first got her never seen anything on daisy either!!

This time of year I def won't bother

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
I used to use Advantix but wanted a better, safer alternative to flea/tick protection without giving my furbabies a dose of poison every month. We live in an area with a lot of fleas and ticks, and we have woods right against our backyard...it doesn't get more challenging than that!

I switched to using oils, garlic, and apple cider vinegar for flea and tick protection and I couldn't be happier. I use one drop of cedarwood oil and rose geranium oil on the collar every other week. Cedarwood oil repels fleas and rose geranium oil repels ticks. Lavender oil also repels fleas which I use around the house sometimes. (Essential oils are toxic to cats so do not consider using them in a household containing felines present.) In addition to the oils, I also supplement garlic and apple cider vinegar. Garlic repels fleas and mosquitoes. ACV repels fleas and intestinal parasites, plus it also provides a whole host of other health benefits. ACV is a staple in this house.

Our dogs are outside and go into the woods often and they have never had a flea or tick since I started using the oils, garlic and ACV.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I use a tablet that has garlic and brewers yeast. The cat and dog both just eat it like a treat. I only resort to Advantage if I see more than one flea.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oh, either you are a neat freak or I'm nasty. I don't have that many sheets. :)

I'll have to try and do better.

I make beaded jewelry and I don't have time to do anything.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Cookie never had fleas, when she got them when Peanut got them from the wooded area by my boyfriend's house. We tried Hartz, and Biospot, and neither worked. The vet gave us Vectra, which is the BEST out there, although it is a bit expensive. It repels 7 different types of bugs, including fleas, ticks, and mosquitos. Ask your vet for it, it's amazing.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I use Adavtage too but it makes Peebo sleepy I am looking for some thing that wont give him this reaction. Seems everyone is using the same thing I also put ACV in his water I have been using it for years and he doesnt mind the taste I didnt know it kept fleas away any truth to this?

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Where I used to live we had a HUGE flea problem. Where I live now, we don't, so I've not had to use any flea product at all. I'm really happy about that, I never liked the idea of the chemicals on and in my dogs (even though I know they're necessary for some.)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts