Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I have a question:
Poppy has been scratching like CRAZY all night and this morning I searched her all over, to find tiny, brown, moving specks in her fur.EEEWWW!
I took her to our vet and he washed her thoroughly in a white powder dissolved in water, but he said it would only kill the things on her and not the eggs. He said that she is too young yet to use a stronger medicine on her and that I will have to wait (she is 10 weeks old) But the poor baby is still scratching away...is it really not ok to use a flea repellent on a baby? I cant stand to see her suffering like this, it is driving us both mad!
We live in Beijing in China as we work for the foreign office, so my communication with the vet is not 100% as i dont speak Chinese!
Any help would be appreciated!
If it is allowed to use something like Frontline on a 10 week old puppy, I will ask my Mom to send me some!
Thanks!

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
I am not sure about that go do a search on the internet and look up front line see what there website says.....

Also you can give her a oatmeal bath (too soothe her skin) or just plain soap kills fleas...nothing fancy needed. She just may have irritated skin from them but make sure she is not scratching enough to cause a secondary infection- Make sure it does not get raw. Poor baby so young to have to deal with that! :cry:

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Kemo's Mamma, I did look up Frontline but it wasnt clear what the age limit is for such a young puppy. But the wash the vet did has really helped and this morning after her first good nights sleep, she was whizzing around and chewing everything in sight...and not scratching! I am so relieved! No one ever told me that raising a baby Chi is more stressful than raising a human baby! :lol:

·
Registered
70 Posts
Mini with a serious itch!

My lil Dezi is only 1 month old and she's scratching like crazy! I tried to pick every flea I see but those lil boogars are a pain to get too. I also noticed a red sore spots where she's been scracthing a lot...poor thing, she cries while she scratches. I am going to get a flea comb for this but I want to know what else will help her? Is she too lil to take a mini bath? If not, what do I need in order to do this for her? Or will this be something better left for vets to handle? Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Poppy got a special bath at the vet and now she has had frontline too and the fleas have disappeared.The vet said she had t be 3 months old before she got that treatment but he also said that Chi's scratch alot and that their skin can be very dry. I know some people on here have been told to put certain oils in the food but I am not sure which. I think because your pup is so young, all you can do is remove the fleas with a fine toothed comb and wait till she gets a little bigger...por littel baby i hope this helps! :)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Thanks, it breaks my heart to see her this way. Sometimes it would get too much she couldn't sleep. So I'd put her in my arm til she falls asleep. Sounds a little extreme but it helps her sleep.

Camilla King said:
Poppy got a special bath at the vet and now she has had frontline too and the fleas have disappeared.The vet said she had t be 3 months old before she got that treatment but he also said that Chi's scratch alot and that their skin can be very dry. I know some people on here have been told to put certain oils in the food but I am not sure which. I think because your pup is so young, all you can do is remove the fleas with a fine toothed comb and wait till she gets a little bigger...por littel baby i hope this helps! :)

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know what you are going thru because Poppy was the same...she even cried while sh scratched and I was almost in tears too! Ask your vet how you can help her, and the best thing I can suggest is to go for those critters every day and remove them. Perhaps there is something you can use on the pup ut ask the vet,,,good luck!

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
hi dennis and welcome

you definately can bath dezi - what a cutie by the way.

camila

you need to get a spray for his bed and any soft furnishings you have ie: carpets, sofas and most inportantly hewr bed area as fleas can lay the eggs in them and she will just keep getting reinfected

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Claire I did get a spray and sprayed all the areas that she has been...fingers crossed they havent reappeared!

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
My vet told me pups had to at least 12 weeks old and weigh at least 2 lbs. to use the frontline.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions ozzysmom. I got a flea comb last night. I was able to get 7 big fleas from her. :shock: They were all gathered around that red sore spot she had behind her right ear. I will bathe her tonite. What is a good shampoo for her? I'll also wash her bed padding and her mini blanket. Can I wash those with regular detergent? Thanks.

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
yes you can wash them with regular detergent - a puppy shampoo will kill all the fleas - but make sure you get a spray for his bedding to kill the eggs :wave:

·
Registered
70 Posts
Got it, thanks again. :)

ozzysmom said:
yes you can wash them with regular detergent - a puppy shampoo will kill all the fleas - but make sure you get a spray for his bedding to kill the eggs :wave:

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
Also read that you can get a shallow pan of soapy water and at night stick a light next to it on the floor and in the morning if fleas have gone in there then your house has too many and you will have to do as Ozzy's mom said and treat the house. More than likely you have to treat the house as eggs hatch I think it 3 week cycles. One flea is too many--I lived that nightmare with my cats!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts