Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i live in a sandy area we have sand fleas....gypsy is 3 months 2 weeks and 5 days old lol so is it ok to use sergents skip-flea & tick shampoo? it says not under 3 months. i did find little dog drops but she isnt 4lbs yet so thats out.
i heard vinegar in her water, but idk if she would drink it

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
I haven't heard of "sand" fleas; are they different from regular fleas? I would avoid most over the counter flea "top spot" drops as fleas have developed a tolerance to the main ingredient over the years; and some of the brands such as Hartz have been known to cause seizures.
Assuming a sand flea responds the same way to any other; Frontline or Advantage are some of the most widely used preventatives.

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
I looked up sand fleas and dogs. Its not a common problem with dogs, do have a problem where you live? They usually prey on fish. But if your area has a problem with sand fleas and dogs, here's some info on them. It looks like alcohol kills the fleas.
Sand Fleas & Dogs | eHow.com

·
Registered
145 Posts
I am a groomer. I would NEVER use flea shampoo on one of MY dogs. It dries out their skin and makes them itch worse than the fleas. You can cover her in dawn dishsoap and wrap in towel for about 15 min and then rinse, that should kill the fleas then shampoo with an oatmeal shampoo.
I do have to use frontline once in a while as I live in Texas and do have fleas sometimes. For a tiny dog I would use about 2 tenths of a cc on the back of her neck.
I can treat about 15 poodles with one LARGE tube of frontline. I never use the amount on the package, too broad a range in pounds.
Frontline's patent is up so there is now a generic Frontline at Walmart call "Pet Armour" , its not really much cheaper , but more available.

If you have just a couple of fleas, just bathe and pick them off. If you have a continual problem, I suggest Frontline. Advantage makes me ill for several hours if I use it. It goes into their nervous system. Frontline goes into their fatty tissue right under the skin.
hope this helps,
pam in TX

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok wait

so they might not really be called sand fleas, maybe its just a jersey word to describe em i do live in a fishing community, but i probably am wrong on the name....she has like 3 fleas on her that i have seen. she is about a lb if that, so thats why i was wondering . everything i have seen including those above are all for dogs that weigh more so she is in puppy limbo

·
Registered
311 Posts
I know Dawn did an amazing job on rescue kitty ~ she had hundreds when we saved her took almost four hours with 2 us of picking them off of her, but she was little and not cared for and it was gentle and left her skin nice afterwards.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts