Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, just joined this forum and I need your help already. Ok my chi (Junior) has got all his shots except the rabies shot. But for the past month I have been seeing a lot of Fleas on him, well they are black 4 legged creatures that look like tiny ants. They are fleas right :?: Anyways when I bathe him I use 2 shampoos, one to take fleas off and one normal puppy shampoo. They stay off for few hours then they come back. Is there a way I can get rid of these creatures from his body? Does your Chi have them too. Whom ever reads this please replie if you know one or two things about this. Thanks and hope to hear some good stuff from ya'll.

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
you are supposed to deflea your dogs every so often - you can go to the vets and they willo gove you a speacial ointment to put on the back of their neck and this will keep them away :wave:

·
Registered
6,393 Posts
Its no use just de flea-ing your chi, you have to do your whole living area too thats why your chi is getting re infested.For every flea there are hundreds of eggs which then hatch.Your best bet is to get a good house hold flea spray and spray everywhere underneith chairs, sofas, cupboards, everywhere, and close the doors to confine it and go out for the day or a few hours at least to give it chance to work without suffocating you and the chi as well as treating your chi again

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
Here is a link someone posted a while ago.
http://www.bugsaway.com/trapspowders.html

If you do a search of the site you will come up with more information.

Fleas are not easy to get rid of once your house becomes infested. You have to keep up with it or they will keep comming back.
Get your pup on Advantage or something like that right away. You have to get this from a vet, the cheap stuff you buy in stores like Walmart do NOT work.

·
Registered
810 Posts
First of all, PLEASE do NOT use Bio-spot drops for fleas. I did this w/my other dog that I used to have and it was fatal. I was trying to save money and not get the Revolution. Now my little chi is on Revolution and has no fleas ever. Also, we tried all the store products and just had to get our house professionally sprayed and it was so worth it! When I would think I sprayed the whole house myself and I even put Borax on my carpets and I would think they were gone, the next day I would see them again!! I loved the professionals spraying, because they spray up and down (like curtains and closets as well) Once the spraying was complete my dog was on Revolution and my vet said if any fleas were missed in my house not to worry as they would jump on her and they would just die!! Also, we had to throw away all of her bedding, cuz she always slept there and I was sure of eggs being there (which you can't see) Oh one more thing, if you do get your house sprayed, ask them to spray your yard too. :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well thanks for your help everybody. I also just spoke to the Vet and they said I need to put him on Advantage and its about $68, thats not a problem if the thing does his damn job and gets the fleas off. I will also change is his bedding when I get the Advantage and try to get the house sprayed. Any estimates on getting your whole house sprayed? Again thanks to everyone for ur posts.

·
Registered
810 Posts
OMG, that is right, it was Advantage that Lola is on, not Revolution. Believe me, it really works. To have my whole house sprayed it was $100.00, they lifted bed mattresses and sprayed everything, I mean everything! I tried over the counter stuff and had no luck, but some people do, and I only had the one dog. We have wild rabbits all over out in the yards here and I am thinking that is where she picked them up. You really need to do something immediately, cuz they really multiply and it takes a couple of weeks to get rid of them. After spraying, I remember I had to constantly vacuum and throw out the bags, OH YEA, and when they sprayed my house, they also sprayed the inside of my vacuum cleaner and mops, brooms too. Good luck, I really feel for ya!! It don't matter how pretty and clean a home can be, these critters will live anywhere!! :(

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
Hartz is also known as being a killerof animals flea product too STAY AWAY. Frontline is also good for fleas. That advantage sounds expensive you can most likely get it much cheaper thru catalogs or even your local pet store. :wave:
Good luck I have been thru that with my cat and he never went outside it was the two dogs that lived upstairs. Fleas are nasty nasty buggers :evil:

·
Registered
810 Posts
$68 is exactly what I paid for my Advantage, but that is for a 6 month supply. Ya know something I just remembered, when I put this stuff on my dog, I like to get her wore out first and then let her potty and then put it on and hopefully she will take a nap, cuz I noticed when I first put it on, she struggles to lick it and I worry, cuz it is poisonious. (yea, I can't spell, and don't use spell check, as if you guys haven't noticed that yet, he,he!!!) After a couple of hours, she seems to forget that she even has it on, even though it is still kinda wet there.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well yes the $68 is for a 6month supply. Any how I was wondering do any of you on this forum live in Beverly Hills, West L.A or anywhere close to me?? As you people know by now this is my FIRST PET AND I DON'T DOUBT A SECOND OF IT. :lol: But I do appreciate everybodys help on this, and On Tuesday I will get the ADVANTAGE and start using it. While we are on this, can any body let me know few stuff about neautring???? My chi is going to be 13months on 11-10-04 and I need help on this matter too. Get back to me people, lots of love to all you. Matt

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
Well neutering done sooner is better- so dont hesitate any longer. It will help with marking and make the dog more family focused (rather than trying to fullfill his manly instincts). I dont know why he was not done sooner (what the circumstances) but I definately recommend it. My dog was done at 11 mos as the 1st previous home was going to stud him the 2nd home just tried to get rid of him for the first home *sigh*. He does not mark my house any longer :D

PS~ Frontline is cheaper (6mos) supply if advantage doesnt work and you want to try another :wave:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well again thanks for the replies, Should I go with Advantage or Frontline, and please keep in mind that price does not matter right now, I would rather have my baby Flea clear then have those little F***KS on him, sorru for the language.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts