Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My sister was playing with PP today and noticed a flea on her belly. I just gave them flea baths about a week ago and brushed them with a flee comb I didn't see any in the tub and none came out when brushing!

Could it be a stray flea? They both have been itchy lately and I thought it was dry skin or something. Was going to wait another week and give them an oatmeal bath.

Whats the best way to treat fleas? There's also 3 cats in the house. 2 of them are outdoor cat's. Could they have gotten them from them?

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
Yes, they most definitely could have gotten the fleas from an outdoor cat. I would start using a flea treatment (not a flea bath) like a topical or some other type of treatment. I use Comfortis only in the summer for my chis.. It is a pill. I tried to only use a natural topical but it didn't work at all for us.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ill check into that. I'm sick of seeing them itch and want to get to the bottom of it. I think a proper flea treatment will be good and I am going to try the oatmeal bath too. I might try and change there food to something more of a higher quality then they are on now and see if that makes a difference.

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
IMO a higher quality food will help. I saw it posted on this forum that a healthy diet makes for a healthy dog and fleas don't seem to be as attracted to dogs on a high quality diet. I live in Alabama which is flea heaven. My dogs go outside almost everyday and eat ZP and Acana. I have not put topical flea control on my dogs since May and they have not had one flea (of course, I'll write this, and we will have an infestation. Haha). BTW, we have an outside cat.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was actually thinking of switching them to Acana :) I'm going to check over my finances and see if I can order them some.

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
I would give them both baths in dawn dish soap or flea shampoo to kill any possible fleas. Then apply a topical such as Advantage or Advantix to each of them. I use 1/2 a dose on Toby. That should prevent further fleas. If the cats are going inside and out, they need to be checked and put on preventative too. If not, you are going to be infested with fleas before you know it.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll talk to the cats owner and see if they will or plan on doing something with them.

I'm setting up an appointment with a groomer to have them professionally flea bathed this time need to wait another week but think it will be worth it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.