Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you and/or your vet reccommend for getting rid of/preventing fleas? My current chi is my first dog so I don't have much experience with fleas, but she seems to have brought some home from my mother-in-laws house.

I just picked up a box of Frontline for under 22 lbs (I read somewhere that Frontline plus was too strong for dogs under 11 lbs so I stayed away from that). Was it a good investment or do you reccomend something else?

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
My vet recommended Advantage so that is what I use. I really don't know a lot about the differences in various brands, but my chi responds well to the Advantage, so I will continue to use it unless my vet suggests something else.

The instructions recommend using it about every 30 days, but since Jasmine is outside very little and does not have much contact with other animals, I just check her over carefully about once a week and unless I spot fleas or she is scratching, I don't use it, She had fleas when I got her from the breeder but since I treated for those, I've only had to use it one other time and she is 8 mo. old.

Good luck - Lynn

·
Registered
518 Posts
I've used both frontline and advantage. Advantage was not effective for me and it was expensive. With frontline I've never seen a flea. Just be sure you do what you said.. no frontline plus.. just plain frontline.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I've used Frontline, Advantage and Revolution. Frontline kills more than Advantage. Rovolution also kills heartworms. I am presently using Revolution.

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
i'm a frontline plus with heartguard advocate.... although i like interceptor too, both are equal to me as far as the heart protection.... revolution only advertises one type of tick (for some reason it does kill others but they can't say it does cause they only studied it on the one type, so i was told...)

for chiwi's first frontline plus application the vet said to only use half, this 2nd dose we will use half again then just use the whole thing.... this month i hope she eats her heartguard, the lil picky girl.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
I am curious lady is expecting and i found a flea on sturgis. the males are on sentenal. I cant give lady anything how do i prevent these fleas from getting to her or new litter. i cant let her out at night either the vet said so mosquitos dont get her

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
janiebabes said:
I am curious lady is expecting and i found a flea on sturgis. the males are on sentenal. I cant give lady anything how do i prevent these fleas from getting to her or new litter. i cant let her out at night either the vet said so mosquitos dont get her
if i remember correctly sentenal is ok to use on pregnant and nursing bitches.

i have a list at work that tells ages, what they kill ect.. i'll post this info later!

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
From a post I've replied to before:

Hi there, flea meds for pregnant dogs is a big issue that has come up over the last couple years. Up until recently the United States there are NO flea preventatives that have been properly studied in terms of their negative effect on fetuses or puppies.

You will be pleased to know that Frontline Plus, Advantage, and Program have all been tested in Europe and do not cause problems in pregnant mothers or their puppies.

Frontline Top-spot, Proban, and Pro-spot have not been tested and should not be used on Pregnant mothers or puppies under 10 weeks.

As far as the flea spray, I'm not sure because most of the OTC animal drugs are not FDA approved.

-Nate
______

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
ilovesadie said:
From a post I've replied to before:

Hi there, flea meds for pregnant dogs is a big issue that has come up over the last couple years. Up until recently the United States there are NO flea preventatives that have been properly studied in terms of their negative effect on fetuses or puppies.

You will be pleased to know that Frontline Plus, Advantage, and Program have all been tested in Europe and do not cause problems in pregnant mothers or their puppies.

Frontline Top-spot, Proban, and Pro-spot have not been tested and should not be used on Pregnant mothers or puppies under 10 weeks.

As far as the flea spray, I'm not sure because most of the OTC animal drugs are not FDA approved.
-Nate
______

thank you so much but then again viox bextra and i forgot the third drug were fda approved for humans and they are now ripped off the shelf. i think i'll wait till after she has the litter i dont want to put a topical or spray on her because she will be licking herself. well I know daytona and sturgis cant spread the fleas they are protected and it sterilizes the eggs so no multiplying i'll just have to keep an eye on her and keep checking to see if i see anything if i have to pluck them off one by one i will. so far no signs

1 - 10 of 10 Posts