Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to having a Puppy, have dealt with Kitten fleas and the cat is now two never had them since, little biscuit has been treated with frontline but I found a flea (live) in my boyfriends hair (short cropped) and he found two in my hair (long to my bottom length) and Iv rang the vets they said just shower and wash hair, we have treated the house with Bob Martin spray and I have treated the cat again (even though they cant transfere) but wondering if you have had similar experiences and how you dealth with it, got rid of them etc...

I hoover every day each room and mop all hard surfaces, I have sprayed the curtains, sofa and all other upholstry including the bed. I have put all clothes and things the puppy has been in contact with for the wash and have antibacterial wiped everything else.

the puppy is placid and happy but knows something is wrong so we dont want to stress him or the cat out!

Sorry to warble - talk about paraniod - help

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Did you find any on the puppy?! Do you have kids? I just wonder if they are headlice?? We've had them a couple of times from the kids at school but never fleas

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I thought you aren't supposed to use Frontline if you have cats?

Other than that, I'd wash the puppy and clean the house.

*It didn't register that they were in YOUR hair. Are you sure it wasn't head lice?*

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
what do you mean "treated the cat even tho they can't transfer"? Are you seeing fleas? If they're so bad you have them in your hair i would think they would be getting on your feet or ankles.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all your replies.

I have no kids but two nieces who I mind on a saturday 7am-2pm

I have found none on Biscuit but have still bathed him and treated the house with Bob Martin flea spray and all the fabrics etc..

You can use frontline on cats and dogs, cat has spot-on and he is done every six weeks even though he is a house cat, and dog had what the vets gave me in puppy pack but will be using spot-on or front-line.

I have washed the house top to bottom every nook and crany - been at it all day, but have since done more research online, they say they cant transfere from cat to dog and live or humans, but the research is a bit contradicting.

I have spoken to my mum and as me and both my partner have been around children (our friends and familes kids) it may be headlice - especially as my feet and ankles are not itching, my head only itches when I think about it, and since washing it again today its not that bad, but going to get some treatment tomorrow just to be safe.

I just feel dirty and a uncomfortable :-(

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
My heads started itching hahaha I hate headline kids are rank!!! Get down the pharmacy and cover both of you and your hairbrushes boil your pillow cases and repeat in 7 days!! If u check the base of your neck you're likely to find them there and behind the ears

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
I'm a bit confused. Fleas CAN go from cat to dog. Cats can bring them in the house & start an infestation that will effect all animals in the house. I do wonder though if it is head lice. If so - I don't envy you!! My girls have had it 2-3 times and all times we've caught it in very early stages. Have your boyfriend check the bottom of your hair & if it is lice you'll be able to see nits (eggs) about 1/4" from the scalp on your hair. I've read some say these can be transferred to dogs/cats & some say no. I don't know what the answer is. But I'd recommend the Nuvo treatment for head lice using Cetaphil Cleanser. Here is the process...if this is in fact what it is. Also, you don't have to wash all your bedding/blankets/pillows (though pillows I would) but you can put them in your dryer on high heat for 30 minutes & that also kills the lice.

http://www.nuvoforheadlice.com/method_explained.htm

If it is in fact fleas you have it's a different process. You can bomb your house if they are really bad or simply vaccuum all surfaces daily & change all the bedding/blankets/etc. Along with what you're already doing with the frontline & such. But yet...dogs & cats can give each other fleas.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the replies again

Iv not itched as much since I washed my hair with Vosene but am going to treat myself anyway to headlice shampoo, I have already treated dog and cat (who is a house cat) and they dog is only a puppy has not been out yet.

I have done the pillows from last night and the night before and thanks will keep doing for a few weeks. This is all new to me as I have no kids.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
You will need to have your boyfriend or someone else look through ALL of your hair & get out all the nits otherwise you'll end up with a reinfestation. They lay several groups of "eggs" (nits) every day so what was already in your hair more than likely have already laid eggs. A few lice come from every nit so as long as it will take & as annoying it is it's super important someone go through your hair and your boyfriends & make sure all the eggs are gone. The nits are not killed by the shampoo.

You can pick up on the Nuvo treatment (or other treatment) and wash again I believe it takes 7-10 days for them to hatch so you'll want to do it that length of time after you treated yourself the first time. They sometimes can be hard little buggers to get rid of unless you're SUPER thorough. Even if you are thorough I've heard of some horror stories of having a hard time getting rid of them.

I'd also inform the parents of the children you watch because chances are...that's where it came from & they'll also need to be treated. I wish you luck....!!

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
You need to use a knit comb and a heavy conditioner for the eggs combing and wiping the comb after every time you pull it through the hair it takes a long time

And yes retreat at 7 days again

Hahaha Heather it's obvious we have school age kids I hate nits!!!!!!

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have found the culprit its my boyfriends mates kids he stayed at his house over the weekend, i noticed them the morning when i was sat with him, I have got some Full Mark treatment, iv already told my brother and he has some nit shampoo already and is going to do his girls hair, but so far they have not found any, everybody i have had contact with since I saw my fella sunday iv told so they can make sure.

I feel like such a fool for thinking the puppy had fleas, poor little mite has been bathed and the house sprayed, feel more sorry for stressing him out than anything else

thanks every so much for all the replies

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Lol bless u it's an easy mistake if u don't have kids!! Full marks is great use that comb and repeat in 7 days and the buggers should be gone!! It's horrible no one likes it I end up in tears as we both have really long thick hair and takes ages to get them out

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
@ Daisydoo - My hair is thick and down to my bum i't not looking forward to it, my bloke is going to have to get it done and be gentle!

Thanks for your replies its been a great help and comfort

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Yep, it is an easy mistake to make. It sounds as though you've caught it early so that's good! At least you know you don't have icky fleas to deal with. :) I agree...do it again in 7 days & I'd even do it 7 days after that to be sure just in case.

It is very tempting to shave your head or your kids head. LOL Luckily neither hubby or I ever got them from the kids & yeah...the kids totally complained when I was going through their hair 3 times a day to make sure I got all the nits (I ripped every strand of hair out that had a nit so I didn't "loose" them! ROFL!!) so they were not happy campers. But both times we got rid of them w/o issue. :)

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
So does tea tree oil! We used to use I think Paul Mitchel teatree oil shampoo for a precautionary measure. Smells pretty good too though a bit strong in the beginning. :)

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
I second the tea tree oil shampoo! we use that and never wash the kids hair more than 2 times a week, and we have been lice free always.

It's a common misconception that lice like dirty hair.. actually, they love squeaky clean hair and prefer it over hair with some natural oils.
The minute I learned this I stopped washing my kids hair every day.. lol
Give your kids baths everyday.. just skip the hair!

it really works :)

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
My head has not stopped itching since i read this thread lol

We too only wash our hair twice a week (max) i dont suffer from greasy hair neither does Abi (its having a boufant on my head for sure!!) so i just leave it as long as possible.

I also always tie her hair up at school because those skanky ones tend to hug her and bag headlice and me crying for 2 weeks lol

·
Registered
323 Posts
for head lice, i would put tea oil in all your shampoos, or buy some that is already in it. washing your hair dont always matter. less or more.people i dont think people can get flea. and i do think cats and dogs can share fleas. I only use Skin So SOft by Avon. it works just put some in your hands rub them together and rub dog or cat back wards. its wonderful if you have new born pups or a just a few weeks old. people can bring fleas in from their homes to yours so you got to watch out for that too. also barkdust can track them. another thing to get rid of lice is to use mayo never tried it but heard it works. I try to use natural things on my self and animals. another thing that can work for fles is dawn dish soap. put it on the dog or cat while they are dry and rub it around let it set for a little awhile and thean make sure to get it all out with using warm water. I hope some of these things can help....good luck

1 - 20 of 20 Posts