Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
5,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
*Hope this is the right area for this question, but since it has to do with dogs i thought it was ;) )
I am wanting to rip out some carpet and put down some kind of flooring. This would be in a living room area.
I am wondering what some of you have, and what would be good to stand up to claws and potty accidents. I have a big boxer dog too so keep that in mind. Cost will be a concern also. :D

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
I have carpet in one living room, we only use that room at christmas time though.
In the other living room we have tiles because its connected to our kitchen & bar area so we just put the same flooring through out, but we have a rug down next to the sofas.
And we have wood flooring in the hallway.
I think that wood flooring & tiles are way easier to clean than carpets, esp when you have 5 dogs :lol: and youve just came back from a muddy/wet walk

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
We have old hard wood pine flooring. Granted, it's a mess & needs to be redone (we're planning a bit kitchen/living renovation which is why we haven't touched it yet LOL) but I'd never ever put carpeting down especially with the pups. When we had our big dog when he'd bouce around it would dig up the floor a bit but obviously the little dogs don't ruin it at all.

We'd looked into getting some of the click lock flooring but we've decided to try to save our pine & stain it like we did in the office. Hubby is a building material sales person (he's done all aspects of construction at some point or another) so he is very particular about what we put down. I think that was his thing with the click lock. LOL Anyway...I guess I don't have any advice other than suggesting a HARD hardwood flooring (birch, cherry, maple, oak, etc). I'm sure some of the prefinished flooring is made to with stand pets so that may be worth looking into as well. :)

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
Just last month we had our carpets taken out and replaced it with laminate wood floors all throughout the house, except for the bathrooms which are tiled.
I love real wood floors, but I went with laminates because I didn't want to be stressing over scratches or denting the wood. With 4 dogs and an active household it was the better choice for us. :)

·
Registered
10,596 Posts
My flat came all laminated, but every place i have had we got laminate anyway.
I find it the best for keeping clean.

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
When I renovate after the first of the year sometime, I'm going with all Laminate wood. Looks like wood, but you don’t have the stress and care of wood.

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
I have seen some people take up their carpet, and just have the concrete/slab finished or something. Not sure what it is, but it's pretty popular.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
I have hardwood flooring with several layers of polyurethane!! I would strongly recommend tile flooring for your situation. Lowes has tile on sale all the time for like .77 cents a square & tile is durable & comes in many different shades. Doesn't scratch like hardwood flooring. Also, if you don't stay on top of your chis nails, sometimes they'll slip & slide on hardwood & it scares them where they'll try to avoid it for a while.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
We put laminate in our kitchen and it's really nice. It stands up to everything. Very durable and easy to care for.

I hate vinyl! But we did put it in our bathroom and I LOVE it. It looks like tile unless you get right down next to it and is super easy to clean and care for.

We got this kind ....

Tarkett > Products > Product Details

They actually have a tile laminate that is gorgeous. Looks very much like ceramic tile, but is the durability and easy clean up of vinyl.

NAFCO® By Tarkett > Products > PermaStone

I was very prejudiced against vinyl until I saw the new stuff that is out and it's really nice.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Some of the laminates are nice looking & some are really cheesy IMO. LOL We looked into it & it's quite expensive but probably not as expensive as putting down real hardwood flooring (and a lot less work). It's going to be cheaper to refinish our wood floors - I'd rather put down the laminate -but since hubby can do all the work for free - we're taking the cheap way out. hehe

I DO NOT like the linolium stuff that looks like wood. Now that's cheesey. LOL But the laminate pieces are pretty nice & if you get the thicker stuff (some just has a teeny strip of "wood" that can easily be damaged) you won't have issues with doggy claw marks.

·
Registered
5,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have seen some people take up their carpet, and just have the concrete/slab finished or something. Not sure what it is, but it's pretty popular.
I remember a lady telling me about this a while back. Now I'd have to see it, but it's interesting. Not sure about a family room though, sounds more like a finished basement idea.

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
I know many very large expensive homes that are doing this these days. The living area is the main area they use it.

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
One example. I think they "score" it, then stain it. It is gorgeous!!

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
T - that is gorgeous!! I love it.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts