Chihuahua People Forum banner

floppy ears that were erect- help!!

1K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  Bijou 
#1 ·
My husband and I went away for a long weekend and left our babies (a Jack Russell and our chi) with a pet sitter who came a few times a day. Our friend also stayed with the dogs for a few hours each day but they slept alone at night. Now my chi's ears are floppy when they once were erect. The tips are also crusty....this has never been a problem before. What could have caused this- stress? Or a medical condition. He also seems a bit lethargic but not too much since he usually sleeps alot. Maybe I am hypersensitive?? I am worried...and feedback is appreciated. My poor liitle guy...

#3 ·
yeah not sure how to explain the "crustiness"

feels like little scales on the very tip of his ears...and on one ear when we got home I noticed it looked like a scab but came off when I cleaned it. Now where the scab was there is an even crustier scab...weird huh? He has never had this problem before. He only gets floppy ears when he is hot...and then what is freaking me out is that our pet sitter is a vet tech and could have unknowingly exposed him to something weird. Since he seems to have an impaired immune system and is suseptible to everything who knows? He is only only four pounds and the light of my life. I freak out so easily with him and we just took him for his annual exam so there was nothing major to be concerned about then. Anyone else have something similar happen. Could it been a result of stress??

#7 ·
Definatly take him to the vet. Especially since you said he has an "impared immune system"

My Koke got the crusty stuff on her ears the first time she got Demodex. It is actually caused by an "impared immune system".

Also, DO NOT pick at the scabs!!!!!

#10 ·
This just happened to my daughter's 3 month old Chi because of her boyfriend petting the way her boyfriend was petting the dog's ears and head :shock: . The dog had 'up' ears when they got it and they had been up for at least two weeks or more (I saw it) and the day after my daughter got it DOWN they went. I went to her house and saw her boyfriend smashing the dog's ears down as he was petting it and saw exactly what the problem was.

Boyfriend stopped petting the ears that way and the vet said to give the pup a Glucosamine and Chondroitin supplement to strengthen the cartiledge (sp?) in the ears. The supplement is what started making a difference.

Good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.