Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My husband and I just adopted an (about) 8 week old chihuahua. I've always owned very large dogs (50-80lbs) and I'm very new to the small dog world.

We got Chewy from someone who found 2 poor puppies left in a box in a parking lot, they took care of them and wanted to make sure they went to good homes. and I fell in love with him.. so I got to take him home! He's obviously a chihuahua.. there's no doubt but he *could* have something else in him. his sister looked like the taco bell dog though, and he's tri colored short hair with some long hair on his chest and floppy ears LOL.

I'm just curious about his ears because they are EXTREMELY floppy in that they aren't even remotely up.. like they stick to the side of his face lol (so cute though!) will they ever stand up? I really don't care if they do or they don't.. he's my little man anyway. but i've read that they sometimes end up standing up when he's older?

·
Registered
372 Posts
Most chis ears go up and down until after they loose their baby teeth. Then the ears should be erect. They will start teeting around 4 months or so. Post a pic when you can - I would love to see him. :)

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
those type of ears may not stand you would need to try to help stand or leave them either flop or might stand with time. some breeders tape the ears if they think they wont stand this might be the case on him but never the less adorable

·
Registered
10 Posts
We got Beau at 8 weeks too and his ears were very floppy with no sign that they might stand up. This week however (15 weeks) one of his ears has started to stand, now he has one down and one up 90% of the time! Our vet thinks the other ear will stand too, although I think he looks very cute now! Only time will tell what they end up looking like :)

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Ah cute post a pic how can people abandon puppies?? Daisy had really floppy ears I thought they wouldn't stand but they did they tip sometimes but she is teething. When they started to stand my mum held them down coz she thought it was cute

·
Registered
544 Posts
Awww, I'm so glad these babies were saved and one found you. Such a happy ending to a sad story. As for ears, we'll all be waiting with you to see what they do. It can depend on what he's mixed with and the history behind the parents. Generally, by 8 weeks, Chi ears may be flopped over but they aren't tight to the head. In other words, there's no crease in the ear leather. He may be a late bloomer though, especially considering we don't know his for sure age.

Please post a picture when you can. Not only will it help us guess about those ears......but we just love seeing new puppy pictures. :)

Welcome to the forum.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts