Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 17 week old Chihuahua still has floppy ears. They are adorable. I hope they stay like this. At what age will I know for sure they will stay? They rarely stand up and even then, the tops are floppy. Are there many chi's with floppy ears?

Also, what is the best age to have him nuetered?

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
All chis are born with floppy ears and the cartilidge eventually "hardens" and causes them to stand erect.

Some chis ears never stand up (like the little dork below) - Coopers did stand for a while, then they flopped back over. No biggie though - I think they're cute too! Around 6-9 months is when the ears will stand up for good, however, they will go up and down when they get vaccinations and whatnot.

Vets usually suggest 6 months of age as being the earliest time to neuter small breed dogs, assuming their health is doing good and .. umm... everything has dropped, if you know what I mean. :shock:

·
Registered
112 Posts
I never thought Poncho's ears would stand up because they are so large. It was around 6 1/2 months when his finally stayed up all the time. Now ... Sasha on the other hand ... her ears go up and down every other day! Her ears are usually floppy every morning, and standing up near the end of the day (laugh) .. and both just turned 8 months ! :lol:

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Chico's ears were floppy as a baby, and I had hoped they'd stay floppy too because he looks so cute like that. and guess what? he's over a year old and his ears are still floppy :D i guess it all depends on the chi.

·
Registered
34 Posts
My Grandpuppy is 9 months old. He has very large ears. They are often floppy in the AM, but are erect later in the day.

In Sofeesu's newest picture from the breeder, she was 7 weeks old, and they are already standing up! I don't imagine they will stay like that, however.

Up or down, they are adorable just the same!! :wink:

·
Registered
7,716 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks so much to those of you who replied. I guess Ill give it a couple more months before I "know" for sure. I love his ears down. I think he looks like a mini-lab. I love him regardless.
Everyone's Chi's are so cute. Thank you for sending the pictures.
Take care everyone!!!
Rachel & Bailey

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Lola's ears don't stand up. They stood up very briefly and have been down ever since.

If your Chi's hasn't stood up yet by 17-weeks they may end up staying floppy...I'd still give it another month or two, he may just be a late bloomer. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts