Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I am going to take Teddy with me to Memphis TN when my sister has her baby. And I have questions about flying with Teddy. This is what their website says:
"We accept small, domesticated dogs, cats and birds that will fit in an approved carrier under the seat. This would mean no larger than 10" high X 11" long X 21" wide for travel on our Boeing 717. The weight of the pet plus carrier cannot exceed 40 pounds or roughly 18 kilos.
Airfare for a pet is $65.00 one-way."

Can someone please define what an "approved carrier" is? Or is it just a carrier in those measurments? Any suggestions to help make the flight easier for him? He's a real lap boy I won't know how to comfort him if he's crying, I would want to pick him up, and I don't know if that is allowed.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
When I flew American last year, an approved carrier was a soft sided pet carrier, with a firm, sturdy floor and open netting along the sides for ventilation. The size usually does not vary much from airline to airline. I got my pet carrier at Petsmart, and it stated right on the tag "approved airline carrier".

However, a friend of mine told me recently that some of the airlines are now requiring hard sided carriers. I haven't tried to confirm this, but I would check directly with Airtran as to their reqjuirements.

You also need to make arrangements with the airline in advance to take your pet. They only allow a certain number of pets per flight, and if you don't have prior arrangements they may not be able to accomodate your pet. Always better to be on the safe side.

I'm not sure all airlines are the same, but most say you are not allowed to remove your pet from the carrier during flight. However, this depends on the airline and the flight attendants. I took my chi, Tia, out of her bag and let her sit in my lap when I flew last year, and had no problem. It depends on the personnel and how well behaved your pet is I think.

Good luck - as I said, my advice is to check directly with the airline you are flying on. If you can't get the info you need off the internet, call their 800 number.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts