Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am bringing my 16 week old baby home with me for the first time this weekend (been fostered in another state untiil I could get him). He will have to fly and I just wondered how Chis handled flying. I have requested the vet give him a sedative, but how do I deal with him using the potty? Should I just keep puppy pads in the carrier and change them when we switch flights? I don't want him sitting in his own urine, but of course I can't take him out either.
Any help, suggestions, or personal stories would be great!
Mel

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
I have read that sedatives are not recomended for flying since the effects of the drug might change at different atmospheric levels (heights) and potty depends on how long the flight is (do you really need to fly?) Also, if you're afraid he might pee himself how about puppy diapers...just for the trip...hope that helps! :wave:

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
How long is your flight?

I just flew up to Chicago from Maryland and back again to get my 10 week old puppy and she did fine. The flight was only 2 hours and she slept the whole way. I bought her a soft sided carrier and put a fake sheepskin in the bottom of it with a couple of small toys. She didn't go potty at all. I think because there was not enough room and the carrier was like a little bed.
If you have to change planes at some time can you find a spot at the airport where you can put a pad on the floor and give him the opportunity to go if he needs to? Of coarse you'll have to take a harness and leash with you to do this.

Has your puppy ever taken a ride in a car? If so did he get sick or anything?
I agree with Vala on the sedative. It really shouldn't be necessary unless you know your puppy is going to get sick.
Make sure you check what size carrier the airline allows for carry on.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thank you! Well, we live in Las Vegas and Pip is in Missouri, that is quite a long drive, appx two to three days. We are going home to visit friends and family as well.
I hadn't thought of diapers!! That is def a thought!
we have sedated cats before when my husband brought his cat from MO to CA, and it seemed to work okay. I feel comfortable letting the vet make that decision. I just don't want to stress Pip out or have him barking the whole flight (I sat next to a pup not long ago, and he barked the whole two hour flight, and I was trying to sleep, I don't want to put out anyone).

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
oh, missed yours!:)
He did just fine in the four hour ride he took from where my mom picked him up from the resue org, though he did pee and poop on my sis;)
But, that was some time ago, three months. My sis takes him in the car a lot and she hasn't informed me that he has any difficulty in cars.
Our first flight will be about two hours, the second leg two to three. So, I could take him to the ladies room I guess and see if he will go on the paper. I appreciate all this help!!!! I have had five Chis in my life, but all were much older, so the puppy thing is very new tome!

·
Registered
13 Posts
re: flying

:wave: Hi! Lulu and I are flying from DC to Michigan this week--I'm a little nervous too, she's gotten car sick the 2 times she's gone for rides...so I'm kinda worried. The airline and the vet both reccommend not sedating because it can throw off their balance. My vet suggested giving her a little bit of childrens benedryl though (I give it to her b/c she has allegies already). Any ideas on the car sickness though? I'm driving back with her and its a 12 hour car ride so I don't want her to be miserable.

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
We flew home with Auggie from Orlando to Puerto Rico He slept nearly the whole way without being sedated. that would worry me . He never barked once and most people on the plane didn't even realize I had a puppy with me. On the short flight from Puerto Rico to home he was just as good. We put a small soft toy in his carrier and his blankie. :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts