Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I need to make a plane ticket for this week. First of all I can not believe how much airlines charge to bring a dog on as my carry on baggage! But I was wondering how your chis have responded to being under the seat. Do they get very scared or does it hurt their ears or anything? I kind of have to fly with her so hopefully she'll be ok. Also has anyone ever been told their chi cannot fly with them? Apparently I have to put in a request because only so many dogs are allowed on a plane and there is a chance that Pixie wouldn't be allowed on. But I fly often and have never seen another dog on the flight so hopefully she will get on with no problem. I am just nervous about her first airplane trip I guess! Just let me know how your chis responded if you have flown with them. Thanks in advance!

·
Banned
5,733 Posts
iv never flown with my dogs to scary lol i hope it all works out for you though and you both have a great flight is it not possible for you to leave her with family or friends

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
I flew from Orlando, Florida to Dallas/Ft. Worth several times with my chi, Tia. I haven't taken Jazzy on a flight with me yet, but plan to within the next month or so.

I had no problems with Tia-in fact, she slept most of the trip. The only time she got a little upset and nervous was when we were waiting at baggage pickup for our luggage, and that was mainly due to some bratty kids nearby.

You aren't supposed to take them out of their carrier on board the plane, but that can depend a lot on airline personnel. Some are really nice, and will let you take them out as long as they sit quietly in your lap and some are not so nice and won't let you take them out. I usually asked for a seat that wasn't near the rest rooms, so there wouldn't be so much traffic.

If you are concerned about her getting too nervous and upset, you might want to check with your vet to see if there is something they can give to calm her down. I couldn't do this with Tia due to her heart condition and other health issues. If you haven't already, you might want to check with the airline to see if they will require a health certificate from your vet or her shot records. Some airlines do now, I think.

The only other suggestion I would make is to call the airline a day before departure and reconfirm they show your pet as listed. I guess I'm just paranoid, but I was told when I made my reservations last time, they will not let you board with your pet if it isn't in their records. I don't know if that's true or not, but I wasn't taking any chances.

Good luck with your trip.

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
before you even book your ticket make sure they know you will be bringing the dog as carry-on (and rember they are classed as your 1 carryon!)
and book it in such a way that its made veyr clear the dog wil acompany you.
then a few days before call and make sure the dogs booked, then the ay before call again to check.
if you can take the pup to the vets the day before and have him fill out a form that the dog is healthy and bring all the vacination records (even if your only flying 2 states over or something) its extra precautions, which you probably wont need but its best to be safe than sorry.
you can also ask your vet about something to calm the pup too...hell liekly give you a small pill which you can give if they start making a fuss...

ill give you this warning, if the dog is crying and screaming in the crate while waiting to board the plane (even if your booking is quarduple confirmed) they can refuse you access to the flight as the dog is considered a disturbance (yet theyll let screaming babies on *grumble*)

so far ive flown with dogs a few times through my life with them as carryon.
and so far not a problem. talk to your flight attendant as soon as you get on the plane let them know and meet the dog in the crate and see what they think/ask about their polocy this way you can get a quick judgment on whether you can get pup out after take off rather than dealing with them telling you to put her back in. rember flight attendants dont have it easy and its a stressfull job so be nice to them and recive like (hopefully) most dont have a proble so long as the dog is quiet and stays sat with you. however it MUST be crated during take off and landing.

im lucky if i ever have to fly with vixie, shes a service dog therefore they cannot refuse her acces to the flight no matter what! though so far ive not had to deal with it. (they still give me issues about how chis cannot be service dogs in this area *grumble*)
but how they act on long car rides...thats a good indication on how theyll act on a plane trip

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
Auggie has flown twice. When I picked him up from Florida as a baby and last year to North Carolina on vacation. He did fine both times on the plane and slept most of the time. I put a blankie around all 3 sides of his carrier except the side facing me. I made sure he didn't nap much that morning so he would be sleepy. His least favorite part is being in his carrier walking around the airport. And yes it is a giant rip what they charge. His carrier is smaller than most peoples carry-ons and he never made a peep. Most people didn't even know I had a dog. They rip us off cause they know how much we love our babies :x

·
Registered
718 Posts
I've taken Diego on a couple of plane trips and he did awesome! Before I got on the first flight I told the counter person I wasn't sure if he'd bark, and she said "who cares, babies always cry and that's way more annoying". I had to agree! :lol: The airlines really vary as far as prices go. I think Northwest charges something like $120 Canadian each way!! Not sure what you're paying for...no leg room?! It is definitely a good idea to make your reservation early because depending on the size of the plane, they do limit the number of pets they allow. I don't think it normally bothers their ears or anything. And the engine noise seems to lull them to sleep. Don't worry, it will most likely go off without a hitch and your pup will be fine! :) [/i]

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Pixie made it through her first plane ride! She was a perfect little angel. Never made a peep. Nobody would've even knew I had her except to go through security. The flight attendants didn't even know. I did sneak her out of her bag and let her lay on my lap since she was being so good. I just can't believe they charged me $80! You can take a screaming baby on a plane for free but I basically have to buy my puppy her own ticket and she has to go under the seat!

·
Registered
448 Posts
Ive flown with Tyson now 5 or 6 times from NYC to Western NY, and what i do is just wear a light jacket or a hoodie and then after the plane is in the air i just sneak him into my jacket/hoodie and he falls a sleep in there and then when were landing i just put him back into the carrier

1 - 9 of 9 Posts