Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an overnight work trip coming up next month and am considering taking the new puppy along. He will be 4 months old. He will fit easily into my schedule (Flying from Portland to SFO for an evening meeting - the next day driving to Sacramento to check-in on a construction site - then fly home from there). The extra airfare for him to ride along would be $150 (even though people infants are free :(). And already reserved a hotel that allow dogs.

The alternate would be to have our vet keep him for the night or a friend who absolutely loves dogs - but I kinda worry about leaving him with others with pets since he hasn't had all his puppy shots yet.

Which do you all think would be the least tramatic for him?

·
Registered
634 Posts
If he normally doesn't get stressed out over going places, I'd take him with me. I always trust myself more than other people. LOL I would just worry about him too much to leave him....unless you think the stress of traveling might make him sick.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I flew with Charlie when he was only 12wks and he did great. He pretty much just slept the whole time. If you think you'll want to fly with your pup in the future I think it would be a great experience...early socialization will help him respond well to new situations in the future. And at 4 months your puppy should have most if not all of his shots. Good luck! :D

·
Registered
251 Posts
I would leave him with sister, this is only for one night after all...we first flyed with Richie when he was about 7 months old and he was fine, so you can actually never guess. If you had to leave for longer then you wouldn't have any choice, but in this case i think this will be just less stress for him.

Richie's mom

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
I flew home with Auggie from the breeders when he was 12 weeks and he was fine. We also took him on vacation with us and he was fine. He usually sleeps most of the time For just one night I don't know. I definitely wasn't leaving Auggie for a week :roll:

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
They are charging you for your pet??????????? I thought most airlines only charge if they went cargo. I was told it woul be treated as a carry on luggage because they are so small!

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's what my travel agent was told when she called them.... and that was after we picked a different airline, because we started with SW and they said they do not take pets at all. On Alaska Air, it's $75 each way. I might look on their website and see it they mis-understood her and that's the "cargo" pet fee.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
I know SW doesnt take pets at all, Shame too i used them all the time.If i were you i would call airlines myself and ask if the policy for a carry on small pet of up to 5lbs has a fee or can it be used as a carry on.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
janiebabes said:
They are charging you for your pet??????????? I thought most airlines only charge if they went cargo. I was told it woul be treated as a carry on luggage because they are so small!
Nope - airlines do charge for pets. I took Tia, (my chi who went to the bridge last year) with me when I flew to Texas the first part of last year, and I paid an extra $50. each way for her. They must be in an airline approved carrier and you must make these arrangements in advance as they only allow so many pets on each flight. When I checked shortly after the first of the year, the fee for a pet had gone up to $65. each way, so it's probably even more now.

I really don't understand why they charge, as the carrier must fit under the seat in front of you, just like any other carry-on luggage, and the airline I flew on (which I think was Airtran), does not allow you to take them out of the carrier during the flight. This is discrimination against our furbabies!! :lol:

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
I agree! Looks like all our florida transitions are going to be driving, glad we got the Van for our expanding chi family lol. LOL if they didnt take xrays they could be smuggled on in a purse for sure hmm.. wonder if anyone has ever smuggeld a chi on in a bra? Hey, after what i hear about smuggling drugs and where they put it :shock: who knows anything is possable! from now on when ever i fly I am wearing a T-shirt in protest for fees of carry on pets! :twisted:

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
Oh they definitely charge Even though Auggies carryon is smaller than most peoples regular carryons American was 50.00 one way and usair was 75.00 one way. Plus they usually only allow 2 pets in general and 1 in 1st class and they won't let you make a reservation It's first come basis so we made sure we got there real early :shock:

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
chimom said:
This is discrimination against our furbabies!! :lol:
especially considering the number of flights I've been on with someone with 30lb "infant" in their lap kicking my seat for 4 hours! A puppy would be way less disruptive!
I just read thru Alaska's policy and it includes fish as carry-on pets as well - also would be a $75 each way fee for them!! that's even more crazy than charging $75 for a little puppy!

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
goldie said:
chimom said:
This is discrimination against our furbabies!! :lol:
especially considering the number of flights I've been on with someone with 30lb "infant" in their lap kicking my seat for 4 hours! A puppy would be way less disruptive!
I just read thru Alaska's policy and it includes fish as carry-on pets as well - also would be a $75 each way fee for them!! that's even more crazy than charging $75 for a little puppy!
Are you serious? Now that is really ridiculous. BTW, I totally agree about the "infants". I was on a Delta flight from Orlando to Dallas/Ft. Worth a couple of years ago, and the people in back of me had the largest "infant" I've ever seen - this "infant" was walking, and because the seat next to me was empty, before the flight was over, they put their "infant" in that seat, and he proceeded to throw up all over the seat and my slacks and shoes. Needless to say, I was NOT a happy camper! :x

1 - 15 of 15 Posts