Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

Does anyone have any experience flying with your Chihuahua? I have been doing a lot of research on the rules and regulations, but would like to know your personal experiences. Please share! Thanks so much :D

·
Registered
488 Posts
I haven't flown with my Chi, but did with my last dog. Different airlines have slightly different rules, so call if you have any questions. Airports seem consistent in requiring pets to stay in their carriers, and they must stay enclosed on the plane, so be sure your dog is happy and comfortable with its carrier. Some airports have pet potty areas after you go through security, so look into that too.

In general, do what research you can (as you have already started) and do your best to follow the rules. Bending or breaking the rules does nothing but make all those traveling with pets look bad, which may lead to us being less welcome in the future.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
I have flown with my chi's 5-6 times . I bought the carriers from the airlines and got the dogs used to them before flying. They did great. No one, except those that sat next to me knew they were there. I had a friend with me, so each of us had a chi under the seat. I flew Southwest. I decided that the extra expense of the carriers was worth the 'worry' that the airlines wouldn't OK my carriers!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both so very much! I've read many horror stories on other forums where dogs were denied or something went wrong. I guess as long as you have all of your ducks in a row and follow the rules, it'll be fine. Thanks again! :)

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I fly with my 2 chis all the time. Just make sure the size of your carrier fits under the seat. I prefer soft sided carriers because they are flexible. I always tell the person that sits next to me that I have pets with me and ask if they're ok with it. 9 out of 10 times they don't mind. But there was this one time when this lady came and was wiping her seat with sanitizing wipes and went ballistic when she noticed I have dogs. The attendants moved me to a different seat.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts