Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

My little chihuahua puppy, Frankie, has a fairly large fontanel. She seems to be otherwise very healthy and active. She has a reasonable appetite, I've taught her to fetch and she loves people.

She is 12 weeks old and I thought it would have grown over by now. I'm very worried about the prospect of hydrocephalus.

Am I just being an overprotective chihuahua momma or is this something I should investigate further?

Thank you

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
At 12 weeks Bryco's was still 1/2 of his head, far bigger than a quarter, and there was a 2nd one back a bit further the size of a dime.

Now at 10 months the back one is entirely closed and maybe the size of a pea is still open in the front.

They close up slowly, so don't worry. And many, many chis have open fontanels their whole lives, my Oakley is grown and has one the size of a dime that will never go away, she is just find though.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Aj has one the size of a pea, and Bijou has one thats fairly large.
I've heard it's very common to have a large molera in the smaller Chi's.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Zoey has 2, about the size of a half dollar. She has mild hydrocephalus. My bridge boy Sebastian had a smaller one as a puppy but it closed by the time he was 1 year old.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks so much for your responses. I will get the vet to look at it but it does reassure me that you all have had experience with it and it has either grown over or they are okay to live with it.

I took her for her first lead walk today and she went so well so I guess its time to just relax and enjoy her in all her cuteness.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
How large is fairly large!! Both mine had big ones at that age daisy is grown and has a pin sized one

Lotus is 7 months and hers is still the size of my thumbif I put it on her head hopefully it means her head will pop more lol

Does your dog shoe any other signs of hydro

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Tango's fontanel never closed all the way. It's not quite the size of a quarter. He's never had any problems.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
At 12 weeks Bryco's was still 1/2 of his head, far bigger than a quarter, and there was a 2nd one back a bit further the size of a dime.

Now at 10 months the back one is entirely closed and maybe the size of a pea is still open in the front.

They close up slowly, so don't worry. And many, many chis have open fontanels their whole lives, my Oakley is grown and has one the size of a dime that will never go away, she is just find though.
This :)

Rylie is 5 years old, and still has one about the size of a nickel.

Emma has one even larger than that... she's 11 months old.

Tucker's is very tiny, smaller than pea sized.

None have hydrocephalus or other issues because of them :)

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Three of mine still have fontanels..the other two closed up. I've found the smaller the chi the bigger the fontanel. It's totally normal but some vets don't remember that it is if they don't deal much with chihuahuas...:) None were hydro...:)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts