Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I have my two chis who used to eat together for al itlte while but then she started to get mad at tyson if he was even close and theyd sort of attack eachother. no one ever got hurt but it was still scary. anyways i started feeding them in their condos (kennels) so theyd be separated. they would both rush to eat their food thinking hte other one would geti t something but even having them separated chloe just eats it like a maniac and still growls at anything that moves. i can stick my hand in it and get near her and shes fine but not with tyson. anyway my main problem is that she doesnt chew her food at all. she swallows it whole. and sometimes when shes done shes sort of coughing or doing this weird breathing thing and im so scared she might choke. i feed them nutro max and the puppy food is atcually bigger than the adult food but shes not ready for the adult food yet. i was wondering if its still because she thinks tyson will get her food. and if i should try something else or how dangerous it is. i dont know how to get her to calm down while she eats. poor thing. any adivce would be helpful. im going to talk to the vet on tuesday when i bring them in. tyson is getting hsi annuals and chloe is getting blood work before her spay.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
I don't have two chi's so I can't help much there...

But...

When Gizmo is around his brother Joey (the toy poodle) he eats Joey's food and Joey becomes aggresive...so I have to feed them on opposite sides to keep the peace... :roll:

Giz swallows his food most of the time...it is really annoying me cuz lately he has been puking up whole chunks of Science Diet Kibbles....

Anyways...I kinda understand what your going through....

I make sure I feed them seperate...

Sorry I can't be of more help :wave:

·
Registered
5,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well thanks anyway... that did actualy make me feel better...i guess swallowing their food whole wont hurt them. chloe threw up whole pieces one time too but is normally fine except for the weird coughish thing. i guess they can still digest it fine even though its not chewed.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I don't know what everyone's thoughts on free feeding kibble is on here so I hope I don't get yelled at, :shock:
But when my two got food aggressive I had to start free feeding , the vet assured me that a short time of my male being back on puppy food would be alright. My dogs used to eat so fast they would choke and snort, and occasionally vomit. It took only a couple days of overeating (and over-pooping :roll: ) but they soon realized they would always have food and didn't have to fight or inhale it.
I know that some dogs will eat until they pop, so this may not be an option for you, but good luck!
I have been free feeding for over a year now and my dogs are in excellent health and at good weights. Again, good luck

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
I used to free feed but Gadget stopped eating like that so I feed him mid morning and at dinner time... when I first started doing this he would eat fine the mid morning feeding but at dinner he would scarf it down so fast he wouldn't chew it.. then he would start his coughing thing.. so I started pulling it away while he was eating and telling him to slow down and breath. now he eats slower and he doesn't have that problem... I would try this it might work for her.. you did say she isn't aggressive to you while she eats right? this might work... the other thing you might want to try it to make it so she can't see the other dog.

·
Registered
5,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks ill have to try i did it a couple times but everytime i take it away she starts jumping on me to get it and when she finally sits and i give it back she just scarfs it down again if im patient though maybe shell get the idea lol tyson eats above her so she really cant see him but im sure she knows hes up there shes a food freak especially when tyson is around and i think if she could shed eat the whole bag of food so the free feeding makes me nervous i dont want her to make herself sick or anything

1 - 6 of 6 Posts