Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I need some help/advise. Harley has food allergies and has been put on z/d hills prescription diet by the vet. He is doing great as far as not vomiting but he is somewhat constipated and seems to be itching all the time. He doesn’t have fleas but does have sensitive skin. Basically what I need help and advice on is the food, I do not like the Science diet / Hills food and company. I need to find another food that will work for him, ie. no vomit and more natural and holistic. I have went through a lot of the stickies on this site and other info, I was never good in science / chemistry so most just make this more confusing. If anyone has had a pet with food allergies and has been able to find something else of better quality I would love to know. The foods I know he can’t have are chicken, beef, venison, and trout. He needs to have a protein that is not in most dog foods. My vet has suggested kangaroo. Anyone know where I can get kangaroo food? I know it is made however my google search didn’t find anyone that actually sells it. I am also willing to try cooking for him and possibly a raw diet. However my vet says that a raw diet is really hard to do with a dog that has food allergies. Any help and advice anyone has is very appreciated.

Nichole

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
id suggest california natural, its made specifically for dogs with allergies and its basically got 2 ingreidents in each flavour its made to have a few ingredients in possible to make it safe for dogs with food alergies. they have a lamb and rice forumla that would probably work for you. i belive they are also working on or reacently came out with a bison formula (which is easier to digest than beef) i dont know of anywhere your going find kangeroo meat outside of australia, however the lamb would probably work for you guys.

i recomend cal-nat for most allergy dogs.

·
Registered
785 Posts
JoJo seems to itch his lower back and bite/lick his feet when he eats foods with chicken. After playing musical foods for a while, we have stuck with Wellness, the salmon and sweet potato variety! Wellness also has a 'Simple Solutions' variety that targets food allergies-- may suite your baby..
Good luck! :)

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone on the suggestions, I am going to try your suggestions. I think I will start with the California Natural.

Kiffany, I don't know exactly what he is allergic to.

My vet says he needs to have something he has never had before, kangaroo was suggested. However in the last few days I have given him a tiny piece of his venison treats and he hasn't had no vomit yet, nock on wood. Possibly the Hills z/d has calmed his tummy down and one of the suggested foods will work.

Thanks again everyone,
Nichole

1 - 8 of 8 Posts