Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys, Im new here and this is my first post. I am soon getting a 9 week old male puppy and had some questions about what food brand I should pick. I was looking at the Acana (grain free) and Orijen brand or something in that price range. What brand and flavor would be best for such a young puppy? I would consider other brands so I'm open to suggestions.

Also at such a young age what are some good treats to give them? Would pieces of their regular kibble be fine or should i give them something extra tasty when positive reinforcement is needed?

Also im not sure if i should just leave food out all the time or feed him 4x a day and on a certain schedule? I guess as i will be at work then the middle 2 feedings would not be scheduled. Not sure what to do about that.

Great site and thanks in advance.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Those are great brands (both) of kibble. If you wanted to feed raw instead there is loads of information on that int he food section here.

I use boiled chicken in teeny tiny pieces for training / reinforcement.

Any photos of your new baby?

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Miya joined my family 2 weeks ago. When we got her she was 8 weeks old. The breeder had her eating the puppy brand of Organix. I read a bit about it and it seems to be one of the better brands. Natural...which was important. I did tons of research trying to decide what to feed her...raw or kibble...narrowed it to kibble..then it was Wellness, Orijen, Fromm's, etc etc...I decided to just stick with what the breeder had her on for the first couple months to a year of her life...as for treats, we give her the wellness puppy treats. She does fine with both organix and wellness treats...actually she seems to love them.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
We fed Jax three times a day until he was one and now he's fed twice a day. I don't recommend leaving food out as we did that with our big dog and he became really fat. Now, we measure :) start with the weight guidelines and watch for weight loss or gain to adjust as needed. Good luck!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the responses. I think I'm going to go with Acana and see how it goes. For treats either some boiled chicken or possibly look into the Stella and chewy to start. Gonna have food available all the time at start and once he's 2 months i think I'm gonna start him on some sort of a schedule.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Also I want to add that we leave food out at all times of the day so she can eat when she wants to. When she's a little older we will start scheduling her feeding times...my vet also recommended this.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts