Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Chi guys and gals..

Just a quick question.. At 8 weeks old.. Gimli is starting to exhibit picky eating habits. I have him on a set schedule for food and I'm noticing that he is eating less than he did just 2 weeks ago.

I have tried changing times and bowls..

My vet said that he may just be at a growth plateau.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
518 Posts
I didn't have Frasier at 8 weeks, but I had a similar problem when I got him at 17 weeks. He was teething on top of being picky anyways and didn't want to eat some days. This scared me because he was underweight when I got him, but I absolutely refuse to give him any human food ever. So I just did a variety of things to get him to eat..

1. hand feed
2. get on your hands and knees and pretend like you're eating the food
(don't laugh - this worked some days :lol: )
3. wet the food
4. let him eat beside you while you're eating
5. toss the food to him a piece at a time like you're playing a game
6. put one piece in his mouth and make him eat (if this doesn't work -stop after 2 pieces)

I spent a lot of time worrying over this and manipulating him into eating, but now we're at 6 months and his weight is healthy and appetite good.

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
dont worry this happenss they have days where they hardly eat at all due to one thing and another I did try and hand feed when I first had ozzy but the only thing that worked was :

I usedf to boil a chicken breast and wait for it to cool and then cut it into tiny tiny pieces and mix it in with his food (mixes best with wet food) he loved it and over time just decrease the amount of chicken until you just give regular food - I would only try this if things get bad and you have tried all the other ways lol - all youll get fed up of boiling chicken like me I used to do it in batches and then you can keep it refrigerated for up to 3 days

anyway good luck and keep us posted

:wave:

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
toss the food to him a piece at a time like you're playing a game

I thought I was the ONLY person who has to do that ;) that is the stage my 'fizzy' is going through at the moment :roll:

·
Registered
41 Posts
try feeding him out of your hand also a flate plate, I got my chi at 7wks what are you feeding him? I fed Bago Royal Canin for chi's mini, and soaked it in warm water for it to get soft and then gave it to him otherwise he would'nt eat...
good luck!
Kathy and Bago!

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
Fizzys mum said:
toss the food to him a piece at a time like you're playing a game

I thought I was the ONLY person who has to do that ;) that is the stage my 'fizzy' is going through at the moment :roll:
lmao! no way, my whole drama with chiwi not eating and i figured out what her problem was: she didn't like eating off of a plate, out of a bowl, refused a coaster ect. then one day i knocked her food bowl over and when i picked the bowl up she started eating the food! now she'll walk over to the bowl and paw at it and look at me so i have to put the food onto the floor! then i have to throw a piece down andshe'll take that piece run around with it and flip it in the air then eat it. she'll do that a few times then when she is done playing with her food she eats without having to have it thrown around.

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
I also had to come up with very 'creative' ways to feed Ginger when she went through that phase.
I would also lie next to her bowl and 'pretend' to eat with her. Some days this would work. Others she would eat literally one kibble at a time out of my hands. Other times I would toss her food around like treats and she would eat them that way.
I ended up buying some canned food to mix in with the dry and she did best with this. I would then put less and less in the dry and get her back to regular dry.
I did the whole chicken and people food thing but she wouldnt want to eat her dog food...for her anyway that was not the way to go...but sometimes you need to give them something.
Hang in there and let us know if any of our tricks helps

1 - 7 of 7 Posts