Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 7 year old Chihuahua and a 5 year old chiweenie, they have been eating science diet happily for the last few years. But the last few months they haven't been eating it like they used to. I've done my research, and It says dogs do not get sick of food... but why else would they not be interested in eatting? They leave the food in the bowl for hours.

Full disclosure, I've had the chiweenie for only 2 years, from a bad situation, and the chi for her entire life. The chi was always a picky eater, would ignore food in her bowl and not eat for a couple of days at a time. Is it maybe possible the chiweenie is just now feeling safe and secure and following my chihuahuas lead?

Any help is appreciated because I'm am very unsure about this food situation.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey! my dogs get sick of the same food all the time. I actually try to pick two or three brands that they like, buy smaller bags of each and alternate the food each day. My dogs actually went on strike when I tried to offer them Science Diet, they just didn't like it. But they like Royal Canine, Merrick and Fresh Pet. I alternate between the three. My base is the Royal Canine, then I sprinkle some Fresh Pet on their dinner a couple times a week or mix in some Merrick ( I get the one with the freeze dried bits of food in it) other nights. I recently discovered Orijen. It's spendy but they have a small bag of freeze dried high protein food. You can break up some and put ontop of their meal or add some to warm water then serve it. Between the two of them, a weenie and a chinese crested/chi. I use one of the freeze dried slabs, its roughly the size of a hockey puck. I break it in half and then crumble it up with some warm water and mix in some of the royal canine. After it soaks for a good ten minutes I give it to them, I just do this once a week. Otherwise I cook them each an egg once a week for dinner, if I am cooking any sort of meat I keep out some for each of them unflavored and I'll give them that for dinner, I'll mix the Orijen with some Royal Canine once a week and sprinkle in some Merrick or Fresh Pet the other nights. Their breakfast is also a normal serving each of the Royal Canine that they usually pick at throughout the day, they are both short burst eaters.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Dogs can definitely get sick of having the same food. My lab/setter mix would only eat one type of food for a couple weeks before going on a hunger strike. That got us into a rotation habit. I now make sure I rotate not only brands, but protein sources and types of food as well. We do kibble in the morning (with some yogurt and whatever other supplements they are on) and some type of wet food in the evening (be it canned, rehydrated, or homemade). As an aside, introducing wet foods has made a huge difference in their health (and they are always excited for dinner!).

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you guys so much for answering!! Its good to know that dogs do get sick of food, because I was very unsure. I'm going to research the options you both talked about and switch things up. Thank you both so much!

·
Registered
530 Posts
I feed Royal Canin Chihuahua, and they formulate it to be very tasty to Chihuahuas, since Chihuahuas are so picky. Cuddles LOVES her Royal Canin, and Royal Canin has many years of research behind their food.

Cuddles and I are definitely fans of Royal Canin. She's actually doing better on it than she was on Primal, which many people consider to be one of the highest quality foods.

TMI warning:
Her poops are very small and have an ideal consistency, so I know it's digesting well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 5 month old, long hair, apple-head Chihuahua, full bred. She weighs 2 1/2lbs this a.m.
I was concerned she might not be getting enough protein in her diet.
Her breeder, who has 5 Chihuhua Show dogs just like her, told me to feed her Blue Buffalo Small Breed food. She is to get 2T of food 3X a day of the following food, Beef, Chicken, aling with small portions of Brown rice, or Sweet Potato, green beans, carrots and celery, naturally chopped small. I am to sprinkle Pink Salt lightly on her food. I actually cook the Beef and Chicken (separately) in a slow, small crockpot so the meat or chicken, is just tender and juicy. I am to alternate her meals. Meaning, she gets Blue Buffalo in the a.m., then beef at noon, and chicken around 5 or 6 p.m. She loves the sweet potato and green beans. Celery she likes too, but brown rice and carrots she leaves behind. Right now, I can only get her to eat 1 Tablespoon at each meal, that's all she wants. In between, I was told to bake in the oven at 180 degrees, for 2 hrs, cut up beef and chicken for Jerky for her to eat 1 or 2 pieces between her meals. She's is crazy about the Jerky! She was born Dec 13th, 2019. I bought her in March when she was 2 lbs. The Breeder told me her adult weight will be only 4lbs, like her mommy is.
She's the sweetest like girl. Smart as a whip. She runs around the house like lightening, loveable, playful, and makes me and my family laugh like crazy at the things she does. She was trained to tinkle and potty on puppy pads, which she does perfectly! I wouldn't trade her for the World. I named her Bambi. Torchy Massie in Frankfort, Il.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I have a 5 month old, long hair, apple-head Chihuahua, full bred. She weighs 2 1/2lbs this a.m.
I was concerned she might not be getting enough protein in her diet.
Her breeder, who has 5 Chihuhua Show dogs just like her, told me to feed her Blue Buffalo Small Breed food. She is to get 2T of food 3X a day of the following food, Beef, Chicken, aling with small portions of Brown rice, or Sweet Potato, green beans, carrots and celery, naturally chopped small. I am to sprinkle Pink Salt lightly on her food. I actually cook the Beef and Chicken (separately) in a slow, small crockpot so the meat or chicken, is just tender and juicy. I am to alternate her meals. Meaning, she gets Blue Buffalo in the a.m., then beef at noon, and chicken around 5 or 6 p.m. She loves the sweet potato and green beans. Celery she likes too, but brown rice and carrots she leaves behind. Right now, I can only get her to eat 1 Tablespoon at each meal, that's all she wants. In between, I was told to bake in the oven at 180 degrees, for 2 hrs, cut up beef and chicken for Jerky for her to eat 1 or 2 pieces between her meals. She's is crazy about the Jerky! She was born Dec 13th, 2019. I bought her in March when she was 2 lbs. The Breeder told me her adult weight will be only 4lbs, like her mommy is.
She's the sweetest like girl. Smart as a whip. She runs around the house like lightening, loveable, playful, and makes me and my family laugh like crazy at the things she does. She was trained to tinkle and potty on puppy pads, which she does perfectly! I wouldn't trade her for the World. I named her Bambi. Torchy Massie in Frankfort, Il.
I would suggest seeking the advice of a canine nutritionist to see if she is getting enough protein and to see if that's a balanced diet for her

·
Registered
2 Posts
I did. She suggested I try food made by The Farmer's Dog. They made Bambi's food, Turkey and Beef with good veggies with vitamins and minerals according to her size, weight and needs. The food looks wonderful and healthy. I followed their directions to the "T". The first 2 days, Bambi consumed 1 1-2 tablespoon at each of her 3 meals.
After that, she no longer wanted their food and with her nose, tried to bury their delicious, healthy food. I am very perplexed about it. I have written to the company asking them to hold up any future shipments. They had put Bambi on a Trial Period. I was so hoping she would live this food, because it really is nutritious. Anyone on this forum that can help me with suggestions, I sure would appreciate it. My 16 yr old Chihuahua passed away from Cancer last year. Bambi has helped heal my heart from losing her and my husband who also passed away few months before my losing my other Chihuahua. Thank you for replying to me. Torchy

·
Registered
530 Posts
That sounds like a good food. It's unfortunate that she doesn't like it.

There is a supplement called Balance It for homemade diets. I don't know about now, but on their website they used to have a recipe generator to help create your own balanced homemade dog food. I've never tried it but have heard good things about it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts