Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Tomorrow we are getting a 5.5 week old puppy along with its sibling (They are rescues)
We have chicken mince and chicken necks and eukanuba puppy food as well as puppy milk to moisten the kibble on hand.
We will slowly wean the puppies off the food the person was giving them, as I highly doubt it was as nutritious, I will find out when we meet with her.

Do you think it is too young to give small pulverized parts of raw chicken necks? Or should I stick with the chicken mince and kibble to being with, slowly introduce the new kibble and go from there?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Chimon, The lady who has these pups is dogsitting her friends female Chi, whom is a pedigree while she is Overseas. I am guessing the mother wasn't spayed because of this. Anyhow, the lady was getting rid of them at this age to a pet store. She is coming from the country on this date regardless, so we either take them or let them go to the petshop. I spoke to her the last weel to see how the weaning was going and they were going okay. I left a psot in the Newbies forum :)

I have been reading into raw food diets for dogs, as, dog species are primarily meat eaters. Although as I am not experienced enough on the subject, I will be feeding both meat and kibble until (if at all) I decide on feeding raw foods exclusively.

When we had other Chi x dacshund, she was a rescue also, but as an older pup and she was with my partner before I met him, so feeding toys dogs at a young age is not strong point. I am hoping some breeders will give some good advice, as I have seen some great advice on here already :thumbup:

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
I am glad you are rescueing these babies,...

My vet told me that raw meat is not good for small puppies because their digestive system is very facile... You might want to check with a vet...

I heard chicken bones are not good for dogs... I am not sure if that includes the neck...

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
I saw your post in the newbie section after I posted. I would do the same in your shoes. Even though 5 weeks is way too young to leave the mom, it is much better than going to a pet shop. I read a lot about the raw diet also, but when I menioned it to my vet, she was not in favor of it at all. She had an emergency come in just as we started to discuss it, so I never really had a chance to find out why.

Good luck with your little one.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Gadget's Mom said:
I heard chicken bones are not good for dogs... I am not sure if that includes the neck...
You sure can feed your dog raw chicken wings and chickens necks :)
(I was not sure about feeding a puppy of a young age them.)

I know some vets/people are against feeding raw foods exclusively, because without a balances diet, which includes rice and veggies, and other suppliment's, the dog suffers longterm. (almost like eating table scraps!)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts