Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I need more questions answering!
So I've been Milo's Mummy 3 weeks today :)

The breeder gave me the Puppy food she uses and as shes a breeder I thought that she knew best and have been carrying on with the same food anyhow at Puppy trainng this week the trainer said to be warned what we are feeding our Puppies as some foods only have a small % of meat in.

And guess what Milo's wet food has 60%meat and animal derivatives(?) Only 4% fresh meat. depending on what flavour sometimes and 4% of that meat.
He also has dry(kibble) which he seems to leave.

So my question is do I introduce him from this onto something else so he doesnt get a poorly tummy?
How do I find the best food for him?
He also loves cooked chicken breast, She also fed Pear and apple but I think he would eat more or unless anything if I let Him!

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
What do you want to feed him?? Do you want to make your own meals, go raw or feed a good premium food?
What brand are you feeding him??

I know nothing about dog food at all as i don't feed it but there are a lot of very experienced owners on here (you would have seen all the threads about the difficulties finding a decent food for them)

Ziwipeak seems to be a favourite and is very very good (its basically raw food dehydrated or in a can) but is quite pricey.

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/

If you look on this site it gives reviews of everything.. go for a 5 or 6 star food if you can!

Every dog is different and likes different things, some thrive on grains, some don't etc etc Just do whats best for you and Milo

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What do you want to feed him?? Do you want to make your own meals, go raw or feed a good premium food?
What brand are you feeding him??
Pedigree puppy atm love cooking so i wont mind trying to make my own!

I know nothing about dog food at all as i don't feed it but there are a lot of very experienced owners on here (you would have seen all the threads about the difficulties finding a decent food for them)

Do you feed fresh home cooked/ raw food?

Ziwipeak seems to be a favourite and is very very good (its basically raw food dehydrated or in a can) but is quite pricey.

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/Oh must have a look!

Every dog is different and likes different things, some thrive on grains, some don't etc etc Just do whats best for you and Milo
I just want to make sure I can give him the best!

what she said! :albino: :coolwink:

my baby loves cooked/boiled/fried chicken with bread crumbs and chopped up vegs
any veg? do you just give the same as what you would have?

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Tbh there are cheap foods you buy in the supermarket and better foods you can buy from pets at home and some pet shope here.

Now I'll be honest and admit I didn't know about all this when I got Cookie and Benny and they were fed on a dry food bought from the supermarket. I only changed to something better Royal Canin I'd say about 3 years ago. Now as you can see Cookie is 14 years old now so it's not done him any harm.

Like I said I feed Royal Canin now. It's an decent food and it's what I can get here.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Dogs actually dont need veg.. unless its pulverised they can't digest it fully (you'll notice if you give your dog a carrott there will be lumps of carrott in its poo).

OK i'll give my opinion on this.

I Raw feed.. basically raw meat, raw bones and raw organs i personally believe its best for my dog (also she is allergic to any dog food she gets bloody stools and mucous if she has one piece of dry food) its what they were made to eat.. Biologically appropriate yadayadayada.

Some dogs don't take it (like Dexter he hated it wouldn't touch it and would rather die of starvation than eat gummys lol) but thats quite rare i think. Most dogs love it!! The benefits are amazing, teeny practically odorless stools, no itching, less shedding, no nasty dog smell, practically no staining in tears (i have a blondie, her eyes water like mad in the sun but do not stain, i'm sure its coz of her diet), no doggy breath, clean teeth and generally better health.

Some people can't or don't want to do raw and i fully respect that.

If i was to feed dog food tho i'd feed Ziwipeak as you get some of the benefits above (you wouldn't get the teeth cleaning effect from it). Like i said its pricey though and you'd have to order it online as its only just been launched in the uk.. delivery is next day tho by courier!

Whatever you choose to do, research into it thoroughly and unless you decide to go raw.. transition slowly changing dog foods suddenly can cause very loose stools..
Although if its a better quality then some just eath the new stuff and ignore the other stuff ha

·
Registered
16,946 Posts
I just want to make sure I can give him the best!

any veg? do you just give the same as what you would have?
what i would recommend are
stringbeans(raw)
carrots (whole, sliced, shredded, or cutup) my guy is picky
potatoes (cooked)
yams (cooked)
asparagus (steamed)
broccoli (steamed)
he loves orange & yellow peppers (without seeds of course)
once in a blue he munches on a romaine lettuce
peas (frozen) or if you think its too small enough to choke dont bother lol
kirby cucumbers
japanese squash (baked)
pumpkin (not pie mix) this is given as a help for constipated or dirrahea dogs. too much will give more dirrahea but just enough will make the dog back to solid poo

fruit
apples (no peel or seeds)
cantaloupe
honeydew
watermelon (no seeds)
blueberries
mango
strawberry
banana (although dexter touch these)
blackberry
raspberry
cranberry

my speciality for my dexter is:
juicing the honeydew to make juice
or even watermelon juice

maybe theres more...but im getting hungry from this haha

·
Registered
16,946 Posts
Dogs actually dont need veg.. unless its pulverised they can't digest it fully (you'll notice if you give your dog a carrott there will be lumps of carrott in its poo).

Some dogs don't take it (like Dexter he hated it wouldn't touch it and would rather die of starvation than eat gummys lol) but thats quite rare i think. Most dogs love it!!
very true daisy. dogs dont need it. however they give off vitamins too as in natural supplements ;) just like on some dog treats they include the fruits/veg. and when i gave dexter mango one night when he had soft pooey he had solid again the next morning :hello1:
http://dogs.suite101.com/article.cfm/fruits-that-are-healthy-and-safe-for-dogs

LOL!!! yes dexter hated raw!:foxes15:

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
very true daisy. dogs dont need it. however they give off vitamins too as in natural supplements ;) just like on some dog treats they include the fruits/veg. and when i gave dexter mango one night when he had soft pooey he had solid again the next morning :hello1:
http://dogs.suite101.com/article.cfm/fruits-that-are-healthy-and-safe-for-dogs

LOL!!! yes dexter hated raw!:foxes15:
Daisy loves mango hahaha she chews on it to her hearts content.. I've given it just saying that you don't have to as they don't need it!!

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I agree with what has been said, with a few warnings ...

Balancing a raw diet is easy.... you want 80% meat, 10% bone, 10% organs. Done and Done.

With a homecooked diet, you are losing many of the meat's enzymes and vitamins by cooking. (With the exception of liver which actually gets more concentrated when dried/cooked).

Most canine nutritionists recommend that supplements are NOT needed with a raw diet. However, they ARE needed with a cooked diet.

A cooked diet has less margin for error, so before you go down that road do your research. A healthy cooked diet is not just throwing some meat and veggies in a pan and frying it up and calling it good. That doesn't give the dog all the vitamins/minerals needed. Plus it doesn't do anything for their teeth. Serious nutritional deficiencies have occurred with willy-nilly homecooked diets. If you go this route, please do your homework.

Just giving the other side of the coin on homemade diets. There is lots of info on the web if you are interested in raw or home cooked diets.

If you are looking for a good quality kibble, then go to dogfoodanalysis.com and pick one that is 5 or 6 stars. Origen is a good one. Some people like Innova and/or Evo, but they have recently been sold to Proctor and Gamble so many people are shying away from them. If you do some research, I'm sure you can find a good quality kibble that you will be happy with.

But yes, whatever you decide to do, get RID of the PURINA!!!

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
I agree with what has been said, with a few warnings ...

Balancing a raw diet is easy.... you want 80% meat, 10% bone, 10% organs. Done and Done.

With a homecooked diet, you are losing many of the meat's enzymes and vitamins by cooking. (With the exception of liver which actually gets more concentrated when dried/cooked).

Most canine nutritionists recommend that supplements are NOT needed with a raw diet. However, they ARE needed with a cooked diet.

A cooked diet has less margin for error, so before you go down that road do your research. A healthy cooked diet is not just throwing some meat and veggies in a pan and frying it up and calling it good. That doesn't give the dog all the vitamins/minerals needed. Plus it doesn't do anything for their teeth. Serious nutritional deficiencies have occurred with willy-nilly homecooked diets. If you go this route, please do your homework.

Just giving the other side of the coin on homemade diets. There is lots of info on the web if you are interested in raw or home cooked diets.

If you are looking for a good quality kibble, then go to dogfoodanalysis.com and pick one that is 5 or 6 stars. Origen is a good one. Some people like Innova and/or Evo, but they have recently been sold to Proctor and Gamble so many people are shying away from them. If you do some research, I'm sure you can find a good quality kibble that you will be happy with.

But yes, whatever you decide to do, get RID of the PURINA!!!
very good advice. just thought I'd add we can't get some of those brands of dry food here.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Loads of great advice here..
I'd love to feed raw eventually but until i've researched enough i've chosen to feed Ziwipeak. Good luck with your decision..
Oh and with 1 chi Ziwipeak isn't that much more expensive at all! x

1 - 12 of 12 Posts