Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pixie is really weird about eating. If I put food out in front of her at certain times during the day she won't eat. She only eats if I leave it out all day and she kind of just picks at it all day. She never wants to eat a whole lot at once for some reason. Is is okay to eat this way? I also wonder if the food gets stale just sitting there all day waiting for her to decide she will eat. She just is really against eating on a certain schedule I guess. Please let me know if anyone else feeds this way. Thank you.

·
Registered
897 Posts
A little of both here actually. I leave the food out all day but Angel really only gets 2 regular feedings. I give fresh food and water in the mornings. Whatever is left over, remains there til dinner time when I provide fresh food and water again. Sometimes Angel will eat a small mid-day meal but not usually. She eats breakfast late and then a late dinner.

Even if I left a full bowl of food out all day long, she would still only eat twice a day. :)

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
vixie is free fed as are ALL my dogs throughtou my life. the food isnt going to get stale in 1 day.
we put the food out in the morning vixie gets to pick at it during the day when she wants (and yeah she will pick she NEVER eats a big meal and will sulk if i try and make her eat a big meal) then in the evening about 1hr before bed the food gets picked up and thrown out. ready for fresh food in the morning.
it works best this way for us and sounds like the best idea for you and your baby....as it seems shes just like my baby.
its safe and healthy so long as she isnt getting more than the recomended amount of food a day...

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
I schedule feed only because it was drilled into my head by my vets, but I have more then one dog. If I had only one dog I think it wouldnt matter, but this way I can tell who is eating what and make sure one isnt getting more food and taking away from the other. :wink: (yeah that would be Kylie...little eating machine!)

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Cooper gets fed one meal a day at 5:02 pm on the dot. (Oma gets fed at 5pm... she's always first.) He gets a tablespoon of canned food, mixed with about 1/4 cup of his kibble. It's gone by 5:03.

I do leave out about 1/4th of a cup of kibble during the day but he never eats it... sometimes, he has a wild hair and takes a few pieces though.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
I leave food out 24/7 for Chico. He'll eat a little here and there during the day, but for some reason just as i'm going to bed, he'll chow down and then i'll have to get up again and let him outside. i think he does it on purpose :lol:

·
Registered
5,286 Posts
i TRY to pick the food up after a breakfast but that also doesn't work out so if i got to do it in the AM at 8pm evertnight the food gets taken away

Jamoka really doesn't eat during the day but fat girl aka jemini eats allllllll day!!

·
Registered
40 Posts
my 2 chi's both refuse to eat at all if i try to make them eat at a certian time. they like to have their food out all day so that they can go niblle when they want, and both of them like to take one piece of food and play with it by tossing it around and chassing it before they eat it. it takes them almost an hour to eat 5 pieces. my mother-in-law also has chi's, 4 of them, and due to some weight problems with her oldest one she only puts out one meal at a time for them, and they gobble it down in seconds and sit around begging until its time for the next meal. i guess it depends on your dog, as long as no other pets are gonna eat all their food while they aren't looking it should be fine to leave it out. :)

·
Registered
298 Posts
hehe i was going to ask this the other week :D

tykes was the same he had gone off his 9am and 9pm feed so i was having to leave it down all day, he would just pick at it all day :roll: but it starts to smell and go off in the hot weather!

so what i did was put his 9am feed down...he would smell and move away from it :roll: so i would make sure he sees me putting it in the fridge and he looks all :? and worndering where his food has gone sniffing around for it so i got it back out and this time he had it all..lol

so when the 9pm feed time comes i had to do the same thing :roll:

and then the same thing again for a few days! now hes back to eating 9am and 9pm :D without me having to put it in the fridge...lol

another thing if you want your chi to eat as soon as you give it to them try hand feeding them then moving away!

star x

·
Registered
269 Posts
Mine have always free feed. I only feed dry and I leave it out 24/7 because Sybil picks at food and always have. She does start to eat when we get home but I do not like to leave without them having food and fresh water everyday.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
I thought I'd add... I free feed OmaKitty because she's a cat and they're so much different than dogs when it comes to eating. The only thing is, if the food's been in her bowl over 12 hours, she won't eat it. I think it may go "stale" or isn't so yummy after a while.

Cooper won't eat kibble that's been sitting out either. These are the first animals I've ever had where you can't just "top off" what they have left in their bowls. I actually throw away around 95% of Cooper's kibble because he just doesn't eat the stuff I leave out. I empty his bowl about every 2 days. Good thing I feed him the expensive stuff, huh? :roll:

·
Registered
8,578 Posts
i prepare food in the mornings (or when we get up :D ) and free feed during the day ...only when it's very hot ,i put it in the fridge for a while , because they don't eat often during the day anyway.....

i feed wet ( science diet chicken kibble softened by water and mixed with canned science diet chicken and a spoon of SD A/D and chopped up chicken white slices )
OH YES i have fussy eaters ,so this is what works for me :D

i put three little bowls and throw away 50 percent of it each day :roll:

kisses nat

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
I free feed also, as Jazzy never eats a full meal at one time. She nibbles off and on throughout the day. I give her fresh kibble every morning, and throw away what is left over.

She also gets a small amount of cooked, chopped chicken in the morning. I know, she is spoiled.... :lol: I seldom cook for myself, but I cook for my chi. :roll: Is there something wrong with this picture? :lol:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts