Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I opened a can of 4health to give to Cricket, and the peas in there were already brown. No way was I feeding her that. I went ahead and cut up a pork chop for her. Had to thaw it, but she had to eat. Any ideas on what I should do? I'm tempted to call the company. That made me mad! 4health is a 4 star food on dog adviser.

·
Premium Member
9,990 Posts
I would call the company right away! Did you get a photo of the food?

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
4health is part of Diamond Pet Foods. While this may not have been a part of their massive recall, I'd have followed my instincts and not fed it either!

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
I agree with Karen.

I personally wouldn't feed anything made by Diamond. They have had too many recalls. Clearly the quality of their food is not the greatest, even though they produce some 4 and 5 star foods.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone. I will call them today. No I didn't get a picture of the food. I wish I had. I was just so disgusted with it, I threw it away.

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
I think I would pick a different food that is not manufactured by Diamond Pet Food. They have had so many problems lately I just don't think I would trust them any more. Maybe you can go with Merrick if you are feeding canned, They have great canned foods for dogs.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We were thinking a different canned cause I called them. This brand is not manufactured by diamond, its by tractor supply, but I called them and informed them. They said no recalls in my state, and nothing else. Offered me a refund, but there is no way I'm buying that food again. I'll find something else for her. I have to feed grain free cause she coughs with wheat or corn. Any suggestions? I mean something not too expensive. A regular sized can lasts 2 cans a week. So I can go like 4 cans every two weeks. But can't be too expensive or hard to get.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Might be SOLD at Tractor Supply but it is MADE by Diamond Pet Foods:
Diamond Dog Food Recall Summary

Diamond Dog Food Recall Expands Again | Dog Food Advisor
I looked at it, and it isn't in my state and the best by date isn't the same, but the food didn't look right. When I talked to them on the phone, they kinda blew me off, so I'd rather just get her a different food. She gets a raw bone a week for her teeth, but she need something else. When I shop I can't just look stuff up. Any suggestions on good canned foods that aren't expensive would be appreciated.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
You get what you pay for! You can by a good quality grain free food at any pet store. The most important thing to do when buying dog food is "READ THE LABEL." If you know how to read the label & what to look for, you'll do fine. I've learned a long time ago that you get what you pay for. If you buy cheap, you get cheap, but this doesn't necessarily mean that you have to buy expensive food either. Some of the best quality foods are in the medium price range. I prefer Acana for a kibble for my chi, but I also feed ZP & raw.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm looking at blue buffalo or wellness. Not sure which as they are both good, and blue buffalo is a few cents cheaper so we may go with that.

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
I looked at it, and it isn't in my state and the best by date isn't the same, but the food didn't look right. When I talked to them on the phone, they kinda blew me off, so I'd rather just get her a different food. She gets a raw bone a week for her teeth, but she need something else. When I shop I can't just look stuff up. Any suggestions on good canned foods that aren't expensive would be appreciated.
I think the Blue Buffalo Wilderness canned foods are fairly good. They are available at Petsmart.. I don't think they are too expensive.

Fromm also makes a canned food.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think the Blue Buffalo Wilderness canned foods are fairly good. They are available at Petsmart.. I don't think they are too expensive.

Fromm also makes a canned food.
I think I'll try blue buffalo. I can't get anything else at petsmart or wal mart. So I'm going to pick her up one can and see how she likes that. If she does well and likes it, that's the brand we will stick with.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts