Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm just a bit confused. How do you guys feed your Chis? I read books and been to websites and I've gotten some very contrasting info. some say you should free-feed (just leave food in the bowl all the time), and others say you should give them as much as they care to eat for 15 mins. about 5-6 times a day. I understand that free-feeding could make them picky eaters, but, on the other hand, I don't want my pup becoming hypoglycemic from not eating during the night. What should I do? I just want to get this cleared up. :?: :?:

Thanks,
Jackie :)

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
my breeder free feeds the puppies. i plan to set a more scheduled feeding after about a week so she feels more at home, she has enough to get used to plus she has only been picking at her food. when she has a bigger better appetite that's when i'll likely start setting the schedule.

·
Registered
113 Posts
We free-feed here. At first, we had Chili on a schedule -- but then we realised that he was actually more picky that way. We measure out what he *should* eat during the day and leave that out. If (and there rarely is) any is left in his bowl the next morning, we throw that out when we wash his dish and refill it. There have only been a couple of occasions that we have found his dish empty during the day and had to refill it. Like all babies, he has growth spurts where he eats anything that doesn't eat him first!

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
luvmypuppet said:
my breeder free feeds the puppies. i plan to set a more scheduled feeding after about a week so she feels more at home, she has enough to get used to plus she has only been picking at her food. when she has a bigger better appetite that's when i'll likely start setting the schedule.
I might to do that too. It's smart, becase I wouldn't want to stress her anymore than she will be already.
Thanks for the feedback. :D

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
I still free feed too.
Once Koke is 1 year old in June, I may decide to switch.
That's when they are more prone to put on too much weight.

·
Registered
7,269 Posts
I free feed Tader I think it is wrong not to let him have access to food during the day but he is one of those chis with an attitude { just like his mommy} if you try to put him on a schedule he will go days without eating.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts