Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you get around your licensing laws?? I plan to be very picky about boosters, more specifically I don't plan to get any done, but if you don't keep up with them you can't get your pet licensed. So what do I do here?

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
The only vaccine that is required by law here is the rabies. The first rabies vaccine given is a 1 year, then 3 years thereafter. But they aren't super strict here as long as you have it done every 5 years or so.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've heard 3 years and I've heard every year. I'm not sure what it is here I'll see if I can look it up. I don't really want the rabies boosters though. They aren't necessary IMO and I'd like to not have to do them =\ This sucks.

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
Yep, I agree. It's clearly studied that they don't need all those vaccines, but yet due to the greed of Vets, they continue to do them even though they harm our pets. Then look at you like you are crazy if you opt not to do them. But I'm not easily swayed, so I just look at them stupid back. :lol: I have even went as far as to ask a vet to show me studies to back their claims. Let's just say I wasn't their fave client. :D Had a situation regarding HW meds too. They claim they need them once every 30 days, but if you study the life cycle, it is clear that 45 days will do the exact same thing.

I say, don't kill my babies just to pad their pockets!

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What is HW meds?
It also makes me mad that you have to buy a new pet license every year. Can't you just be required to make changes when they happen instead? Like a death or a rehoming? This is the lamest BS I never knew went into owning a dog. People never talk about this stuff! Oh well.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When I was looking for the vax requirements for licensing I didn't find it, but I read you have to buy a new license every year. I just think it's asinine.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Heather, are you in WA state still? We lived in WA for a while and we also had to register our dog (we only had our husky at the time) and get a license for him. When we got our license we had the option to get a 1 year license or a 3 year license and we got the 3 year because it was cheaper long term and all we needed was proof of rabies vaccination. I only get the 3 year rabies vaccine for my three dogs and nothing else. Our 3 year WA dog license expires this year but we are no longer living in WA anyway. Still it was an option when we registered our husky in 2007 so I would definitely check to see if the 3 year license is still available, and you should be able to get a license with a certified 3 year rabies vaccine if that's what you are using. We definitely did have the 3 year license in WA though, check it out because I'm sure they still have it.

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
The only vaccine that is required by law here is the rabies. The first rabies vaccine given is a 1 year, then 3 years thereafter. But they aren't super strict here as long as you have it done every 5 years or so.
It's the same here in NY state. Rabies every three years. I vaccinate minimally. I also don't use flea meds either, but I do actively practice prevention. I do use heartworm meds during the warm weather months.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
I have no idea about the USA, but here in Canada by law we don't have to vaccinate our kids.. so why would I do my dogs?

(I have strong opinions)

My oldest dog has had *some* so has Bambi.. but I have decided to forgo them for AJ, I just don't feel right doing it, and our vet is fine as long as I sign wavers when he has his neuter.

Where I live you can get a license optional but don't need proof of vaccines.
Honestly Heather? I don't think I would worry about it too much?

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have strong opinions too Kitty. That's why I posted this thread.
It's the law in my county I have to have a license for my dog. And there is no 3 year option there is 1 year or lifetime for old dogs, husky.. I will still call and ask if I can find a number to somewhere but that is what I read and heard on the phone number I already called.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Right.. but there are *laws* here as well, and who really enforces them?? if you have a tiny Chi and she's mostly in your house? would anyone know?
I mean I cannot counsel you... I just know what I am doing.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ah I thought you were doing it legally. I hear you but if someone did get a wild hair up their butt to confront me about my dog and she weren't licensed, she could be "impounded" and I have no idea what that means for her or me or anything. I also hear the fine isn't that small but I don't know. I'm glad you stick to your guns :)

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
Just my opinion, but I would never recommend foregoing all shots. I would do the puppy series at least. Parvo is very, very nasty. It's a painful death. And very contagious. It can be picked up anywhere and taken into your home. I think the core shots for puppies are very important. Again, just my opinion.

If you feel like you will get "caught" if you don't get the shots that are mandated by your laws, ask for half doses and see if that will suffice. Ask your vet.

I know here if the pup has never had a rabies vaccine, and it bites someone, say at a vet visit, they will euthanize the dog.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
They require licenses here but no one ever asks about them??? I keep meaning to do it but haven't for them. Laurel went 5 years with no rabies shot lol...clearly shes not licensed but the vet just laughed and was like oh, we dont check that stuff. We got her the shpt and will do so every 3 years til she dies. If someone ever asked me about licenses, I'd probably just look stupidly at them like I had no clue. No one told me it was the law so how should I just "know" that? Plus, the fine for not having a licensed dog is like $10 here. I do keep meaning to do it but forget on the days I have enough time. So...yeahhhhh.

I do def. recommend vaccinating for Parvo. Its dangerous and terrible and my childhood dog almost died from it. Its not worth the risk or the cost that comes with treatment. At the very least it'll cost you the $800 or so you spend on the dog that died. Just something to think about =) Parvo is one vaccine my dogs will ALWAYS get, along w/ rabies every 3 years.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I planned to do the puppy series and maybe one rabies just to satisfy those I needed to but I might do that "I didn't know" thing... I DIDN'T know. lol. I can just pretend I didn't learn.

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
Just my opinion, but I would never recommend foregoing all shots. I would do the puppy series at least. Parvo is very, very nasty. It's a painful death. And very contagious. It can be picked up anywhere and taken into your home. I think the core shots for puppies are very important. Again, just my opinion.

Totally agree about the core puppy series. I absolutely think every dog should have those initial shots.

·
Registered
912 Posts
In Oregon, when someone calls and complains that your dog is a nuisance or such, there is an officer sent out who will check your dog licenses. For all dogs, not just the one reported. If you cannot show proof, your dog will be impounded until you can show proof that your dog has in fact been vaccinated for rabies (only rabies) AND you pay for a current county license.
For this reason, I keep them vaccinated against rabies (3 year once they are old enough) and would be more than willing to pay the impound fee should any nasty person report me for not having them licensed.
Also, the severity of the initial police visit is totally up to the officer responding. If they see your lil chihuahua is actually a very friendly and well looked after pup, it's more of a slap on the wrist and a turn of the head. :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts