Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard that show breeders feed their chi's Purina One, and don't feed kibble with high protein contents, and don't feed what are considered "5 and 6 star foods" like EVO or Halo. Is this true? Or where did this come from?

·
Registered
923 Posts
A lot of show breeders I know don't feed the higher quality foods for a number of reasons.

A few close friends have these reasons:

1) Most common: I've been feeding this food for X number of years, to X number of dogs and all have lived perfectly healthy, long lives. [Ofcourse, they have had skin issues, cancers, and a myriad of other issues.. the 'oldschool' breeders tend to not like change, and high protein foods are change indeed!]

2) Second most common: They get some sort of deal, or free foods from certain companies. Big companies like Purina help pay for the big shows, and therefore winning dogs often get free food. Not to mention breeders can get all sorts of discounts and deals. A food friend had a Bil Jac rep come to her kennels and offer some whopper of a deal. ;)

·
Registered
10,596 Posts
Yeah my Breeder gives Royal Canin, she shows too.
She gets coupans for it.
She gave me a big bag when i brought the girls home and gave me some coupans for money off, i didnt use the coupans though, i had switched them over by then.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Well, I can't answer for anyone else, but I can tell you that I've fed Purina ONE and Purina Pro forever and never had any problems. They range is protein content from 28.5% to 32%. That's plenty fine for me. I certainly don't have.."skin issues, cancers, and a myriad of other issues." I'm not opposed to change. I've tried other foods and the dogs did not do as well on them. We had things ranging from teary eyes, constant scratching, feet licking, potent/prolific gas, dry, brittle coats, and weight loss. After awhile, I stopped trying new foods just because someone else said it was better. My dogs are happy and healthy eating what I feed them. With 20 years in, I say if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Of course, with that said, I'm sure you'll put me in the old school category....but that's OK. To each their own, and if yours works for you, great. I just think it's not fair to criticize others because of their food choices. Oh, BTW, I get no kickbacks, coupons, free food, discounted prices, or monetary payments to feed Purina. They don't have to. It works for my dogs and that's payment enough.

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
Ive always used Royal Canin for my Chihuahuas until they started to loose their coat shine and a bit of weight. I am now usuing Wafcol Adult Its doing them all really good! Hope doesnt even look like shes had puppies since ive been feeding this. I have read a bad review online but ive had chats with my Vets and what the food contains and she is recommending if mine are ok on it, to stay with this brand.
The Royal Canin from the Breeders Club etc i use to wean the puppies on

·
Premium Member
0 Posts

1) Most common: I've been feeding this food for X number of years, to X number of dogs and all have lived perfectly healthy, long lives. [Ofcourse, they have had skin issues, cancers, and a myriad of other issues.. the 'oldschool' breeders tend to not like change, and high protein foods are change indeed!]
I must say I detest this type of scare mongering - the internet can back up any claim made - is there a reputable source that catagorically states that dogs fed raw don't get cancers, skin disorders etc. Cancer and skin issues have been around since time began.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
People with the right power only let the media pick up what they want us to know. Don't cha know? ;)
All we can do is find the information we can and make the decision that is right for us and our pets, kids, etc.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
I've honestly never met a breeder (sorry lisa :confused:) who feeds Purina.

The breeders I have dealt with in my time were all split up in terms of food, but it was all higher end stuff.
When I got AJ he was fed Royal Canine, I changed him over.
Food is highly political.

·
Administrator
6,452 Posts
My very first chi Rusty was fed the cheapest of the cheapest dry kibble because that is all we could afford and he lived for 22 years. When I first joined on here Royal Canin was all the rage almost everybody was feeding it. The past few years they have came out with all these new high protein foods. I wonder where the studies will go with these. I feed Orijen and Ziwipeak but sometimes wonder about the high protein content in these newer foods.

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
I have seen many dogs eat the lower grade foods and live long lives, with no ill effects. Back in the day all these new rage foods and diets were non-existent. There are pros and cons to every diet. Just do the research. Where you find great reviews on something, you'll find horror stories the next. While I think that those that feed raw are doing exactly what they feel is the very best for their pup, it doesn't mean there aren't others ways of feeding your dog healthy. :)

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
. The past few years they have came out with all these new high protein foods. I wonder where the studies will go with these. I feed Orijen and Ziwipeak but sometimes wonder about the high protein content in these newer foods.
I wonder too. The high protein foods did not agree with my little ones at all and I had to take them off of it. I also researched it later on and read some negative things about feeding too high a protein content for non-working dogs. While diet is obviously important, obviously genetics and other variables (such as exercise and so forth) play a prime role. All my dogs have lived very long lives on what some people would deem lesser quality kibble, although at the time I didn't know it was considered such. I do now feed my little ones a higher quality kibble, although not one of the high protein ones. Ultimately, we all try and do the best by our babies, but what's right for one, might not be right for another. I agree with what T said above too, there are pros and cons to every diet.

·
Registered
923 Posts
I must say I detest this type of scare mongering - the internet can back up any claim made - is there a reputable source that catagorically states that dogs fed raw don't get cancers, skin disorders etc. Cancer and skin issues have been around since time began.
Sorry, not scare mongering. These statements are made by me - FACTS about FRIENDS. I didn't mention raw at all. That was YOU. Thanks.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I've honestly never met a breeder (sorry lisa :confused:) who feeds Purina.

The breeders I have dealt with in my time were all split up in terms of food, but it was all higher end stuff. When I got AJ he was fed Royal Canine, I changed him over. Food is highly political.
That's OK, KittyD. I never met any who fed Royal Canine. Come to the States and you'll find lots who feed Purina. And remember, Purina has various levels of kibbles, just like other companies. They have high end as well as "lower quality" for those who can't afford a more costly food. However, there's breeders that feed the numerous other brands as well.

There is so much more that goes into being a good breeder or owner than just the brand of dog food being fed. It's a shame to see people demeaned, even just by inuendo, because of a dog food choice they feel is best. I'm way more interested in the level of care the dogs receive versus the level of stars given to a food on a biased web review.

·
Registered
10,596 Posts
Ive always used Royal Canin for my Chihuahuas until they started to loose their coat shine and a bit of weight. I am now usuing Wafcol Adult Its doing them all really good! Hope doesnt even look like shes had puppies since ive been feeding this. I have read a bad review online but ive had chats with my Vets and what the food contains and she is recommending if mine are ok on it, to stay with this brand.
The Royal Canin from the Breeders Club etc i use to wean the puppies on
Yeah it was that reason i switched mine from RC too, plus the large smelly poos, not cause of what other people said about it.
I do fnd that Daisy's eyes stain more now that they are on Acana, but apart from that their coats are shiney and their poos are small and solid.
It's so hard to know what is the best.
Mine were on Burns mini bites before the Acana too, and that was fine, but they just stopped eating it altogether.
I think lack of variety was the reason.
They basically would have starved cause no matter what i did they wouldnt touch it anymore.
They always eat all their Acana so i am happy with that, plus i like the ingredients.

·
Premium Member
0 Posts

Sorry, not scare mongering. These statements are made by me - FACTS about FRIENDS. I didn't mention raw at all. That was YOU. Thanks.
If I am to worry that what I feed my dogs is causing cancer, skin issues and a myriad of other issues I would want to be able to quote a reputable source not a friend of a friend I met on a forum. I mentioned Raw as you hugely advocate a raw diet and I wondered if the dogs fed raw do not get skin issues and cancer. It would be really helpful if you could provide a reputable source that would say that as you have often mentioned kibble and illnesses.

Humans and animals have had cancers, skin issues and a myriad of other health problems since time began.

I always approach a website cautiously - who are these people what is their agenda, anyone can design a webpage and spout whatever they like on it.

I know that I have questioned dogfoodanalysis on here before, who is he? what are his qualifications? what's his agenda? so this is not the first time I am raising these questions, I am also wary of dog food companies and in general any websites that say this is the only way to feed your dog, whether it be raw, cooked or whatever.

There are many people who feed their dogs what ever they like - expensive kibble, cheap kibble, scraps, cooked food, raw or anything in between and the dogs are in great shape and the people are happy with their choice. Some dogs, like humans, do get cancer/skin issues/luxating patella, etc etc etc, is it caused by genetics, environment, food, factor x (the unknown) ????

LOL - If we put as much effort into figuring what we eat as we do the dogs on this forum we'd be doing well :)

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
I totally believe in feeding my pups a healthy diet. Just as I would my children. But I do have to say that some of the food stuff is way overdone. I have to agree with Jane when it comes to putting as much energy into feeding ourselves as we do our pups. It's great to hear people's experiences, views, and knowledge, but you have to be careful how you go about it. You lose your audience when it starts sounding condescending. :wink:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts