Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How in the world do I apply this stuff?? I got the spray and there is no way my girls were gonna open their little mouths for me to spray this stuff in!

Hope will eat anything so she at least let me spray it in the sides of her mouth. I felt like it at least got some in her mouth. Ruby. NO WAY. Ran and hid. I even sprayed some on my hand and Hope licked and licked my hand. Ruby smelled it and went and hid again.

Suggestions for me? Thanks!

·
Registered
354 Posts
I use the Leba III dental spray (REALLY highly recommended, by the way) on Teddy. He hates it but is generally a good sport. I've found that I can pull his lip back and spray on the side of his molars sonetimes, OR I get him with his mouth barely open and spray as he's licking his tongue (he starts to drool a little in anticipation of the spray). He's pretty calm though, as I've been brushing his teeth since he was 11 weeks old. Just go slow. Maybe start by not even spraying, but praising heavily just for letting you open her mouth or hold the bottle up to her mouth. Even though it seems counterproductive, don't be afraid to follow the conditioning part or the actual spray up with a treat. Your goal is to make the experience as positive as possible.

·
Registered
894 Posts
lol I have the gel so I just lightly brush it or rub it onto my girls' teeth. But Kristi has a video of her spraying it on Bryco's teeth...

·
Registered
894 Posts
lol I know! From what she says, they weren't always like that, but I have been brushing my girls' teeth for awhile now, and when they see the toothbrush they run away from me or they go sit on DH thinking he will save them. :rolleyes: I also have to hold them down with my other forearm (the one that's holding their mouth) while I brush their teeth. lol. I can't imagine them every just laying there like that.. lol.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Karen, ask your pharmacist for a dropper,syringe, without the needle. Thats what I do with Sparkles dentle spray. I also use the Leba.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I think teeth brushing would be more effective. Maybe use the petzlife for a few weeks to loosen any tartar, etc. but then I think a good scrubbing with a childs toothbrush would be beneficial. Can't imagine that just the spray by itself would be adequate to keep build up from forming?? I would think there's got to be an abrasive action as well.

I use the petzlife gel on a toothbrush once a week (in addition to RMB) and Brody is almost 3 and no build up at all.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I use the Leba III twice daily and withhold food/water for 30 minutes before and after each spray (as the instructions say). I do use a children's soft-bristle toothbrush once daily in addition to the Leba, as the Leba really just softens the plaque into this soft, stinky yellow stuff that is easily scraped off. Teddy only has a little stubborn plaque on his back molars now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts