Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if anyone else has been in a similar situation and can advise...

I'm 30 years old, have two sons who are 11 months apart. They are 3 & 4.

My husband believes that because my pregnancies were back to back, my belly muscles never had time to recover and now are damaged. I went to a free consult with a plastic surgeon, and he said it's all fat and I need lipo.

I lost 22 lbs in a little less than six months. I am no longer considered overweight, I'm "ideal".
I look normal and fine everywhere but my belly. It's protruding like I am pregnant.

I have tried many different work out regimens, and Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred works best for me. No matter what I tone up, though, my belly never changes. Am I doomed to look pregnant forever? :( Any secrets to flattening myself back up, other than paying $2500 for someone to suck the fat out? *shudder*

Thanks in advance!

Annie

·
Registered
7,558 Posts
I would consult another Dr (not plastic surgeon) to find out if you still have muscle
separation from the pregnancies. I hope you get answers to your concern :)

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
Does your stomach protrude, but still firm? Or is loose skin that sags? Firm but protrudes can be flattened by vigourous workouts. It's basically just fat under the skin, over the muscle. Cardio will help you lower your body fat, and that will make your stomach flatter. If it is loose, and sags, lipo will not help. You would have to have a tummy tuck.

Also, something to consider is a colon cleanse. May sound crazy but you can easily carry 5 extra pounds or more just from fecal matter.

Please consult with your doctor before trying any of the above mentioned.

I have heard that the P90X workout is very effective.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Sadly you can't target where your body decides to lose weight/firm etc. so it's just a long and terrible process.

I'm not a mom but I started life overweight and it was a long uphill battle getting past all my body insecurities and getting to "ideal" and I too had fat deposits in peculiar places/ways.

I would speak to another doctor, I rarely if ever think the knife is the answer. I know it's frustrating but you'll thank yourself in the long run.

It's just calories in v. calories out, it boils down to 80% diet, 20% workout, 100% willpower.

·
Registered
5,542 Posts
In my own personal experience when I am trying to lose, atkins works best for me. And my belly is the first place to "deflate" so to speak after the initial 2 wks of induction. I really bloat up and gain when i am eating anything made with flour.
You could try cutting that from your diet for a couple weeks and see if it helps you.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Are you sure its fat and not just excess skin?

A lot women experience this, especially after losing a lot of weight very quickly. You can end up with a pouch of skin.

I'd see a doctor or a fitness instructor and see what they say it is and if theres anything you can do yourself.

Even if you did have lipo, the skin would still be there and then you'd have to pay out thousands more $ to have this removed and its a very serious surgery, as is lipo.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
I'm a mum similar age to you too!!

Did you have a c section or natural birth as with c sections they either cut or pull your muscles which makes a huge difference.

I would speak to your gp to check for any medical problems (cysts etc) get that cleared then think about your options dieting alone won't always flatten your stomach if it's too quick or on a fad diet (Atkins etc) then you're likely to gain it back!!

I agree with t about colonics I'm v slim (us 0-2) but had a colonic years back and lost 7 pounds which is rank all that poo how gross it also helps clear out any bad bacteria which causes bloating. You can take probiotics too they can help flatten your stomach as a lot is just wind.

Surgery wise I hate it when people go oh no no no seriously if you are that bothered by it and tried everything go for it but do your research, go for at least 3 consultations with different surgeons ask fortheir credentials their fail rates, complications, why they think u need the surgery (proper surgeons won't operate if they don't think it's suitable)

I had surgery last year had complications and was vvvv ill an lost a lot of blood but I wouldn't change it for the world it made a huge difference to my confidence

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
I was going to say as well, that seems like a good price for Lipo.. I doubt it has anything to do with having two kids close in age however.
I have 4 back to back and didn't notice a difference after the first.. some things just never seem the same. I've always been a fairly slim person however.

I'd say if you can afford the surgery go ahead and do it if it helps you feel better!

·
Registered
544 Posts
I don't know that it has to do with having the pregnancies so close but I can tell you that stomach fat is the hardest, and the last, to lose. Just tightening the muscles isn't gonna get rid of the pooch...in my life's experience. If you are at a good weight for your frame and in good health, I see no reason to rule out lipo. I'd want 2 or 3 more opinions/consults with extensive research on the doctor/facility prior to committing to the surgery but I'd certainly explore my options. If I hit the Lottery, I'd be having some, i can tell you that much. I've had three children, with one c-section. I've also had several other abdominal surgeries that cut those same muscles multiple times. I will always have a stomach pooch. I'm 5'4" at 120lbs. I weigh 5 pounds more than I did at 17 before I had my first child. I'm not fat, but I have a belly no matter how much exercising I do. I'd love to have some lipo to flatten the stomach, trim a little off the hips, and correct the area over the muscles that will never fully recover. Don't get me wrong, I love my woman's body and my glorious curves. I just want the only curves showing on the side view of my front to be my top. :coolwink:

·
Registered
76 Posts
Don't really have any advice....just wanted to say I feel your pain. I just turned 30 and I have an 8 year old and 5 year old twins (I carried them to 35 weeks and they were 5lbs 8 oz and 5 lbs 13 oz). I have always been a very thin person, plus I am only 5 feet tall....the twin pregnancy really messed with my body....most major is my stomach....it is so damaged, no muscle tone at all. It bothers me emotionally and physcially on a daily basis. I am about 105 lbs right now. Trying to get up the courage to go through a tummy tuck.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Just wanted to say that although some great advice has been given on surgery i.e having lots of consultations and speaking with past patients when possible etc., it is definitely not something to be taken lightly.
Not to kill the mood here but any surgery can be life threatening and I think other routes should be explored first.

Not to mention its incredibly expensive! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Just wanted to say that although some great advice has been given on surgery i.e having lots of consultations and speaking with past patients when possible etc., it is definitely not something to be taken lightly.
Not to kill the mood here but any surgery can be life threatening and I think other routes should be explored first.

Not to mention its incredibly expensive! :rolleyes:
I'm prob a good person to answer this!!! Some people need/want surgery to have their self esteem restored!!! It Can be life threatening yes, it can have complications yes, but so can walking down the street research is key and from personal experience I can tell you it does go horriy wrong it hurts and I was vvvvv ill after mine but I didn't jump into the idea the op hasn't either just mentioned it and sometimes there is no other way!!!

It hurts the bruising is rotten with lipo (I haven't had it btw) you wear a corset for 6 weeks 24/7 but the results can change your life! You just need a reliable surgeon and good aftercare.

Obviously some people don't have a low self esteem and/or are totally comfortable in their own skin sobwouldnt even think about it

One thing I will say is good companies check your mental well being as part of yor assessment

Like I said before I wouldn't change moe for the world I wish everyone wa in the uk you could watch a v informative show online but apparently you can't view in the us

·
Registered
852 Posts
I'm prob a good person to answer this!!! Some people need/want surgery to have their self esteem restored!!! It Can be life threatening yes, it can have complications yes, but so can walking down the street research is key and from personal experience I can tell you it does go horriy wrong it hurts and I was vvvvv ill after mine but I didn't jump into the idea the op hasn't either just mentioned it and sometimes there is no other way!!!

It hurts the bruising is rotten with lipo (I haven't had it btw) you wear a corset for 6 weeks 24/7 but the results can change your life! You just need a reliable surgeon and good aftercare.

Obviously some people don't have a low self esteem and/or are totally comfortable in their own skin sobwouldnt even think about it

One thing I will say is good companies check your mental well being as part of yor assessment

Like I said before I wouldn't change moe for the world I wish everyone wa in the uk you could watch a v informative show online but apparently you can't view in the us
I'm not saying that it can't have positive effects on not just your body, but also on your self-esteem, what I'm saying is far too many people take it lightly and there ARE other alternatives to lipo and a tummy tuck.

If it is a case of excess skin then yes, there's not much that can be done in the way of exercise but still, making a commitment to go under anaesthetic for cosmetic surgery is a big deal.

I dont even think this is an option for the OP right now (and sorry to go off topic!) but all I'm trying to say is that if it were an option, then a lot of serious thought needs to go in to such a HUGE decision.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I would bet you look great! At 30 years old you are in the prime of life... a little "fluff" is to be expected, especially after bearing 2 children. In 15 years you will look back at pictures and marvel about how fantastic you looked. I know it is of little comfort, but try to love every part of your body and accept yourself as you are. Surgery is a procedure that is expensive and risky. Don't mean to sound preachy, I am just a mom that deals with daughters just your age.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
London did you watch ugly face of beauty a few weeks back?? I wish the us people could watch it on 4od as it's fab... The girls in Marbella the one withdark hair, Sarah that's me!!!

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
What about hormones ?? If you are on hormonal birth control it can make "belly-fat" for some people. What about eliminating sugar and carbs, sometimes these make fluid stick around ? $2500 for lipo sounds risky in US that is very little to pay, you could wind up worse off. If I were you I would try other things.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have 3 kids. My 1st son I did the exercises given to me and pinged back to normal teeny size with just a couple of stretch marks on my hips. 2 years later...........MY SECOND SON WAS BORN :( my goodness he left his mark!! I now have loose stomach skin and stretch marks so bad I make a road map look tidy!! haha. As my son was poorly I did do the exercises but not as often as I should of and my stomach muscles seperated. I cannot have surgery on our NHS and cannot afford plastic surgery but would grab it if offered to me! After baby 3 I gave up, I'm normal weight now but covered in stretch marks from head to toe!!! (at least my chihuahua's love me)
Maybe your tummy's bloated from something you eat? bread does it to me?
At the end of the day no one's perfect so I wouldn't stress about it and make yourself ill, my friend was HUGE after her little girl, when her girl started school she dropped back to a size 6-8(uk), the doctor said it was probably stress!!

At least you don't have stretch marks!! ;)
xxx

1 - 17 of 17 Posts