Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks everyone for all the helpful advice you've given so far but I just don't think that this forum is for me. I don't have many friends and I think that there is a reason. I don't seem to trust nor like people very much. I really tried my best to likes this forum and most of you are really nice but I find that it suffers from what the rest of the internet suffers from...people who think that their opinion is golden. Most of the time I see and author posts asking for advice on what I want to do and get answers on why I shouldn't do so because I couldn't possibly do so as well as the people offering their opinions. One recent post I asked specific questions concerning if my dog could be expected to accept a rescue and instead got advice to reconsider my decision based on my other recent post of which none suggest I am lacking funds to care for them, am a bad animal caretaker, or that I otherwise am not capable of caring for another dog.

In fact I see a lot of "veteran" posts about how they spend every last cent on their animals and how they don't have enough money to do this or to do that for their dog but no one asks them to reconsider a darn thing. They can have 16 Chihuahuas if they want to and everyone will "ooo and ahhh". It's just rather annoying to ask a question and be met with opinions you never asked for, it's condescending and rather rude, no matter how much you dress it up.

I'm formally leaving this site because I don't seem to be getting as good a vibe as I hoped I would. I don't know...I guess the word is pretentious.

·
Registered
7,558 Posts
This is a great group of people. I'm sorry you don't share that opinion. But, if you
don't feel comfortable, moving on is probably your best option. Best wishes for you
and Cupcake :)

·
Registered
16,946 Posts
hmmm cupcake...you do know that forums are meant to voice ur opinions on things. theres no "real" rules here cept for the usual for no slandering and cursin and such. this forum has brought drama after drama of stuff but its still a great place to come back and learn about chihuahuas and other things as well. its also helped a buncha people through some tough times. like those times when there is something wrong with ur pup and u have no one else to go to for help cept a vet. hope ur not gonna leave just because of some small talk. ive had my share of drama in this forum and left for a bit but it wasnt permanent and i just recently came back.

hope u reconsider! :albino:

·
Registered
10,017 Posts
i hope you dont leave. i read your diet thread and havnt had a chance to post on it but i think its a great idea, and would love to join in on it when i'm ready. ( it going to be right after Christmas ). i think you really should give this forum more of a chance but whatever you decide will be the right answer for you :)

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Thanks everyone for all the helpful advice you've given so far but I just don't think that this forum is for me. I don't have many friends and I think that there is a reason. I don't seem to trust nor like people very much. I really tried my best to likes this forum and most of you are really nice but I find that it suffers from what the rest of the internet suffers from...people who think that their opinion is golden. Most of the time I see and author posts asking for advice on what I want to do and get answers on why I shouldn't do so because I couldn't possibly do so as well as the people offering their opinions. One recent post I asked specific questions concerning if my dog could be expected to accept a rescue and instead got advice to reconsider my decision based on my other recent post of which none suggest I am lacking funds to care for them, am a bad animal caretaker, or that I otherwise am not capable of caring for another dog.

In fact I see a lot of "veteran" posts about how they spend every last cent on their animals and how they don't have enough money to do this or to do that for their dog but no one asks them to reconsider a darn thing. They can have 16 Chihuahuas if they want to and everyone will "ooo and ahhh". It's just rather annoying to ask a question and be met with opinions you never asked for, it's condescending and rather rude, no matter how much you dress it up.

I'm formally leaving this site because I don't seem to be getting as good a vibe as I hoped I would. I don't know...I guess the word is pretentious.
Are you talking about my response to you on this thread? I was nothing but polite, respectful, caring and kind. I regret if you took it any other way. The last thing I am is pretentious.
http://www.chihuahua-people.com/chihuahua-rescue/65002-desperately-want-rescue-chihuahua-but-i-have-my-doubts.html

·
Premium Member
12,272 Posts
what a shame you are leaving,people on here have their ideas and points of view that's what a forum consists of ,there is some great and lovely people who will go out of their way to help.You take care

·
Registered
376 Posts
I'm on many different forums (not all pet related) and there is always going to be drama. Always. Heck, I've ran across tons of drama on cloth diaper forums (where ALL the mamas were using cloth diapers). I think that is just part of dealing with people. Especially over computers where people have less of a filter. Everyone has different opinions.
As far as this forum goes, it's one of the better ones. I'm still pretty new to CP, but haven't seen too much terrible drama. But you gotta do what you gotta do.

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
Amaris, please reconsider, no one meant any harm, you're a sweetheart and you'll be missed if you leave. :(
I think I understand how you feel, I'm a little similar, I take things to heart.
But at the end of the day opinions and advice are just that.
You take from them what you like and leave the rest.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I am finding that many people reach out to others on forums for the companionship they do not have in their "real" lives--especially at this time of the year. I think it's important that we try to understand and practice kindness. I do not know the specific facts here, but when I read a beautiful young woman stating "I don't have many friends and I think that there is a reason. I don't seem to trust nor like people very much," it's downright heartbreaking. To many sensitive, gentle souls, it's hard to dismiss opinions as just words, especially when they can't turn to a loving companion in real life for affirmation. Except--of course--as we all know--we can turn to our loving animal companions, for whom every day is Christmas as long as we are there.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Sorry that you have decided to leave... I do hope you'll reconsider. This forum has had it's share of drama, but I truly believe everyone's opinions stem from their deep care for dogs. Sometimes in expressing them, people do put aside formality and nobody ever "sugar coats" things here. Feelings can get hurt sometimes but I think that happens on any forum; most people come in order to learn; and to share that knowledge. Not only have I learned so much on here, but also made a lot of friends along the way and I consider that a bonus. When I first "arrived" I just wanted to share pictures and socialize with other chihuahua lovers. I ended up realizing and learning things I may have never otherwise given second thought to. Being open minded, and asking questions about others opinions (even the ones I didn't agree with) helped me to understand WHY people feel the way they do; and 99% of the time I do feel they just want what's best for the dog. Due to internet problems I've been gone for one day and already feel behind, so I don't know what issues you are referring to as this is one of the first threads I've read... that said from what I've "known" of you in the time you've been here I do genuinely like you, and hearing about your pup. If you stick around I think you'll find you have a lot in common with some, if not most, of the people here. My social skills "in real life" are nowhere near as refined as I can be online, lol; simply put I don't like stupid people and I have met my share of idiots so I do not go out of my way to be particularly nice or impress anyone. On here I found it very refreshing to meet true dog lovers who honestly know more than anyone I've met in person; hence making it much easier for me to connect with them. Around where I live, and I'm sure it's like most people; I know people who think Alpo and Ol' Roy are the top of the line for pet nutrition and think its perfectly acceptable leaving a dog outside in your backyard all day so long as it's fed and watered; and if it gets pregnant by a stray it's no big deal because they can just take the pups to a shelter if they can't make a buck selling them after putting a cardboard sign in their yard. Needless to say, I have a REALLY hard time relating to those kinds of folks!! On here though I have only met people who; though our opinions on some things may not be the same; have a remarkable amount of compassion for their pets and strive to learn what they can to take the best care of them possible. It is because of that, that I feel comfortable being here. As I said if you have made your decision already, nothing will change it... and it's possible you might not even log on again to read people's responses. But, I do hope you'll give it some time; maybe even just "lurk" for a while before coming back. I think the longer you're here the more you'll understand that nobody here is out to hurt anyone's feelings.

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Hope you stay, we don't always like or have agree what others have to say, so you have to just weed the messages out to your beliefs. Just a few people can make it hard but most people on here love and have big hearts.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts