Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I am new here but am a long time dog owner. I have been fostering labradors for years. Recently I was asked to take in a 7 yr chi spayed female. She is a great dog except I am having trouble introducing her to new people. We have a very active household which labs seem to love. There are kids and dogs and cats everywhere. Lucy is very good with our immediate family but is not so friendly with new people coming in and out of our house. I train with treats but she is not so interested in them (BIG switch from labs). She was someone's baby before coming to our house and I am trying to get used to being a dog. I find she is not the same as labs to train and I am looking for some tips specific to chis.

Thanks
Rene

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just to add - when new people come to our house I instruct them to ignore her but sometimes she charges them and barks regardless. She also can get a little protective over the kitchen when another dog or a cat walks by. Her previous owner did not feed her a good diet and she begs. I only feed dog food but she has a tendency of just picking at it and then walking away particularly if another person or animal walks by. I pick up her bowl after about 15 minutes. She does this both in the morning and evening feeds.

To reiterate this is not normal behavior for labs. They eat and don't stop until there is nothing left. And even most labs are simply not aggressive with people or kids. (I foster for labs4rescue.com). She is a good sweet dog but I just need help.

·
Premium Member
12,272 Posts
Hi I am new here but am a long time dog owner. I have been fostering labradors for years. Recently I was asked to take in a 7 yr chi spayed female. She is a great dog except I am having trouble introducing her to new people. We have a very active household which labs seem to love. There are kids and dogs and cats everywhere. Lucy is very good with our immediate family but is not so friendly with new people coming in and out of our house. I train with treats but she is not so interested in them (BIG switch from labs). She was someone's baby before coming to our house and I am trying to get used to being a dog. I find she is not the same as labs to train and I am looking for some tips specific to chis.

Thanks
Rene
Think she will need time to settle in,if she was an only dog before,must be so new to her,if you could find a treat that she really loves,when people come in to the house,get them to give her one,take her out a lot of places to meet lots of people.Maybe somebody else will have some more ideas.

·
Administrator
6,452 Posts
Zoey will bark at strangers that come in until she gets to meet them. They usually squat down and let her sniff them and give her a pet then she is fine and their best friend, sometimes embarrassing as she wants to sit in their lap.

·
Registered
677 Posts
As you may have already guessed it, Chihuahuas are NOT Labs! It would be typical to expect a different behavior and temperament from a completely different breed :)

She is also an older Chi, who could probably be very well set in her ways. I'm not sure what you could do, but my initial thought would be that maybe she should be in a slower foster home where she can get the one on one attention and training she needs.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
It does sound like quite typical Chi behaviour to me! My lot always charge at strangers who come into the house barking like maniacs. If the person sits down and lets them have a good sniff they usually find themselves being licked to death soon after!:D
Unlike Labs Chi's are very bossy, and can be nervy. You just have to imagine how you would feel if you were that small with people/dogs rushing by you all the time.
They do respond well to fuss and cuddles as a training aid Ive found though.:D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As you may have already guessed it, Chihuahuas are NOT Labs! It would be typical to expect a different behavior and temperament from a completely different breed :)

She is also an older Chi, who could probably be very well set in her ways. I'm not sure what you could do, but my initial thought would be that maybe she should be in a slower foster home where she can get the one on one attention and training she needs.

Thats the problem - she has been available for a long time but no one has been interested in her (although I think she's not so old for a small dog) and her personality doesn't lend itself to to many.

I will try to take it slow with her. She has enjoyed going for walks in the woods and she has been learning to eat dog food and to sit.

I have learned alot on these forums.

·
Registered
544 Posts
What you are seeing is mostly typical Chi behaviors. They are totally different than Labs, as you've discovered. They are clannish and tend not to like other breeds, especially the big ones. The fact that she's getting along with all the other animals in your house is a huge plus for you. Chis don't always jump to meet strangers. If the dog was not properly socialized as a puppy and was a stay at home body, then meeting new people will not ever be a fun thing for her. As you've discovered, she'll be fine with them once she gets to know them, but it will take time. Don't expect her to be friendly right away. If she wants to ignore the guests, that is totally acceptable. What's not acceptable is growling, barking, or biting. Those issues need correction immediately. She doesn't have to learn to love everyone, but she does have to learn to accept them. A squirt bottle and/or a shaker can works well with the breed. Techniques for use can be found online if you are unfamiliar with them. Or PM me for help. Same holds true for guarding territory. As for the food, continue to do what you are doing. Put the kibble down for a little longer, about 20 minutes, then take it up. Offer twice a day and she will get it eventually.

Good luck with her. I won't bother to tell you that by the time you've taught her she's a dog, she'll be adopted by a loving family who will spoil her as she's used to. :) It's a Chi thing. We don't tell them they are dogs. vbg

1 - 8 of 8 Posts