Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, so I need some advice.

A couple days ago I came across someone "getting rid of" their pregnant chihuahua due to living situations. I'm not here to make these people sound bad, so i'll get to the question and point.

I did not want the chihuahua ending up in a shelter or the wrong hands, which is why I took her in. The man stated she is 26 days in.

Now before anyone gets startled, I've had 3 litters of puppies in my home all of which I raised(Bottle fed some) & found homes for. So I know what to expect and how to handle it, except that the 3 litters I had were Medium-Large dogs.

This chihuahua is 8lbs & I've researched all about chihuahuas and pregnancys, however I'd like to hear first hand what to expect & what to watch out for.

She is just about 4 weeks along, she hasn't eaten much the first day.. basically refused any type of dog food, puppy food, anything.
I know dogs won't starve themselves and they will eventually eat, however I don't think thats smart to do with a dog with babies.

I ended up cooking up some ground beef(Well done) and put in wet puppy food. (I normally don't give puppy food or Nutri-cal until about week 5 or 6) But she ate very little and I wanted to give her some energy & calories. She almost didn't eat the ground beef because it HAD the puppy food in it.

I have grain-free dry food for her, however, again, refuses it.

Prior to the ground beef I tried cooking an egg for her. Shockingly refused. She's either very picky or was fed table scraps in her previous home.

She's healthy looking, but she also has tapeworms. I saw it in her stool.
I'm making an appointment as soon as I have an open day this week to take her to the vet.

Anyhow, please, any information would be highly appreciated. I promise you this little girl is in good hands. I would just like to know if I should know something more.
Thank you for your time & I look forward to hearing your responses.

·
Premium Member
12,272 Posts
So glad she's found a home with you.There are lots of people on here who know all about pregnancy and puppies i'm sure they will help you

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Welcome and if only there were many more like you in the world :daisy:

Can't help with your questions sorry - I don't do blood & guts, mine are all "fixed" but there's lots here who are in the know & will be along to help.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Thanks so much for taking this mama in. Tapeworms will be taken care of soon by the vet. I wonder if they can worm her while she's pregnant.? Are there any fleas? As for the food, you just have to wait her out, I guess. I have given my little chi a solution of pedialyte and honey mixed together. I use a syringe to give it to her in her cheek. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Thank you so much for rescuing her. Try free feeding her. Like you said, she will not starve herself. Give the grain-free and just wait her out. That's the way I got rid of my picky eaters. With you offering so many things, she may be holding out to try to get something better. A day or so of not eating much will not harm the puppies, they will draw on the mom's reserves. My last pregnant rescue came and refused to eat. (Actually, we didn't realize she was pregnant until a few weeks later, the people reliquishing her didn't tell us) She was used to people food. I free feed and if she didn't want it, tough. She nows eats like a pro. At 8 pounds, your girl should have no problem whelping, but to be sure, she should have an exam and possibly an xray to see how big the pups are. Do you know who the dad is? Is he a chi, too? If he is much bigger, she may need a c section. Best of luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey everyone! Thank you for all the wonderful advice. I took her to the vet yesterday & as svdreamer said, to wait it out until she eats. I did & I Just saw her a few minutes ago eating the food for the first time! I'm so relieved! I always free feed my dogs anyways. I feel when done from a puppy, highly reduces the risk of food aggression or obesity. They learn to only eat when their hungry. Alls my dogs eat from the same bowl that is always filled and at a perfect lean weight. Anyhow thats besides the point.

The vet stated she is definitely pregnant. She had fleas on her, which is remarkable because I didn't spot one flea on her the couple days I've had her. I even gave her a bath! But now she is flea free.

She also does for a fact have tape worms. The vet and I feel best not to treat it until the puppies are born since it won't effect the pups. I will be worming her and the pups when they are 2 weeks old anyways.

I got a blood test done on her, I'm awaiting the results for that.

Otherwise she's in good health.
Around week 6 or 7 I will be going back for xrays.

Also after the vet, I took her to meet her new family that she will be going to once the puppies are weaned. She loves them and they love her!
Then I made a few more stops for the familys that are adopting her puppies to meet her. They are all very excited, and are looking forward to December when they will be ready. They are wonderful homes, and the best part about it is, the people taking in Momma live right next door to my family, then a couple houses down a family lost their Pug after 13 years & were already planning on getting a puppy in December. Once they heard about her and her pups, they are hoping to take 2 siblings. :) & There is also one more wonderful home a street down that we also know that would like to take one. The whole little family (Depending on how many there are, we will find out in a couple weeks!) are going to live right near eachother. How great is that?

Here is a picture of her:

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
You are doing SUCH a good job with her. She is beautiful. Now all we have to do is worry about a healthy natural delivery for her and her babes!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just got her blood work results,everything looks great & she's heartworm free :) I couldnt be more happy about that.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
That's wonderful news. She is so pretty. Best of luck with her, you really did a great thing taking her on.

·
Registered
725 Posts
I'm so glad you shave taken her in and found good homes for her and her babies. I do hope things continue to go well and she has a natural birth and all the bays are healthy. She sure is a pretty dog do you know how old she is.

·
Premium Member
9,990 Posts
Woohoo It sounds like you are doing an amazing thing and thank you for taking her in. I only have one request can you post puppy photos please. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey guys, I'm a bit concerned. (Shes doing wonderful by the way)
However, Today marks week 5, her nipples are sagging a bit as if they are preparing to be filled with milk & her appetite has increased, but her stomach isn't swelling in the slightest. When the vet examined her around 3 1/2 weeks, she had said that she is most likely pregnant by feeling around her pelvis area & stomach.

Now again, I've had litters here before, but never with a dog of this size. Is it normal not to show this far along? At week 7 I plan to take her in for xrays.

I'm a little concerned that she may not be pregnant? The man said she was & he did have a male.
Either way, no puppies would be a better solution! Less stress on her part & she'd be able to get a head start on her new home.

I just need to make sure. Another couple weeks before I find out 100%.

Any advice/tips on if this is normal for her belly not to swell at 5 weeks?

Thank you in advanced ! :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts