Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we are *thinking* about possibly fostering chihuahuas but wanted to see if anyone with experience in fostering could help us out.

I have been giving some serious thought to fostering but I've never done it before and want to know what are all the ins and outs involved in fostering before I take this consideration any further and contact my local shelter(s) and/or rescue. When you foster a dog, what is the foster family responsible for aside from giving the foster pet a home to stay at, love, exercise and attention? Would we responsible for paying for food and veterinary care as well? Do we need to also provide additional accessories like leads, crates, harness (for walking), bowls, treats, etc?

I'd appreciate any and all help and advice to help us make a decision before talking to a shelter or rescue. Thanks in advance! :)

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
when we fostered kittens they did pay for all the medical expenses but we had to buy all the milk replacement bottles food bowls etc etc. at a certain point when the kittens were ill they refused to pay for any more bills and wanted them euthanized we paid the bills to keep them alive one died and we adopted the other we still had to pay the adoption fee!

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
That's wonderful that you are considering it, Val. :) The foster is generally responsible for food, but usually the rescue will pay for vet bills and what not. I have heard of fosters getting reimbursed for dog food, but I think in more cases the foster is responsible. Most fosters also buy things for the dog like leads, bowls, etc. Some things may be supplied, but generally it falls to the foster. It really is volunteer work through and through with a certain amount of expense being taken on, for sure. Good luck and keep us posted. :)

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
I think it is different at different rescues. Usually you provide the home, exercise, food and other needs and the rescue supplies the medical costs. Also they may want you to take the Chi to do home visits or meet them for Meet & Greets and such.

·
Registered
809 Posts
The rescue I am on the board of directors for covers all vet care and gives a certain amount of food each year (we get 2 large donations from Purina each year so we hand it out based on the number of foster dogs that each family has, money concerns, etc) but if a family wants to feed a different food they have to supply that. We also have collars, leashes, bowls and crates that we can lend to foster homes but most fosters find that buying a collar, leash, etc is part of the fun and most dog homes have an extra crate or two lying around (I have 4 dogs and 9 crates... sigh). I love to get my foster pups new collars and such and send them to their forever homes with them.

The foster home is responsible for bringing their dog to our meet and greets at a local pet supply store, for talking to adopters about the dog, for doing home visits and completing the adoption paperwork. If they need help with home visits and such we are happy to help out. We ask that the foster family treat the dog as part of the family and do as much potty training, basic obedience and manners training as possible. We also ask that they keep us up to date with the progress of the dog and if there is a problem (aggression or some such) to be honest so we work on the appropriate response.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
I think it really depends on who you're fostering for. When my mom and I fostered we were covered for medical bills up to a certain amount (something reasonable) based on how many we had or were getting, we got a "startup kit" depending on how the shelter was doing at the time financially and that usually consisted of a bit of food, and a donated item - usually a lead or a bowl. Other than that it was generally our responsibility for anything extra.

I think a big factor is the shelter and how it's doing economically, if they're doing well they generally extend more, if not they rely on the foster to do most of the financial misc. but overall it's very rewarding. We fostered mainly kittens and screened the potential adopters credentials by the shelters standards before referring them to the actual adopting portion.

I think it's very rewarding and a great thing you're doing as so many of our little ones need help, but it largely depends on who you're fostering for. Where my mom lives there are 2 shelters that are not affiliated and both were very different as far as the protocol, what you're provided, expected etc.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Not sure about where you live, but where I live, they pay for everything from food to medication to vet care flea & worm treatment ETC, all you have to do is provide shelter and love :) It is so much hard work but worth it in the end, if you have the time and space for it then I say do it :)

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys, that helps a lot and gives us more to think about. This isn't something we're going to rush into, we would have to wait a few months and see if fostering is something we can commit to at that time and talk to the local shelters and rescues about what all is required by each individual place. It's good to have some starting info though. Thanks for all the advice and any more would be appreciated too. :)

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
When we Fostered.. we had to pay for the Vet bills but they reimbursed us. and the Chihuahua had to be Surrendered from the owner with all of his belongings ( dishes bed etc ) then once that Foster Moved on we gave all of the supplies to the rescues and they used it for other chi's its a great Process and I would Recommend it to anyone I can't wait to Foster again :)

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
This thread is of interest to me...My husband and I have been considering volunteering as fosters, too. The only thing holding us back at this point is knowing that I would have great difficulty letting them go. I'm not sure I could stand it, no matter how perfect the permanent home might be.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts