Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My girlfriend and I were taking a walk late last night when we saw a little deer chihuahua running on some steps leading up to a house. We didn't think much of it at first and assumed the owner just let him out to pee or something so we kept walking. We passed a girl on the sidewalk and the dog ran up to her as well. It started following her and us, running back and forth between us. We talked with the girl a bit and wondered whose dog it was, and started knocking on doors, asking if anyone knew who it belonged to, but no one did. We tried knocking on the door/ringing the bell of the house we found him in front of FOUR TIMES, and no one answered when there were people clearly sitting in the living room as we could see and hear the TV, and there were lights on upstairs. The last time we knocked, I heard a voice say "don't answer the door". I have a feeling they tossed their dog out on the street and didn't want him anymore. I honestly can't see how anyone would do this.

Anyway, we took him home because it was nearly midnight at this point. He followed us and I carried him the rest of the way. He is extremely well trained and very quiet and obedient. However, when we got home and could see him in the light, I realized that he had a cut on the top of his nose in almost a perfect straight line. It looked old as it was dry and scabbed over. I don't think it's infected and it doesn't seem to hurt him. In addition to that, he stinks like a dead otter and looks like he hasn't had his nails trimmed in years.

Now, on to the real problems. He wont do anything. He wont eat, he wont drink (though he licked some water off my hand last night) and he wont go to the bathroom. He obviously has to as he's been shaking this morning and it's been about 10 hours since we found him and he hasn't gone since. I took him out a few times as well as put newspaper down inside but he wont go near it, and when we're outside he just sits on the grass and looks around. I know he has to pee because in the kitchen at one point, he raised his hind leg for a few seconds and then put it down and put his ears back. My girlfriend is at the store right now getting him a couple different kinds of food and some treats, but so far he hasn't eaten anything, and any time I try to give him water (I tried in a variety of bowls) he turns his head completely around and looks away from it until I take it away. I honestly don't know what to do. I might take him to the humane society today to have him scanned but I have a fear that if I drop him off, his owners wont come and claim him, and we have a serious stray pet issue this city and I believe they only wait 3 days until they euthanize. In addition to that, the city humane society here has had scandals all over the news in the last month or so about animal cruelty, so I would just as soon keep him myself as I know we would take much better care of him than they would.

Anyway, long story short, any idea on why he wont eat or drink or go to the bathroom, or any ideas on how to get him to do these things? He seems pretty content now, he slept between us all night and he's curled up on a nice new blanky under my computer desk. Any input would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Poor dog but lucky that you found him, he could be trauatised hence the not eatign or drinking or he may have a throat infection that hurts when he swallows, sme for peeing, as he tried to go but couldn't he again could have an infection, Its worth having him checked over as it is very unusal for a dog not to eat, drink toilet in 24hrs..

It is a real shame that the shelter will put a dog to sleep after 3 days as this is not really enough time to generate interest to the public but if they are constantly over run with strays it must make things difficult for them.

He sounds like a lovely dog, have you any pics of him yet? Would love to see him

·
Registered
813 Posts
Can you take him to be scanned to see if he has a chip?

Also flyer the area, put up posters in your area and in the local dog shelters. At the very least please let them know you have him in case his owners come looking. it's easy to presume his owners have been neglectful but tiny dogs can sometimes slip out when no one is looking and he could be far from home.

Please do whatever you can to find his owners, they may be desperately unhappy and looking for him. Most animals i know of are chipped, it requires a simple scan to the neck to find out the owners then.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
**Little Update

My girlfriend got back from the store, and after some cautious sniffing and licking, he wolfed down a whole piece of Beggin Strips in a matter of seconds, the immediately ran to his water bowl and started drinking. He also ate half a pack of wet food, so I know it's not his throat or anything. I think he's just scared but after that he calmed down significantly. He doesn't even get upset when one of us leaves the room, nor does he feel the need to follow us every time we do.

He still wont go to the bathroom though. I think he's just too scared to. I need to find a way to break the psychological barrier like with the food. He also has a couple broken claws. Even if he wasn't tossed out, it's clear his owners didn't take very good care of him. I think he may have been beaten or hit for peeing on something and that's why he's afraid to do it. Who knows.

Also, yes we will do whatever we can to find his owners. We always walk in the area we found him in. There's a big dog park there and lots of people so we will take him there and look for posters/post some of our own and maybe someone will recognize him, and get him scanned for a chip as well. But if my suspicions are correct, the people in that house just tossed him out on the street, which is why they refused to answer the door. Also, we were in the area for a while and didn't see him walking down the sidewalk or anything (which he did very well, he never went on the street) and he was found on the steps in front of their house. I can't think of any reason he would be standing in front of that particular house if it wasn't his, considering he walked up and down sidewalks for a couple blocks without so much as even stopping in front of any other houses. I really hope those people didn't toss him out, he's a really good dog.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
When I get my animals, sometimes it takes a day for them to settle down enough to do their business and to eat. Try some chicken, most of mine would eat that first, then go on to the dry. No dog will willing starve itself. Sound like he is scared, must be scary to be put out like that and be hurt. I am glad you found him and brought home. I wish you the best of luck with him.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Whether he is lost or was thrown out ..POOR wee guy, wishing you and him all the best :).

I hope he starts to eat well, just be patient he's been through a lot. Either way I'm so glad he's found people who will try to find his owners (if they are good people) or help find him another home/look after him etc. He's lucky you found him :)

The idea of mistreating/throwing an animal out is alien beyong belief to me :(

·
Premium Member
12,272 Posts
Oh you are so kind and doing all you can for him,seems he's petrified who knows how long he's been out there.Good luck ,hope you keep him

·
Registered
10,596 Posts
Poor wee boy!!
It does sound like he is just very scared.
Hope you can keep him too if he has nobody else that loves him.
Let us know what happens anyway.
Good on you for helping him. x

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
You don't know what his diet consisted of before. watch out though, he may get diarrhea from a new diet. Just a heads up. Glad he's eating for you though. SVDREAMER is right. It will take a few days for him to settle in if you don't find his owners. If I were you, I'd visit the vet just to be sure he is okay.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Never thought about "stimulating the area", sounds a little odd to me...I'll let my girlfriend handle that one.

Anyway, here's a picture of the little guy. Best picture I could get unfortunately, he seems to be very camera shy.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
**Little Update

My girlfriend got back from the store, and after some cautious sniffing and licking, he wolfed down a whole piece of Beggin Strips in a matter of seconds, the immediately ran to his water bowl and started drinking. He also ate half a pack of wet food, so I know it's not his throat or anything. I think he's just scared but after that he calmed down significantly. He doesn't even get upset when one of us leaves the room, nor does he feel the need to follow us every time we do.

He still wont go to the bathroom though. I think he's just too scared to. I need to find a way to break the psychological barrier like with the food. He also has a couple broken claws. Even if he wasn't tossed out, it's clear his owners didn't take very good care of him. I think he may have been beaten or hit for peeing on something and that's why he's afraid to do it. Who knows.

Also, yes we will do whatever we can to find his owners. We always walk in the area we found him in. There's a big dog park there and lots of people so we will take him there and look for posters/post some of our own and maybe someone will recognize him, and get him scanned for a chip as well. But if my suspicions are correct, the people in that house just tossed him out on the street, which is why they refused to answer the door. Also, we were in the area for a while and didn't see him walking down the sidewalk or anything (which he did very well, he never went on the street) and he was found on the steps in front of their house. I can't think of any reason he would be standing in front of that particular house if it wasn't his, considering he walked up and down sidewalks for a couple blocks without so much as even stopping in front of any other houses. I really hope those people didn't toss him out, he's a really good dog.
awww the poor little soul. He's been tempted by the food so that's good. Maybe he's used to a beating if he pee's inside and is afraid and unsure. Just keep popping him outside. If he does accidentaly go inside don't shout at him.

It's so nice you've taken the little guy in.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Aww, poor little guy. Do you have any pics of him. It is wonderful that you took him in.
I hope everything works out and he can stay with you and your wife.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Good news, got him a leash and harness and took him for a bit of a walk and he did both of his dirty businesses, and when he got home he was much more relaxed, had some more water and stopped shaking completely. Even had a little nap on the couch. I think he's going to be fine now. We're going to take him out and do the poster thing tonight, but I'm kind of hoping I get to keep him now, he's so well behaved but timid, I think because of strict discipline, but he's starting to mellow out which is good.

Also, I noticed a few defects. First, when he opens his mouth, his nose is crooked to the right. Also, he has an extra half toe on his front left paw. Just adds to his coolness!

I posted a picture earlier but since I'm new, there's a posting delay so I'm not sure when/if it will post.

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
Aw poor sweetheart. :( That's wonderful that you've taken him in and are caring for him. I hope you can find his owners. I'm glad he's in good hands. :)

·
Registered
677 Posts
If you post posters in your area - DO NOT put his picture on them or describe what he looks like!

It will be hard to differentiate who the real owners, if any, are if you have multiple replies!
Be very vague, and let the people describe their missing dog to you, down to a T!

He's a very handsome boy, I hope you get to keep him and provide a loving forever home for him!

Welcome to the forum :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts