Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Dixie loves it. I also keep Pro Plan dry weight management on the side for her.
With this recipe, instead of chicken legs I used 1lb ground turkey and 1/2lb ground chuck. This makes more than 10 1/2c servings. I freeze it.

Original Recipe Yield 10 1/2 cup servings

Ingredients

2 chicken leg quarters
1 cup brown rice
1 pound ground beef
2/3 cup rolled oats
1 (10 ounce) package chopped frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
2 cups frozen chopped broccoli, thawed
1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans - rinsed, drained and mashed
2 carrots, shredded
1 clove garlic, minced (optional)
1 cup cottage cheese
1/2 cup olive oil

Directions

Place the chicken leg quarters in a large pot, and fill with enough water to cover by 1 inch. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer 40 minutes. Remove the legs and allow to cool. Strain and return the cooking liquid to the pot. Once the legs have cooled. remove and discard the skin and bones; chop the meat, and set aside.
Stir the brown rice into the reserved chicken broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until the rice is tender, 45 to 50 minutes. Drain off any excess liquid, and add the rice to the bowl with the chicken.
Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat, and add the ground beef. Cook and stir until the beef is crumbly and no longer pink, about 7 minutes. Pour off any excess grease, and place the beef into the bowl. Stir in the oats, spinach, broccoli, kidney beans, carrots, garlic, cottage cheese, and olive oil. Store the dog food in resealable containers in the freezer. Thaw the daily portions overnight in the refrigerator.

Footnotes

Cook's Note:
Dogs love the flavor of garlic, but too much will make them anemic. Use it sparingly or not at all.
For variety, try adding one of the following:
1/2 cup blueberries
1/2 cup pumpkin in place of the carrots
cooked, cracked wheat in place of either the rice or oats
black beans or chickpeas, mashed, or lentils in place of the red kidney beans
steamed and finely chopped celery or cauliflower
steamed peas
shredded cheese
mild, cooked fish
scrambled eggs
fish oil in place of olive oil

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
This would be fine as an intermittent meal. However, it does NOT contain calcium! You can add a multi vitamin or use calcium carbonate or crushed eggshells or raw bones to make up the difference. This is NOT a nutritionally balanced complete recipe however.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I give Dixie a multi vitamin every day and she has her Pro Plan also. She only gets 1/2 cup of this recipe once a day.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just looked up how much calcium is in broccoli and spinach and I didn't know these veges do contain calcium. It says most green veges do. Good to know because Dixie loves it when I make salads. Also adding the cottage cheese in this recipe helps with the calcium as well.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Do you put the veggies in a blender first and make them into a paste/slurry? If so, then dogs can absorb some of the vitamins. If veggies are given intact, their systems will not absorb the benefits. They just pass through as fiber/bulk.

If you are feeding this recipe as a topper to kibble, that's fine. Kibble contains 150% of the calcium needed by a dog.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I mash the spinach to get the juice out and I chopped the broccoli, but I will blend it next time. I can mix in alittle of her can food also since I have several cans left. She loves her dry food.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts