Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night I found a chi boy in the standing in the road in front of my house. I brought him in and immediately gave him a bath as he was filthy and covered in fleas. Putting him down after the bath, I noticed his left back leg is crossing over in front of his right back leg and he tries not to put weight on it. He will let me manipulate the leg and does not seem to have any pain in it which makes me wonder, as I am not very familiar with the breed, are chis really stoic or is it an injury that is old and his former owners just never took care of it? He has no other signs of injury, he ate some chicken eagerly and slept by my feet all night on a rug with a blanket over him quite nicely.

Here's a picture of him

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
hi & welcome
its good of you that you took him in - well done
hes soo cute!
he could have a slipped knee cap - it is common in small dogs like chihuahuas, you should get him checked out by a vet

·
Premium Member
12,272 Posts
Oh bless him ,he knew what house to go to.Welcome to Chi.P glad he's in good hands and getting some love and care

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Oh! What a sweetie! What are you going to do with him? Do you intend to keep him if you can't find his owners? It sounds like he's been on the run for a while.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Probably a knee problem.

He does look well fed though. Perhaps he just escaped from a yard? (Although covered in fleas and dirty doesn't sound good).

Have you taken him to the vet? Scanned for a microchip? Tried to find his owners?

I understand feeling sorry for a dog and wanting to help it out, but you can't keep a dog you find without trying diligently to find the owner and doing things in the right way. Just because you find a dog doesn't mean you get to keep it.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Definitely get him to a vet, aside from the leg problem fleas can bring their own problems, including anemia and internal parasites. The leg could be an old injury, a luxating patella, numerous things. At the vets have him scanned and leave your information incase someone comes looking for him.
If you put up posts of having found a dog put minimal information, and no picture of him. Make people describe him in detail to you. Just say small dog found, or something like that. What a cutie!

·
Registered
4,837 Posts
Kudos to you for bringing him in and caring for him. I do think a vet check is
necessary. Let us know how things work out.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, I was reading up on chis, it may be a knee problem. And since I found him late last night, I haven't been able to really start looking for his owners or take him to a vet yet. I did check the lost dogs column in our local paper, but that is as far as I got.

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
He is so adorable.. lovely coloring. He reminds me of a chi/corgi that a friend once had with those short little legs and stocky little body. Please keep us updated on the little guy.
Deb

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
I was going to say a Chi/Corgi or a Chi/Daschund...due to those short legs but what a cuite :)

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Finally got him to eat. He was not interested in kibble so I poured a little low sodium chicken broth over it and a touch of torn up chicken to get him started and he ate about a half a cup. He has really perked up today, actually walking around a bit and taking an interest in his surrounding. Right now he is lying in my lap. Such a cuddle bug. He loves giving kisses. He met my other dogs and 5 of my cats came up to say hello and he was fine with them all. I put an ad in the paper and will take him in to the vet first thing Monday morning. Judging by his long body, I would say probably a doxie mix.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Welcome to the forum firstly :) Glad you found him and are taking care of him :) A go over by a vet is a good idea if he is showing signs of an injury. Keep us posted ;-)

AGAIN!? Why are Chi's not standing in line in front of MY house!!???? lol Everyone is finding a chi but ME! lol

·
Registered
644 Posts
thank you so much for taking him in. :)
i'd give the vet a call as soon as you are able, just to make sure nothing is really wrong with him.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
his adorable!! how can someone loose their dog or let it run off? my dogs are never out my sight!!
well done to you for taking him in :) your very kind! x

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
Hello, glad youve taken him in are you planning to make aware to the authorities that you've found him or are you going to make a couple of posters and hope his family dont show up so you can keep him lol. Bless yes a slipped-knee is kinda common in this breed i would try take him to the vets as quickly as you can! Well done :)

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
You are very sweet to take him in. hope it all works out. Maybe because you have so many animals someone "dumped" him to you on purpose..thinking that you might take him in..

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
lol As much as I would love to keep this little guy, I have an ad on the internet and my local paper. I will have him scanned at the vet tomorrow and leave my info. My son has already canvased the neigborhood to no avail. If all efforts fail, I probably will keep the little tyke, he is a sweet dog. All my dogs are strays except my peke. I got her and her sister from a puppy mill rescue, 37 pekes in a single wide mobile home. Sadly, her sister died in December from a heart murmur and congested heart failure. Even though she was on meds, they finally stopped working.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts