Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This afternoon I found a decent size lump on Faith's abdomen just inside her left rear leg. My mother in law has a chihuahua who has a lump in the exact same place which is a tumor that she is preparing to schedule surgery for. Now that has me freaking out over this lump I just found on Faith. :(

I'm new in my area (recently moved to a new city and state) and the two local vets I've checked out so far are AWFUL and I don't want to take Faith to either of them which has me even more stressed out as I'll need to find someone further away that I don't know anything about and whether or not they are any good. :(

I feel just horrible right now.

Here's a pic of the lump. In case you can't tell it's located just above my index finger...

I feel so bad for Faith, it's just been one thing after another with her. :(

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Awe so sorry I hope it nothing. I will pray for Faith. It is really bad with Vets around me too. They are awful, I found one finally I think will work out well but time will tell she open her office about 6 months ago. I have had 4 different vets bring harm that lead to death to my baby's

·
Registered
126 Posts
Hey honey, it could just be a small hernia, my grandparents westie has that and it causes him no harm or pain. Definitely find yourself a good vet though to ease your worry, do you have any coworkers or neighbours with pets whose opinions you can trust in regards to the vet they go to? Or maybe you can find some online reviews?

·
Registered
4,837 Posts
Try not to think the worst, it might be a hernia or a small fat deposit....if it is something more serious (let's hope not) early detection and treatment is the key...I know that from what we went through with Hannah last year. Good Luck, please keep us posted and we will all be praying for you and Faith.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys!

do you have any coworkers or neighbours with pets whose opinions you can trust in regards to the vet they go to? Or maybe you can find some online reviews?
I don't work and I live in a new construction neighborhood so all of us are new to the area unfortunately. I have talked to my neighbors that have taken their dogs to local vets and theirs sound awful as well so I'm definitely not going to the ones they've been to either, I'll just save myself the hassle right off the bat.

I really really hope it's nothing serious but I have to at least find out what it is. We thought it could also possibly be a hernia or cyst or fatty build up or something else. Won't know for sure without seeing a vet of course. With the Westie's hernia, did that have to be removed?

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
I just moved to a new area and I used my co-workers and reviews to find one, usually you just have to google it and you can find a good vet based on reviews. In canada there is a website for this i'm sure there is one for the states so you can finally find a good one.

Hoping it's nothing for your baby I understand how worried you must be

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
I'm sorry, Val, I know how worried you must be. Hopefully you can find a vet you like and trust and get it looked at asap. I do think it's very possible it's a cyst or a fatty deposit. Please keep us posted, hun. I'll be keeping you and Faith in my thoughts. xx

·
Registered
644 Posts
i really hope the lump turns out to be something harmless or easily treated and good luck finding a suitable vet.

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
Pixie has a lump in the exact same place. My vet seems to think it's a swollen mamory gland. Maybe it could be something like that?

Pixie has just had surgery for Pyometra mind you.

Hope it's nothing serious Hun, my vet said to me that 'usually' lumps that come up quickly usually are not as sinister as the ones that are slow growing.

Keep us posted x

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the positive thoughts and well wishes. I strongly hope it's just a fatty deposit. My MIL says that the lump that is a mammary tumor on her chi is firm. Faith's lump feels fairly soft so I'm hoping that's a good sign.

I've tried looking up reviews for other vets in my area but can't find any that are actually helpful. I have a couple vets in mind that I might try calling tomorrow to talk to them and get a feel for them before making an appt.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
I'll sure be praying that you find a vet with whom you feel comfortable. I swear, I am starting to wonder if I am more concerned about things with my new babies than I might have been with my human kids!
Will be thinking about you!

·
Registered
322 Posts
I think if its 'spongy' and soft and you can move it around it will most likely be a hernia or fatty lump....if its hard and rigid then maybe a tumour. you must be frantic you poor thing...I know i would be too...keep us updated and i'll have everything crossed for you! x

·
Registered
126 Posts
Thanks guys!

I don't work and I live in a new construction neighborhood so all of us are new to the area unfortunately. I have talked to my neighbors that have taken their dogs to local vets and theirs sound awful as well so I'm definitely not going to the ones they've been to either, I'll just save myself the hassle right off the bat.

I really really hope it's nothing serious but I have to at least find out what it is. We thought it could also possibly be a hernia or cyst or fatty build up or something else. Won't know for sure without seeing a vet of course. With the Westie's hernia, did that have to be removed?
No, he's 6 and has lived with it his whole life, no pain and no trouble. My grandpa is a doctor (human kind) and he says it's really nothing to be concerned about. So if that's what it is, you can explore options with your vet - some like to do surgery, I think.

Sending you positive thoughts and hope that you find a vet you are comfortable with!!!

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
Thanks for all the positive thoughts and well wishes. I strongly hope it's just a fatty deposit. My MIL says that the lump that is a mammary tumor on her chi is firm. Faith's lump feels fairly soft so I'm hoping that's a good sign.
I do think that is a good sign, yes. Tumors are usually hard and not as easy to move. Good luck, Val. Keep us posted. xx

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Just about to ask you what it felt like. My daughter Vet tech'd for years and that was always her first question. Of course there are always exceptions, but a softer feeling lump tended to be something more innocuous, like a lipoma rather than anything cancerous or malignant. But even lipomas, if left to grow too large, can become a problem, so it'd be a good thing to get it checked.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks everyone, your comments are helping keep my mind more at ease and stopping the panic.

Due to schedules this week being more hectic than usual I have limited windows of opportunity to take her in, if it was an absolute emergency of course she'd be first priority but I don't think this is an emergency situation as she otherwise seems perfectly fine. So tomorrow I'll be making some calls to a couple vets that I might be willing to try out and hopefully we can schedule an exam for this week or next. Next week my schedule should be wide open but Tuesday through Thursay and possibly Friday of this week are pretty busy.

Of all the times for something like this to come up she sure picked the worst week and month for it to happen. *sigh* C'est la vie.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Thanks everyone, your comments are helping keep my mind more at ease and stopping the panic.

Due to schedules this week being more hectic than usual I have limited windows of opportunity to take her in, if it was an absolute emergency of course she'd be first priority but I don't think this is an emergency situation as she otherwise seems perfectly fine. So tomorrow I'll be making some calls to a couple vets that I might be willing to try out and hopefully we can schedule an exam for this week or next. Next week my schedule should be wide open but Tuesday through Thursay and possibly Friday of this week are pretty busy.

Of all the times for something like this to come up she sure picked the worst week and month for it to happen. *sigh* C'est la vie.
Unless something changes, she should be fine with a non-emergency visit whenever you can schedule it. Of course you want to get it diagnosed as soon as possible, for everyone's peace of mind, but from everything you're describing, while it's upsetting and worrisome, still this just doesn't sound like an emergency.

Please though, do check the lump very frequently, at least twice a day. If you notice it hardening, shape shifting, or spreading, re-prioritize its status.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts